Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Saturn OG Saturn Buy 2021 (discussion)

suddendesu

Apr 9, 2021
sudden-desu.net
So it looks like the debug menus from the arcade version are present in both the VF2 protos here, though they're really ugly/hard to see. To be fair, I was using MAME for debugging at the time, so that may be why it looks awful. I will try it with Mednafen later.

EDIT: Well, it certainly looks better in Mednafen, though the default font color is still hard to see. You can change the font color within the menus, though. The following mednafen cheats should enable the menu:

19950911 (30%) proto:

R A 4 B 0 060620c4 0000000000000001 Debug Menu

19951019 (10.5) proto:

R A 4 B 0 0606c52c 0000000000000001 Debug Menu

I can provide MAME cheats too if you'd like.

The system is basically identical to the one in the arcade version (and the arcade derivatives, Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters), discussed here and here. There doesn't seem to be as many interesting options, though, and the controls are of course different.

With the debug flag set, R will acts as the menu display toggle. It also goes back to the previous window when opening multiple windows. Holding Y and using the DPad will move the active window around. The DPad moves the cursor by one step; holding A while moving the cursor moves it quickly. B and C change the values down and up by one step, respectively, and here too, holding A will change the value quickly. For larger numeric values, B and C only change the low byte, while Z changes the upper byte. Start button pauses the game as usual (the game is not paused automatically, like the arcade version) and the L button will advance by one frame when paused.

This menu is not present in the final version, so it's definitely something unique to the protos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tongara and Damien

Damien

Please note I no longer work for OG.
Jan 2, 2021
I'm still around in case anyone wants to ask anything, but all discussion moved to discord so the forums I used to check are all dead or way too slow. (also I only used this nick here and assemblers, normally I use @zyrobs)

Since you are already dumping discs, I guess you won't need that W4012TA then.

Sorry, I missed this. Merlin found one and donated it towards this release in the end. I forgot to update this thread too.

Discord is a bit of a pain and fractures an already small userbase. It's a bit of a shame. And the search is beyond poor.

Reactions: suddendesu

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
So it looks like the debug menus from the arcade version are present in both the VF2 protos here, though they're really ugly/hard to see. To be fair, I was using MAME for debugging at the time, so that may be why it looks awful. I will try it with Mednafen later.

EDIT: Well, it certainly looks better in Mednafen, though the default font color is still hard to see. You can change the font color within the menus, though. The following mednafen cheats should enable the menu:

19950911 (30%) proto:

R A 4 B 0 060620c4 0000000000000001 Debug Menu

19951019 (10.5) proto:

R A 4 B 0 0606c52c 0000000000000001 Debug Menu

I can provide MAME cheats too if you'd like.

The system is basically identical to the one in the arcade version (and the arcade derivatives, Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters), discussed here and here. There doesn't seem to be as many interesting options, though, and the controls are of course different.

With the debug flag set, R will acts as the menu display toggle. It also goes back to the previous window when opening multiple windows. Holding Y and using the DPad will move the active window around. The DPad moves the cursor by one step; holding A while moving the cursor moves it quickly. B and C change the values down and up by one step, respectively, and here too, holding A will change the value quickly. For larger numeric values, B and C only change the low byte, while Z changes the upper byte. Start button pauses the game as usual (the game is not paused automatically, like the arcade version) and the L button will advance by one frame when paused.

This menu is not present in the final version, so it's definitely something unique to the protos.

Oh, nice!
I did make a thread for discussing this prototype on here if you want to repost the info there possibly?
Wouldn't want to rob your stuff! haha

Reactions: suddendesu

suddendesu

Apr 9, 2021
sudden-desu.net
Reactions: Tongara

Make a donation