Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful
EDIT: With paypal fee's taken into account the total left to fund is: £1,125.38 it's costing roughly 5% each transaction.
1618088733107.png

Well that didn't last long.. After seeing what we released recently we were given first dibs on the largest haul of SEGA Saturn discs ever listed for sale, least with the chance to get all released in one go.

While I personally don't want to deal with more dev stuff or group buys, this one is easy to manage due to no reshipping. Myself and OG's staff, and a select group of users decided this was too important to turn down.

To date under 80 SEGA Saturn prototypes have been dumped and released. (We released 13 earlier this month.) If this goes to plan we will increase this to over 150 released SEGA Saturn prototypes.

This lot contains 78 discs, one is an xbox disc, one or two maybe PS1? all we know is there's some high profile games. Some of these may have released in the past, but haven't been dumped to redump.org standards meaning all will require redumping. (Which depends if they're good, due to age.)

All will be dumped with Plextor CD drives meaning higher chances of saving any bad sectors on the disc. Most drives blank out data or insert random data in place when bad sectors are found.

1617921187138.png
1617921331627.png

The discs are sold as is due to age. I guess being too busy to close the museum side to OG yet was a bonus now, which'll mean by UK law all discs will remain in a UK based museum or charity going forward, meaning they won't be lost to time. Due to how we're setup the law means if OG ever died, any items under ownership would be transfered to another UK museum/charity with similar interests. We're unable to sell, or give away anything donated minus data.

Just a few of the titles in this lot, Tomb Raider, Gex, Golden Axe Duel, Guardian Heroes, Duke Nukem, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX), MK Trilogy, Quake, SEGA Rally, Werewolf, Theme Park, Virtua Cop 2, Mystaria: The Realms of Lore.

Some of these are extremely early, Virtua Fighter 2 is marked as 30% completed, While many are 60%, 65%, 70%, 75% complete.

While our last buy took time, these are already UK side and ready to be driven over once Covid restrictions are lifted here. If this doesn't happen they'll be delivered next day via courier with insurance.

On our last lot, the average disc price was £43.69 to £109.22 per disc (converted from USD at todays rates), this lot has a set cost of £4500. This works out at £57.69 per disc. Atleast two in the lot are unreleased games, possibly others as we have no means to check region until dumped. (These appear to be NTSC.)

We've already had 2 donations upfront, meaning this is already 7% funded. Meaning it's now less than the total.

We have Plextor's ready to dump for the SEGA Saturn, And a Kreon drive ready for the xbox disc.

You can see some of our past group buys/releases below,
https://builddb.obscuregamers.com/Data_Design_Interactive_Lot (Still being worked on via Discord)
https://builddb.obscuregamers.com/Steven_Pattullo_Commodore_Lot (To be released later on)

All donations are via Paypal, Which is via Ko-fi https://ko-fi.com/obscuregamers or via our inbuilt donation system.

FAQ

What is the total?
It's £4500.

Can I buy anything for myself?
The discs will be donated to a museum if our company side closes. UK law prevents us selling due to the nature of our setup. This group buy is for data only, to be released once all is dumped/scanned.

Can I be credited in the release if I donate?
Yes you can, We will need your forum name or Discord ID for this please.

What if you don't reach the target?
Donations will be refunded to the paypal account they came from if no deal can be made with the seller.

Last edited:
Return to: Preservation News
How about I’ll buy them for 4500 . And I’ll release them all for free But I want all the discs :cool: for my collection

Due to questions on twitter about what exists, this is a rough list of information we have.

1. Area 51 - 11/8/96 or 11/6/96
  2. Black Fire - 100%
  3. Bones 2 - Final
  4. Bottom of the Ninth - 6.15.98, M007, Review
  5. Chelnov - original, dump came from this cd
  6. Congo - 100%, 3.7B, #25
  7. Corpse Killer Disc 1 - 9/7/95
  8. Corpse Killer Disc 2 - 9/7/95
  9. Darius Gaiden - 12/27/95
  10. Dark Saviour - 8/6, 70%
  11. Dark Saviour - 11/2
  12. Dark Saviour - 70%
  13. Double Switch Disc 1 - 10/3/95
  14. Double Switch Disc 2 - 10/3/95
  15. Duke Nukem
  16. E0 - D0
  17. Fifa 97 - 1/28/97, Preview
  18. Galactic Attack - 10/31/95
  19. Game Breaker - 7/16 (Possibly PS1)
  20. Gex - 11/18
  21. Golden Axe Duel - 75%
  22. Grid Runner - 0423.1
  23. Guardian Heroes - 2/16/96, 75%, Preview Only
  24. Guardian Heroes - 100%
  25. Hyper 3d Pinball - 61003.1
  26. Johnny Bazookatone - 12/5/95
  27. Jupiter Strike - 10/25 (PS1 or possible Cancelled Port?)
  28. Legend of Oasis - 70%
  29. Loaded - 7/3/96, Review
  30. Lunacy - Disc 1
  31. Lunacy - disc 2
  32. Machinehead - 7/96
  33. Madden 97
  34. Magic Carpet - Review
  35. MK Trilogy - 7/1
  36. MK Trilogy - 22/5/97
  37. Mystaria - 75%
  38. Mystaria - 100%
  39. NBA 98 - 65%, 8.12 or 8./2
  40. NBA Live 97 - 2/16, Preview
  41. NHL 97 - Final Code
  42. Panzer Dragoon 2 - 100%
  43. Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox - 11/14/02
  44. Pebble Beach Golf Links
  45. Quake
  46. Quarterback Attack College - B-6, W/4, 10.10.95,
  47. Rage - 2/12
  48. Rage - 13/3/96
  49. Rev X
  50. Rise 2
  51. Robo Pit - 7/16
  52. Sega Rally - Beta
  53. Sega Touring Car - 60%, 8.6
  54. Shanghai - 1.000
  55. Shellshock - 4/16, Final
  56. Shining Force 3 - 11/17
  57. Shining the Holy Ark - 5.21
  58. Shining the Holy Ark - 6/27, Review
  59. Strike - 9/4, preview
  60. Striker 96 - 5/22/96
  61. Tempest 2000 - Preview
  62. Tetris Plus - 1996.7.23
  63. Theme Park
  64. Thunderstrike - 10/16
  65. Tomb Raider
  66. VF2 - 10/5, beta
  67. Virtua Cop 2 - 9/24, 70%
  68. Virtua Cop - 100%
  69. Virtua Fighter 2 - 30%
  70. Virtual Hydlide - Review Copy
  71. VR Soccer - Review Copy 10/15/96
  72. WA - 11/18, 100%
  73. Werewolf - 7/23, original, dump came from this cd
  74. WH - 11/30 (possibly??)
  75. World Series Baseball II - 25/10 or 25%
  76. World Wide Soccer 98
  77. World Wide Soccer - 80%, 8.23 B
  78. WWF - 5/23/96
A few of these appear to match other known dumps in private hands, We'll verify which is the better dump though when it comes around.

We've hit 55% so far, thank you ever so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: MSX and Tongara
Lovely to have the list!
I did end up donating, although I couldn't donate a lot... but I really hope we can get these bad boys out there~

Reactions: Damien
Lovely to have the list!
I couldn't donate a lot, but I really hope we can get these bad boys out there~
Every little bit helps, thank you! I still need to put some in myself along with a few others who said they'd help. So we're getting close. I expected this to take weeks. I've offered to buy sleeves for each disc so there's less risk of damage in shipping/or driving over. It all depends how fast this happens.

The longest part will be dumping each disc, dating, then scanning. Sadly, I'm still only one person which often people forget.

Reactions: Tongara
Every little bit helps, thank you! I still need to put some in myself along with a few others who said they'd help. So we're getting close. I expected this to take weeks. I've offered to buy sleeves for each disc so there's less risk of damage in shipping/or driving over. It all depends how fast this happens.

The longest part will be dumping each disc, dating, then scanning. Sadly, I'm still only one person which often people forget.
We should do a donation drive to buy you a bunch of dvd drives so you can dump a ton of stuff in parallel.

We should do a donation drive to buy you a bunch of dvd drives so you can dump a ton of stuff in parallel.
If only it was that easy. :( We'd need Plextor CD drives and only certain models can work. They're IDE too making it a joy to work with via a laptop.

The Plextor PX-W5224A Dans and I bought cost us around £60 and that was cheap. (Note to self pay Dans!) They normally go for double this. And if we want to do DVD dumps we need a totally different model for that, making it worse those drives normally only show up in the USA and import fees ruin the idea of importing. Although if I find a cheap one I will snag. Ideally we want to find a PX-4012 as it handles errors better but the PX-W5224A's turn up more often. There's one in ireland right now for around £65 but brexit means we'd have import fee's I think.

If only it was that easy. :( We'd need Plextor CD drives and only certain models can work. They're IDE too making it a joy to work with via a laptop.

The Plextor PX-W5224A Dans and I bought cost us around £60 and that was cheap. (Note to self pay Dans!) They normally go for double this. And if we want to do DVD dumps we need a totally different model for that, making it worse those drives normally only show up in the USA and import fees ruin the idea of importing. Although if I find a cheap one I will snag. Ideally we want to find a PX-4012 as it handles errors better but the PX-W5224A's turn up more often. There's one in ireland right now for around £65 but brexit means we'd have import fee's I think.
Sucks...

I have a Yamaha CRW-F1UX I could lend if it can be of help. Maybe not for that if Plextor is required, but it's pretty much the best cd overburner. And it's usb.

It is always good to remember that any DVD drive works with DIC (redump.org dumping tool). Only for CDs that Plextor (and some specific bluray models) works, because the scrambled reading and other features.

It is always good to remember that any DVD drive works with DIC (redump.org dumping tool). Only for CDs that Plextor (and some specific bluray models) works, because the scrambled reading and other features.
I don't know much about Saturn discs, but I was under the impression that the protection is in the "Saturn ring"/wobble. Why is a Plextor drive required to dump it then? Audio offset? Surely that's adjustable after the fact?

@WD if you ever find a cheap-ish Plextor drive in Canada, contact me and we could arrange for my donation to the website this year to be that drive. Sending it as a legitimate gift would bypass fees.

Damn. I wanted a few of these discs. :( I'll donate anyway tho.

@WD When I open the links to check how much you paid for discs previously I see no prices.
Do I need to be logged in? In that case, where do I register? Logging in with my OG user does not work.

Last edited:

Oh no, I understand that completely. I picked up a PX-708UF (One of the Redump recommended models) myself from a seller in Belgium a few months ago for £35 including shipping to the UK (pre-brexit), and luckily with the power brick all I had to do was swap the cable part for a UK plug, as it was dual voltage. Add to the fact that it connects via USB, it's really lovely to have.

That said, I redumped a lot of my stuff including my previously dumped prototypes, and it is super tedious to do, so I get it. We'll continue to be excited, and you just take as long as you need~

Also hopefully this is allowed: If anyone in the Midlands ever needs important things dumped to redump standards, do hit my up. I might be able to help out!

Last edited:
Sucks...

I have a Yamaha CRW-F1UX I could lend if it can be of help. Maybe not for that if Plextor is required, but it's pretty much the best cd overburner. And it's usb.
I'll explain this better below and tag your name.
Yes, they do but I'll explain further below. Will also tag you too :)
I don't know much about Saturn discs, but I was under the impression that the protection is in the "Saturn ring"/wobble. Why is a Plextor drive required to dump it then? Audio offset? Surely that's adjustable after the fact?

@WD if you ever find a cheap-ish Plextor drive in Canada, contact me and we could arrange for my donation to the website this year to be that drive. Sending it as a legitimate gift would bypass fees.
We have a lead on a PX-4012TA USA side, there's two, one is $150 on ebay (plus $80 roughly in fees/taxes/shipping) But there's a user with an untested one. They intend to test and possibly let us buy it for what they originally paid + shipping. Till then I'll use the PX-W5224TA and do further test dumps if we can secure the other and see whats most complete.

Re: why Plextors? @FamilyGuy @Schrodinger they have more memory/cache (not sure exactly which off hand) they can read bad areas of discs better. I.e if using a normal DVD drive and it had mastering/bad sectors it would just spam 000000 instead of actual data. Where's the Plextors can often still read these bad areas once you set the reread count to around 4000 or more.

When we retried dumping the discs with C2 errors last month the Plextor often had the data still, where as trying with multiple DVD drives and even another non-redump approved plextor it just spammed in random data on the bad areas. This means by using these painfully expensive drives we can often save more data/history and the cost is worth it when using 20+ year old discs.

Damn. I wanted a few of these discs. :( I'll donate anyway tho.

@WD When I open the links to check how much you paid for discs previously I see no prices.
Do I need to be logged in? In that case, where do I register? Logging in with my OG user does not work.
Sorry, I wasn't aware of names I kinda dropped a message soon as we were aware and waited on staff consent
to proceed. Thank you for your donation, we will credit every single donator in this.

I removed the old pricelist from wiki sorry, but here's our original spreadsheet for the old buy:

Oh no, I understand that completely. I picked up a PX-708UF (One of the Redump recommended models) myself from a seller in Belgium a few months ago for £35 including shipping to the UK (pre-brexit), and luckily with the power brick all I had to do was swap the cable part for a UK plug, as it was dual voltage. Add to the fact that it connects via USB, it's really lovely to have.

That said, I redumped a lot of my stuff including my previously dumped prototypes, and it is super tedious to do, so I get it. We'll continue to be excited, and you just take as long as you need~

Also hopefully this is allowed: If anyone in the Midlands ever needs important things dumped to redump standards, do hit my up. I might be able to help out!
I see no issue with you offering redump servides, clearly it wouldn't be connected to OG and users would have to accept risks as we can't police everything, but you've never shown any signs of risk and have always been polite and kind so will give you a thumbs up and my trust.

What's the deadline for reaching the goal?
We have 6 weeks from launch. Thank you again for your donation! I will reply to your PM soon, only wokeup a little while ago.

On Twitter it was said 6 weeks, "depending on UK Covid restrictions being lifted"

From this tweet:

That said, the Ko-Fi page states that it is now funded at "83% of £4500 goal"!

It is indeed at 84%, although dumbass me forgot to note that paypal fee's are still charged our side in the totals. I will tally up what has been taken from fee's and correct this later on. It's roughly 5% fee they take for none UK payments.

The seller may ship early if this is sorted sooner instead of driving them to us.

Thank you again to everyone that's shared this news, and donated!

Regarding the cd drive, why do you specifically need only and only the 4012? Last time I checked there were a dozen or so Plextor models, half of which were SATA and some which were external (most of the 7xx line barring a few rebrands, including all the sata and usb/fireware models). Or did redump devolve to the point where only specific IDE drives can be used for dumping "accurately" now?

With that said I can get a W4012TA relatively cheap and assist in dumping if necessary (I'm in the EU, which could make a not insignificant difference with customs now). Segafreak and drx can vouch for me and I did stuff for darkwater, tosec and trurip, although most of that was almost a decade ago and I don't remember what nick I used back then.

Get Madroms' Saturn Region Patch, it allows you to create a text export of the Saturn header + ISO filesystem dates, which should make things significantly easier.

Get Madroms' Saturn Region Patch, it allows you to create a text export of the Saturn header + ISO filesystem dates, which should make things significantly easier.
I can write a python program to do such things as well, in case this program isn't flexible/programmable enough.

I have a collection of drives, several plextors. All obtained for their various strengths. Feel free to hit me up if needed.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: liana_s

Make a donation