OpenLaura Open Sourced Tomb Raider engine ported to original Xbox

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I just wanted to let people here know that the OpenLaura Tomb Raider engine has been ported to the Xbox. I played the first game and it runs pretty great in 720p. So far the first 3 games are supported, but only 1 is completable I believe and 2 and 3 still need some work. The engine supports the first 5 games in the series, so with later versions hopefully we will get them all on the system eventually highly polished.

There are ports for many systems such as the Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and even Android and PC. I am hoping for Dreamcast and PS3 ports. The guy even made a proof of concept port for the GBA!

Source: https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara/releases/tag/latest

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Wow :O That's some impressive stuff getting it to work on the GBA!

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Indeed! Even if it is just loading up the level with UFO camera, it is super impressive the engine and the level were able to load up at all. It is my hope that this can come to Dreamcast maybe since the fact it is on the GBA shows it can be ported to more ancient systems than Original Xbox. PS3 may be hard to do if not able to run hardware accelerated homebrew games. Still waiting on those custom Linux RSX drivers for PS3 a guy has been working on for over the past year or so.

But, the controls on this are amazing and feel right at home on the Xbox controller, like it was meant for it. You can use left analog stick to move, or D-Pad. If anybody compiles it, it is best to use the PSX version since the PC one lacked certain things like dynamic music ques.

If anybody wants to give it a test, it is actually uploaded to Internet Archive.

Tomb Raider 1

Tomb Raider 2

Tomb Raider 3

Reactions: JackUzi

Make a donation