Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

NTSC-J JAPANESE VS NTSC-J HONG KONG PS2 HZ TIMINGS

Thextera

Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
Hello there,

recently discovered that a modded PAL PS2 console actually has a worse clockspeed than an NTSC Console.

I checked this for Rayman 1 (PS1 game to be: 59.41hz on modded console compared to NTSC Console: 59.82hz

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a NTSC-J console from Hong Kong & 1 from Japan ?

The reason I’m wondering if it’s different is because in Hong Kong, they use 240V50hz standard for their power circuit whilest for Japan it’s not.

I’m just wondering, if I can mod chip a NTSC-J Hong Kong PS2 and still get the same hertz as NTSC-J (Japan) and NTSC-US.

I know there is this dfo dual frequency oscillator Mod you can do but I rather not bother with it.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I'm not sure why you would want to mod a Hong Kong PS2, I mean they wouldn't be easy to find like Japanese consoles.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
even 240V50hz it convert to DC , so no happen clock speed

btw Japan use 100V50 and 100V60 , ;)

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021

Since you seem to be at the location in question, are the PS2 consoles there actually NTSC-J the same as Japan or are they an odd hybrid?
By hybrid I mean like the old discrete famiclone hardware from Taiwan.

I do have at least one PS2 Asian retail release here (Singapore packaging, disc pressed in Japan) but no relevant console.

Thextera

Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
I'm not sure why you would want to mod a Hong Kong PS2, I mean they wouldn't be easy to find like Japanese consoles.
since it's easily available to me currently by a seller close to me. Also, I wouldn't have to get a step down converter either since it's the same specs as europe outlet

So, clock speed will be the same, right?

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
since it's easily available to me currently by a seller close to me.
You mentioned modding a PAL console initially and now a seller close to you has a Hong Kong console.
No idea where you are but surely that Hong Kong console isn't cheap?

Thextera

Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
You mentioned modding a PAL console initially and now a seller close to you has a Hong Kong console.
No idea where you are but surely that Hong Kong console isn't cheap?
Well. it was only 30€ more than the PAL ones I found and it was in pretty much MINT condition with even that little plastic still on the shiny part (left side) of the PS2. So that's why

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
Hong Kong PS2 is magic on........ PAL DVD support ;)

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
There are several revisions of Asian PS2 consoles (Hong Kong models end with 6, Taiwan models end with 7), but to my knowledge the only difference is the BIOS and the power board or power adaptor. It would be really surprising if Asian consoles ran at a different speed.

For what it's worth, here's the mobo of one of my Asian SCPH-70006 consoles. You may be able to spot any differences compared to a Japanese mobo, if there are any.

20200404_110052.jpg
20200404_110115.jpg

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Hello there,

recently discovered that a modded PAL PS2 console actually has a worse clockspeed than an NTSC Console.

I checked this for Rayman 1 (PS1 game to be: 59.41hz on modded console compared to NTSC Console: 59.82hz

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a NTSC-J console from Hong Kong & 1 from Japan ?

The reason I’m wondering if it’s different is because in Hong Kong, they use 240V50hz standard for their power circuit whilest for Japan it’s not.

I’m just wondering, if I can mod chip a NTSC-J Hong Kong PS2 and still get the same hertz as NTSC-J (Japan) and NTSC-US.

I know there is this dfo dual frequency oscillator Mod you can do but I rather not bother with it.

In a word, yes. All the Asia market consoles running NTSC:J games run at the same rate as the Japanese market NTSC:J consoles.

Make a donation