Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Open Source NES motherboard

Redherring32

Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Hey guys!
I just wanted to share something I've been working on.
It's a completely reverse engineered NES motherboard, schematics, manufacturing files, and a Bill of Materials (BOM).
Meaning you can assemble your own NES motherboards, or even use the schematic to make a custom board.
I've included some important info on some of the required parts in the readme, so please read though it.
I get a lot of questions regarding RGB etc, so to clear up any confusion, this will work with the Hi-Def NES, or the NESRGB just the same as an original board.

If you'd like to check out the project, you can do so through this link:

If you have any comments or questions regarding the project, I'd love to here what you think!

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
will require the use of an original (...) CIC Lockout chip to function.
What, do we really not have an open source reimplementation of that thing yet, after all those years, and having covered the SNES and N64 ones? What gives? :eek:

Edit: Well there's this, so is it just an issue of it not being a 1:1 drop-in replacement?

Redherring32

Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Haha yeah, we have an open source one for cartridges, but from what I understand that's only capable of key (slave) mode.
However you don't even need it technically, if you leave it out you just gotta wire up the reset button to directly pull the RST line low.

This does however have the downside of needing to reset after turning in the NES in order to initialize the cartridge, as the CIC normally does that automatically. (This is something I'm looking into fixing, so that we can ditch the CIC altogether with no downsides)

Reactions: cta

Ice Man

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
Ice Man
AG Join Date
Dec 4, 2017
Very nice! I was thinking to do the same for me but never got around to do it yet.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Is there any documentation about aftermarket CPU and compatibility?

boardin27

Registered
Jul 11, 2020
Thanks for making it and open sourcing it! This is definitely on my list of things to build. I’ve never sourced a BOM and printed a board so it should be a nice learning experience.

Reactions: Redherring32

discworld

Registered
Feb 2, 2020
AGName
discworld
AG Join Date
Nice work! how are you doing that? are you working in the electronic industry or are you made this as a hobby? :)

Redherring32

Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Before the pandemic hit my day job was construction, and I did woodworking on the side, I just did this as a hobby side project.
But for now until I can work again I work on stuff like this almost full time.

Reactions: discworld

GHFear

Jul 20, 2020
I am going to be building custom mobos and nice looking cases like crazy now <3
Thank you man!
This is awesome!

XBOX

Registered
Dec 22, 2019
Krzysiobal... I knew that I heard it somewhere before hmm..

Make a donation