clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I have a legit pal yoshi's island and super mario all stars with super mario world cart that won't boot on a samsung led tv. When I set my snes to 60hz, the nintendo logo appears but I immediately get the region lockout message "this game pack is not for you super nintendo or super famicom console". On 50hz, my tv fails to recognize that there is a signal coming from the snes.
On a crt tv though, those games boot and play as normal.

Those games though, boot perfectly on my led tv whenever I play them from my sd2snes.
Meanwhile, I read on videogameperfection that supercic has sync issues on led TV's, but there is no info about the issue I am having. I suspect that the flashcard has some extra region patching for games like these.

bond.san

Registered
Jun 30, 2019
AGName
bond.san
AG Join Date
06/25/14

Using a Modded SNES with Flashcards

In general, using flashcards like the sd2snes, SuperEverdrive and PowerPak together with the region patching activated is not a good idea. I try to explain why!

First of all, one has to understand how a region patch works. In the S-PPU2 register $213F bit 4 shows whether the SNES is running in NTSC-mode or in PAL-mode (set up using S-PPU2 pin 30 or S-CPUN pin 111). Many games are checking this register on start-up (or during the gameplay) and check the value on bit 4. NTSC-games expect a '0' whereas PAL-games a '1'. If the bit does not return the required value, the game ends with 'This gamepak is not designed for your SFC/SNES' or similar. A region patch observes the address bus B and recognizes a request of $213F. Then the patch forces on the data bus bit 4 GND or Vcc by simply 'beating'/'overdriving' the output of the S-PPU2.

An important point is how the region patch 'knows' which value has to be written. On this modding PCB the SuperCIC-lock outputs the value on pin 3. The bit is determined using the CIC-key found on the cartridge. And this is the point where flash-cards become 'critical' for the region patch. As the SuperCIC-lock only checks the region of the cartridge using the CIC-key, the SuperCIC-lock CANNOT know which region the loaded ROM is. The overwritten value on bit 4 during a $213F request might be incorrect! As flashcards have there own region patching (at least the sd2snes; I don't own a SuperEverdrive or PowerPak) you can simply switch off the region patch of the modding PCB (using Sel+L+R+Dw; LED-code: red-off-red).

A very last remark to the sd2snes:

As the SuperCIC-lock is part of the sd2snes project, there is another solution: the so-called 'Pairmode'. The pairmode is available with the firmware v0.1.7 preview 4 or later. In the Pairmode the SuperCIC-lock goes into a pairmode-loop with the sd2snes. In this loop, forced region, LED status and the ROM region is constantly updated.

To change the forced region (and thus the LED-state) using the sd2snes (via the config.yml or the option GUI -> SuperCIC Settings), the uIGR has to be in the SuperCIC-mode (using Sel+L+R+Le / Sel+L+R+Ri) as the uIGR is master and the SuperCIC-lock slave regarding the region set to the SNES. As the ROM region is updated constantly, the region patch on the modding PCB can be left on. I recommend to switch the sd2snes-own region patch off in this case (via the config.yml or the option GUI -> In-game Settings).

Try disabling region patching, let me know how it goes. :)

clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
So, I disabled region patching. Super mario all stars boots on the first try without any issues. Yoshi's island on the first try displays the region lockout screen, but upon reseting the console, boots and plays normally .
I'm still confused though why this happens on my led tv only.

By the way, I discovered a weird graphic glitch on mario all stars that happens on super mario world 1 only, either on my led or my crt.
When I'm on the end of a level and hit the tape on the goal post, the screen is filled with random flashing parallel lines. They disappear when you go back to the world map. This happens on 60hz only, on 50 hz all is normal.This issue doesn't seem to appear on a normal super mario world 1 cart

Make a donation