Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Pippin Atmark Engineering sample?

iriez

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
I do not know very much about pippin. This is the first unit I've gotten and couldn't pass up a opportunity on a prototype. Also came with a sample floppy unit as well.

Does anyone know if the retail units came with the SDK?

According to the mac geek museum this is apparently a prototype. It looks very close to final if not final to me, but do not know enough about these units to compare internals.

Curious if this would be considered a dev unit, or was there no dev units for pippin, only retail hardware and a software SDK?

Thanks for all opinions on above questions and price guesses.

Reactions: pool7

StevO9389

Registered
May 30, 2019
The only prototype I have seen doesn't look anything like the final product but more like a CD-I and almost 100% certain no form of SDK was provided with retail units. A lot of info I found when researching mine was pippin.fandom.com and one other site I'll have to dig up later. It's really cool to see you scored the FDD with it because finding even a loose controller (not the mac version) is kinda rare let alone super expensive.

Reactions: bond.san

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Looks like either part of a dev kit or a sample before it went through final certifications

My bet is it’s part of a dev unit

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
nice , I want it ~ :)

iriez

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
The only prototype I have seen doesn't look anything like the final product but more like a CD-I and almost 100% certain no form of SDK was provided with retail units. A lot of info I found when researching mine was pippin.fandom.com and one other site I'll have to dig up later. It's really cool to see you scored the FDD with it because finding even a loose controller (not the mac version) is kinda rare let alone super expensive.

Hey guys, thought i had this thread watched for replies but I guess i didnt =)

I appreciate your info. I would imagine its intended to be for dev coming with the SDK and I really appreciate you confirming the retail units did not come with SDK's!

I've not found any other info anywhere else. Reached out to the mac geek museum with no response. I'll try the guys over at pippin.fandom.com! thanks for the advice.

Yes, I was aware the FDD's are rare but wasn't sure exactly how rare. I would really like to compare board pics with some other dev units and find out if this has any extra HW for dev, or if its just a close-to-retail final production sample.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
It's quite possible it's just a Japanese retail unit with a "sample" label on it in order to make it possible to import to the US without getting FCC certification. I had some "prototype" DS3s like that - they were simply Japanese retail units, but since they didn't have FCC certification Sony classified them as "prototypes" so they could install them.

Have a look at the rear panel and see if it has "VCCI" and "JET" markings - if so, then it's almost certainly a Japanese spec retail unit.

Reactions: iriez

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
I can't remember where I read/heard this, but I think all PiPPiNs could be used as devkits since all that differentiated them and retail consoles was a dongle.

Reactions: iriez

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
here some more pictures of the prototype devkit (not my kit):

Lihkl0Ao.jpg -00LOw19.jpg snU_SBFQ.jpg

Reactions: pool7

ItsMeMario