Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS1 PaRappa the Rapper (Sep 24, 1996 prototype)

mementomori

proto d00d
Staff member
A9L Staff
Donator
Registered
Community Contributor
Donations
£7.46
Reaction score
AG User Name
madmarsrocks/AntDRAG
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
Hey everyone, here is a pre-release NTSC-J build of PaRappa the Rapper!
PaRappa1Disc.jpg
It's only dated 3 days before the final NTSC-J build, with an EXE date of 09-24-1996 in comparison to the final date of 09-27-1996. This build contains minor differences to the final build. At this time it is unknown if any debug functionality can be found.

Here's what has been uncovered so far:
  • Stage 7's audio file, STAGE7.XA1 apparently differs from final, however the differences are trivial/unnoticeable. This also applies to Stage 3's FMV. These may need further investigating, but the files in the final build could just be simple re-renders or exports.
  • S8/XMOVIE8.STR, the end credits of the game, includes a credits sequence that differ from the final build slightly. A couple of examples include "P.Fleaswallow" being referred to as "P.Freaswallow" and Joe Chin's last name being lowercased.
  • The executable file is named PRR.BIN instead of SCPS_180.02. This appears to differ from the final build but at this time it is unsure in what ways.
  • Every folder's COMOD(X).BIN file differs from the final build. As there seems to be a lack of public documentation for PaRappa 1's file formats, all I can gather is that there seem to be a lot of internal differences from these bin files to the final. The English dialogue appear to match the final NTSC-J release, unsure of Japanese dialogue.

List of files that differ from retail that are worth investigating:
S0/COMOD0.BIN S1/COMOD1.BIN S2/COMOD2.BIN S3/COMOD3.BIN S5/COMOD5.BIN S6/COMOD6.BIN S7/COMOD7.BIN S7/STAGE7.XA1 S8/COMOD8.BIN S9/COMOD9.BIN SS/MOVIE3.STR PRR.BIN

I'd like to thank @hwd405 for helping me with the initial research of this build. Without them I wouldn't have a release post with the research it has now, and what other PaRappa fans can go off of.

Enjoy the build, I'd love to hear of some more cool findings!

DOWNLOAD:

Last edited:
shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6