Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

OG Future (Please Read)

Hi All,

I want to address the future of Obscure Gamers as it’s long overdue, this will be a lengthy post so get comfy.

OG is in fact changing hands. Damien has indicated for some time that he wants to step down and focus on a dedicated Hardware Museum (VGPM) and as a result will no longer continue as admin for the site and discord; he will remain as a mod and member going forward.

To ensure the safety of the site, the community, and the breadth of knowledge gathered and shared over the years; the forum, discord and our other media will move away from being release focused. OG will no longer participate in group buys or distribution of software in any way.

We want to make it clear this is the only way for us to keep the site running and the community together. The alternative was for it to be shut down permanently. That being said, I’m sure none of us want to see OG go dark as AG did before. OG is a quirky home for those of us who love the obscure; friendships have been made, skills learnt, insight gained etc.

We don't want to disrupt too much of what we have already. The new focus is more to put OG back on track, potentially opening us up to different content and potentially allowing us to join partner programs.

Some changes have occurred already:
  • Filedrop and some research threads on discord have been removed/archived.
  • Prototopia downloads forum has been disabled. The content contained in this forum will be reviewed and moved if allowed.

We are being selective in order to avoid losing valuable member contributions. Anything blatantly out of line with our future will be archived permanently.

Other than releases and links we don't have issue with other topics, we still encourage discussions on
  • Build research
  • Repairs
  • Modding
  • Reverse engineering
  • Development
  • News
  • Data recovery

The above is a very short list but you get the jist of it. If you have any concerns please reach out.

When it comes to data recovery, we are happy with discussions with what you have along with the community assisting in data recovery, but any file sharing will need to occur privately or off site. Any public links posted on OG will be deleted.

Our marketplace will remain up and active. We have no issue with the sale of hardware or software (disks). More often than not, a lot of these items can be sold on ebay or elsewhere, so we don't see a problem with it at this point.

Regarding donations, OG will continue accepting donations through either kofi and patreon; the funds will be used first and foremost to maintain the site. (hosting, cdn, email, forum licenses and upgrades)

Additional funds will be going towards the following:
  • Giveaway/competitions
    • Discord Memberships
    • Steam Keys
    • Hardware/Disks potentially
    • Merch
  • In person Meetups
    • Staff are around the world, where possible we will setup meetups
  • Bounties
    • Community tooling.
    • RE efforts.
  • Hardware Purchase
    • Proto Research
    • Teardowns
    • Repairs
    • Tools
  • Advertising/Outreach
  • Event Coverage
  • Merch

We are still looking for ways to give back to donors; for now the existing badges/tags on forum/discord will continue however we want to give back more where possible.

As we move forward we want to help the streamers and other vloggers amongst our community grow. We have alot of subscribers across all our media platforms; we intend to put spotlight on some smaller content creators trying to gain some outreach. At this time we are unsure what the best approach here would be, but as we move forward we can consider ideas including posts to our social media, restreams on discord / twitch. Playthroughs, either retail games or development builds, are welcome.

As things stabilise we will also look to expand on the moderator group, and for those of you with a knack for news/engagement can join us in producing gaming content for the site and social media accounts.

Anywho, that's the majority of it. Hopefully it will be received well, we understand some will be disappointed but this appears to be the best way forward at this point in time.

We are looking for feedback and ideas to help grow OG all of which will be considered. More community engagement is a goal going forward.

One final note, theres an issue with the CDN currently, we are trying to resolve it; until then some old images on the forum will throw 404 error.

Hermes

Return to: Site News
I can see what will most probably happen here now, I've seen it on one major emulation site (after downloads were removed) that had a lot of forums activity years ago.

Nearly everyone will leave, some may still use discord but the forums will be even less active than they were before the changes.

New members may still appear but some of them will be asking where to find downloads, only to be told to use search on Hidden Palace and Internet Archive... because requests aren't allowed and downloads can't be provided.

This is very sad. I haven't been here long and was never a member on AG, but OG and AG were always a valuable resource for proto dumps.

As for sharing things privately. I don't have anything myself that people would be after (well except dumps from here or some other sources, nothing of my own), but from experience I would get sick and tired of having to provide shares privately over and over again. It would be enough for some people to just request for their account to be removed or at least ignore all private messages (and discord).

I can see what will most probably happen here now, I've seen it on one major emulation site (after downloads were removed) that had a lot of forums activity years ago.

Nearly everyone will leave, some may still use discord but the forums will be even less active than they were before the changes.

New members may still appear but some of them will be asking where to find downloads, only to be told to use search on Hidden Palace and Internet Archive... because requests aren't allowed and downloads can't be provided.

This is very sad. I haven't been here long and was never a member on AG, but OG and AG were always a valuable resource for proto dumps.

As for sharing things privately. I don't have anything myself that people would be after (well except dumps from here or some other sources, nothing of my own), but from experience I would get sick and tired of having to provide shares privately over and over again. It would be enough for some people to just request for their account to be removed or at least ignore all private messages (and discord).
Its frustrating i get it but until we have a grip on the site and have better/well defined rules this is how it has to be.

OG is home to more than just the proto scene, it needs to be protected for the long run

Im looking Forward to OG Blooming Up again some day in the Future with new Rules , New Thread Sections and all. But i wont delete my Account cuz i like it here.

Where im From (Germany) nobody even talks or knows about Protos (except for that one friend that got Rockstar Games Preproduction Stuff who just vanished into the Darkness where i had my Lost Vikings Disc From 😂) so this Here is actually the only Place for me to Talk about that stuff 😅

Also im down with Producing content for Social Media e.g YouTube as i have had YT Creator Status in the Past , and i got some experience with Sony Vegas and Davinci Resolve.

Onto a New chapter of Obscure Gamers then!

Will backups of the file sharing sub-forums be shared in full somewhere? Because if not, that's a lot of content lost. Also, if file uploads are no longer allowed, I think it would be a good idea to suggest to people that they catalogue their dumps with datting projects, otherwise they will likely get lost (unless your expecting all this stuff to be released by Hidden Palace and Forest of Illusion, which seems unlikely).

The main issue is disabling the download forums. No read only for people to search the thread to download protos that may go missing in the near future.
I get that, and nothing is lost here, we need to disable it until we know what we have. Last thing we want is lost content. We just need a little time to figure things out.

Reactions: CraZyEddy2010
Im looking Forward to OG Blooming Up again some day in the Future with new Rules , New Thread Sections and all. But i wont delete my Account cuz i like it here.

Where im From (Germany) nobody even talks or knows about Protos (except for that one friend that got Rockstar Games Preproduction Stuff who just vanished into the Darkness where i had my Lost Vikings Disc From 😂) so this Here is actually the only Place for me to Talk about that stuff 😅

Also im down with Producing content for Social Media e.g YouTube as i have had YT Creator Status in the Past , and i got some experience with Sony Vegas and Davinci Resolve.

Onto a New chapter of Obscure Gamers then!
We hope too og can regain some of its glory and flourish again, happy to have you work with us on the media side down the line too. We'll have details soon as we finish transitioning accounts. :)

Reactions: n99k3d
Will backups of the file sharing sub-forums be shared in full somewhere? Because if not, that's a lot of content lost. Also, if file uploads are no longer allowed, I think it would be a good idea to suggest to people that they catalogue their dumps with datting projects, otherwise they will likely get lost (unless your expecting all this stuff to be released by Hidden Palace and Forest of Illusion, which seems unlikely).
We'll discuss a strategy that works for og and everyone soon, we won't delete anything and whatever was there can likely be archived externally if we are uncomfortable keeping it here.

Need time to figure it out

We'll discuss a strategy that works for og and everyone soon, we won't delete anything and whatever was there can likely be archived externally if we are uncomfortable keeping it here.

Need time to figure it out
Well I just meant posting the post contents somewhere (anywhere public). They were public before and I don't think the authors of the posts wanted them to be erased.

Reactions: deadlegion
You could restore prototopia with restricted access and read only.
I mean even if the post count requirement was higher than my current post count it wouldn't bother me.
Changing permissions for the creation of threads and posts in there would fulfill the current rule about not posting downloads or requesting things.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Vixenko
What exactly is your reasoning for why OG should stop doing releases and should remove all of the downloads? You said "The alternative was for it to be shut down permanently" but you didn't explain what that means or give any details whatsoever. Did something happen that prompted this decision? If it did, and if you want people to support this decision, then you should tell us what happened. If nothing happened, then why are you choosing to do this all of a sudden?

What exactly is your reasoning for why OG should stop doing releases and should remove all of the downloads? You said "The alternative was for it to be shut down permanently" but you didn't explain what that means or give any details whatsoever. Did something happen that prompted this decision? If it did, and if you want people to support this decision, then you should tell us what happened. If nothing happened, then why are you choosing to do this all of a sudden?
Nothing really prompted it other than damien is moving on.

The staff and myself are not comfortable having the content on the site and from our perspective, the software often brought unnecessary drama and stress to the site, we need it to be a little less high maintenance.

When I say it was this or shut down, it's because we swooped in to take it over before damien moved on to run VGPM.

It's all a matter of trust and obviously it's difficult to find someone to take it over, if damien couldn't trust someone to look after the community then the alternative would be to shut down,its been talked about for almost a year.

Nothing really prompted it other than damien is moving on.

The staff and myself are not comfortable having the content on the site and from our perspective, the software often brought unnecessary drama and stress to the site, we need it to be a little less high maintenance.

When I say it was this or shut down, it's because we swooped in to take it over before damien moved on to run VGPM.

It's all a matter of trust and obviously it's difficult to find someone to take it over, if damien couldn't trust someone to look after the community then the alternative would be to shut down,its been talked about for almost a year.
Not sure what unnecessary drama means exactly.
If it's problems with particular members then you issue bans. Staff misbehave then you revoke privileges at least and look for people that can be trusted.

Yeah I'm just throwing stuff out there because I'm not sure what drama you're talking about.
I do have some experience dealing with "drama" on sites though.

I really hope this issue doesnt go as far back as....

1658403981746.png

What real alternatives are around these days ? Its always stressfull to "move on" and/or start everything from scratch.
AG was my real home and Im less active here, sadly. Guess Im slowly fading away.

I still collect and love to share. Toxic behavior should not be tolerated. Annoying lawyers are a whole different thing though.

Take care !

If doing releases and stuff like that is no longer part of the site, then what exactly do you see the main purpose of the site being? I don't really see much else going on currently. Honestly, it seems like the site has been slowly dying anyway, and it was never that busy to begin with. I think this type of move will only push things further into that slow decay type of situation. There's that, and there's also the fact that this all seems eerily familiar...

Reactions: Randomhero1

Make a donation