Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I have edited the font texture and edited the values to 2 bytes of the binary, to start translating text
But now I have found a couple of problems.
The font being 2 bytes, it may not have space to translate the text, so it would be better to edit the font to a single byte, but I don't know how to do it.
And the second problem is the spacing between characters, I can't find it.
7205_Captura_de_pantalla_83.png

This is how I have edited the bin font
7206_Captura_de_pantalla_84.png

I hope someone can help me, so I can translate the game smoothly with the font

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Wow nice to see this in a language I can read! I do know the Russians made their own translation of this game. Seriously hoping for an English version as well! Maybe check that version as it would be MUCH easier to translate from Cyrillic to Latin characters.

I believe this is it here. I uploaded it to my personal MEGA account last year. Should help you figure it out much easier than going from Kanji to Latin. Worth a try.

Reactions: fafadou

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Thank you, but the Russian version does not have the credits translated, and for the rest it is better to guide me from the PSX version.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Ah ok sorry about that. I wish you the best of luck on your project! Please keep us updated!

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
for translating kanji megavolt85 use this website for hydra castle project :

maybe you can find a spanish version.

It's an important thing I wish to have an issue there is a lot of picture in kanji impossible to translate with standard method.

Reactions: Anthony817

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I have passed the problem to the first post

Last edited:

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
It looks like there is the font and vwf together,
do you have try to replace the x20 by something smaller ?

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I have tried to change 0x0014, since I suppose the value goes to 2 bytes, and 14 in hex is 20 in decimal

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
Have you fin an issue finally ?
Maybe it's like RECVX the size is an IEEE number.
Have you find the FONT file ? Count the pixels width of each caracter.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
If I have already tried many things and still do not find the value, although I did find a ram value of 0x0014 that makes it smaller, but I cannot find it in the bin.

Each character has 20x20 pixels

• Sad

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
In IEEE 0x14-> 00 00 60 41
In IEEE 0x20 ->00 00 A0 41
Maybe something like this : in little endian 0x00 14 gives 0x14 00

Patching 0x20 between each caracter in your screen capture gave nothing ? If you replace them by 0x00 or 0xFF ?

I have no more idea... I'm sorry.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I have tried all possible values and so far I have not seen anything, I have been trying for days, and I no longer know where to look
The entrance to the source is given by this address
0x7FFAC in the binary

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I definitely can't find a way to narrow the text and much less how to change the font to a single byte to gain space in the binary.
As you can see in the image there is a lot of separation between characters and therefore it does not take the necessary text unless you shorten the phrase to the beastCaptura de pantalla (85).png

Unless some hacking expert like @YZB, @megavolt85 , @SiZiOUS , @japanese_cake or someone else, I think I will not be able to continue with this translation

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
I notice in your screencapture, the width of the highlighted "Si" is no good too. The size is set to "Yes".

It's just a way I'm trying to test in order to understand how to convert a codebreaker widescreen code to hex.
If I look to the codebreaker adress in the binary, the area is often full of 0x00 00 00 00.
I guess this area is written in game and the value changed.
But there are some pointers to locate this area.

Maybe there is at least one pointer to 0x7FFAC in the binary probably in little endian format 0x 0C AF 7F 8C or 0x 7F FA 0C 8C
If there is really at least one, you can change it to an unused area and patch the caracter width like I have done for RECVX in order to patch the start of text with a vwf access that japanese version uses only a constant.
Japanese_cake do that when he's building a vga patch.
Here you are a little lucky it will be just a number, no assembler code to build. I hope.

It's just an odd idea I had yesterday ^^ I don't have time to look closer. It's probably not an issue but who knows ?

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
The highlighted areas are the same size regardless of the characters displayed, so that's not a problem.
As you can see, now with the "NO" illuminated, only it is centeredCaptura de pantalla (87).png

From what I have seen, the game consists of two sources of subtitles and another for "menus" (but this is not necessary to edit).
They are only interested in editing the subtitle

The first font I think is used in the subtitles of the menus and save messages and is located at offset 0xB48E0
And the second font is used ingame and is located at offset 0xB56F4

What you comment could be done, but I have no idea how to assemble the code, I could only locate the pointers that access the sources.
The pointer that accesses the first font is 80 1A 08 8C and it is found 12 times in the bin
The pointer that accesses the second font is AC FF 08 8C and it is found 1 time

Saving this problem with the source, this game is easy to translate into other languages, and more for English, French and German, since you have everything you need in the psx versión.

Last edited:

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
So there are pointers, it's a good thing that showing you, you are in the right way :)

But the issue is not the font but vwf (Variable Width Font ), in grandia 2 project the vwf was not in main binary as often but in an other file with texts of menus in an afs.
If in this area from adress 0x08 1A 80 to the end of 0xAC FF 08 if you have no number in any format about the width 20 pixels (You can also reverse pointers in order to see a difference).
It means you have to look around your text files or around the FONT files.
the VWF is a short file with small numbers inside around 2ko 4ko.

It's surprising me, because all letters do the same size, but it's a very good new, you'll be able to fix the each letter size "i" and "m" in particular.
But when I look the word "entrenamiento" that used the other FONT, the "I" and "M" are well size, it means you have a complete VWF and not just a constant like we had for resident evil code veronica jap version.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Outside the binary I have not found anything relevant, although I may be wrong.
In the binary I have kicked many values and I have not achieved anything, except for many game freezes.
Trust me, I have gone through 0x14 values, and modified IIEE values from 0040 to 0044, all with no results.
What I have found are 0x1400 values, which modify the size of the character, but not the spacing, these values are written in RAM, before each subtitle.

I have seen them on the offset, 2C70XXXX and 2CB0XXXX

The word "ENTRENAMIENTO" is a texture, since I have all the textures already translated into Spanish.

I have been with the source problem for almost a month, dedicating 3 and 4 hours a day to it, so you can imagine everything I must have edited.

Last edited:

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
What I have found are 0x1400 values, which modify the size of the character, but not the spacing, these values are written in RAM, before each subtitle.
ok the issue is spacing not the size, I'm sorry.
In the bin font you showed, I can see a space 0x20 between each letter, I guess you have already try to replace them by 0x00.

If you have finaly find the 0x1400 value, may you can replace it by 0x0000 and you'll have character only on set space ?

I have seen them on the offset, 2C70XXXX and 2CB0XXXX
You have find that with cheat engine ? It's because it looks beyond the main binary...

Reactions: Pitito

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
The original font goes to 2 bytes in kanji, what I did is edit the bin font to 20 41 20 42 etc ... ( A B C etc.....), to be able to edit the text more easily, I mean that 20 before each character is the first byte of the two bytes of each character.
Yes, use cheat engine, and the game loads the ram text from that offset, and before the loaded text are the separators and character size.
But each character uses its own separator and font size.

Make a donation