Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
About a year ago, I've been using my xbox normally and next day I tried to turn it on, but there were no signs of life. I had another xbox v1.6, which was working so i took psu from there, didn't help. There is no signs of corrosion, broken traces etc. Anyone knows what is wrong with it?

PsychoLavos

Jul 25, 2019
Holy shit, this is Deja Vu. I think I may know what's happening. It's probably an issue with some Capacitors. I have the same issue, which I haven't replaced yet. If you have Soldering Skills, try ordering some new Caps & replacing them. From what I've gathered, get a few Nichicon 6.3V 3300uf Capacitors. I had someone help me track the issue. The pic included below, The Caps are circled, Those Caps should be causing problems. In my case, they're bulging. You can kinda see Orange stuff on the caps.

Attachments

• xboccap.png
    xboccap.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 0

JustAnyone

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
those caps actually look like non-leaking but okay i will do that, i had to do this for another motherboard, or at least i will recheck them with a tool.

JustAnyone

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
15640563567834257015223077797710.jpg

here is how mine looks like

APE

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
Holy shit, this is Deja Vu. I think I may know what's happening. It's probably an issue with some Capacitors. I have the same issue, which I haven't replaced yet. If you have Soldering Skills, try ordering some new Caps & replacing them. From what I've gathered, get a few Nichicon 6.3V 3300uf Capacitors. I had someone help me track the issue. The pic included below, The Caps are circled, Those Caps should be causing problems. In my case, they're bulging. You can kinda see Orange stuff on the caps.

Your image is too small for me to tell,"orange stuff" doesn't come out ofcaps in my experience, not by a long shot. More likely it was something added at the factory.

That said, the XBox is old enough for recaps to be needed. I believe the clock cap not being there will stop the 1.6 from booting but I don't keep them around long enough to be certain. If you're going to recap be careful as the XBox will suck up heat and make it really hard to use braid or even a pump. Really should use a desoldering gun I feel.

PsychoLavos

Jul 25, 2019
Your image is too small for me to tell,"orange stuff" doesn't come out ofcaps in my experience, not by a long shot. More likely it was something added at the factory.

That said, the XBox is old enough for recaps to be needed. I believe the clock cap not being there will stop the 1.6 from booting but I don't keep them around long enough to be certain. If you're going to recap be careful as the XBox will suck up heat and make it really hard to use braid or even a pump. Really should use a desoldering gun I feel.

By "orange stuff", I mean the chemicals leaking out. I should also mention that I had cleaned those caps with a Q-tip before taking that pic.

I zoomed into the pic. It might not be that noticeable, but you can kinda see Orange Pixels on the edge of the caps.

Edit: Having technical difficulties with the Image.

APE

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
Still not quite sure what it is, photo quality is too low but I'd replace them anyway. I don't think electrolyte can cause rust but maybe that's what you've got here.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Still not quite sure what it is, photo quality is too low but I'd replace them anyway. I don't think electrolyte can cause rust but maybe that's what you've got here.
And of course they don’t have to bulge to be bad either. Those caps are filters for the cpu, they are all wired in parallel. It doesn’t take much to screw that up and they are well known to fail

Domspun

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
Mine didn't even looked bad, but they were faulty. Replaced them with the highest quality ones than can probably survive next to the sun (kidding).

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Probably a bad trace.

Make a donation