Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
helakustorm
AG Join Date
Oct 16, 2016
Has anyone used this combination?
Does it work?
I'm asking this question because I think that the cable from RGC site (Sony PlayStation 1 PS1 Component YPbPr cable) doesn't contain anything inside to be different than the official component cable for PlayStation 2/3.
In the future I want to buy a RetroTINK-2x and I want to be sure that this combination is good to go.

Thanks!

Last edited:

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
Inputs:
The RetroTINK 2x has composite (cvbs), S-Video (Y/C) and Component Video (YPbPr) inputs that support signals from all retro gaming consoles.
The inputs can only be used one at a time and it’s strongly suggested that you do not leave consoles plugged in at the same time, even if they’re off.
As a note, the chip used in this device does not support RGB, so an RGB SCART input will never be an option.

PS1 don't have YPbPr out, only RGB

Reactions: Jimmy Neutron

helakustorm

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
helakustorm
AG Join Date
Oct 16, 2016
Taken from the RGC site:
Coming soon. We will soon be releasing component cables powered by a RetroTink RGB to Component YPbPr converter for a wide range of classic games consoles including the following:
Sony PlayStation 1
Perfect for use with the RetroTink x2!

Coming soon. Component YPbPr cable for the Original PlayStation which doesn't output Component video natively.

And here is a video of someone modifying the cable to suppport RGB through Component on a Sony PVM monitor:
Getting RGB out of a Sony PlayStation 1 with a modded component cable

I have a loose component PS2 cable that I can mod it but I want to be sure if RetroTINK-2x will work or not because from what I understand you must somehow rewired the sync to luma pin or something to make it compatible (I must document myself a little more on this matter).

Thanks!

Last edited:

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
Sony PVM support RGB
RetroTINK-2x don't support RGB
No matter how you remake the component cable PS1 will not work on the RetroTINK-2x

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
PS1 on PS2 looks pretty good, I use and Swear by HD Retrovision cables and would consider pairing them with the Retrotink.

MonkeyBoyJoey

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
MonkeyBoyJoey
AG Join Date
March 1, 2015
You'll need a RGB to YPbPr converter for your RetroTINK 2x in order to use PS2/3 component cables with the PS1. The RGC cable has a RGB to YPbPr transcoder circuit inside the cable.

Last edited:

helakustorm

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
helakustorm
AG Join Date
Oct 16, 2016
Here is the info from the Component YPbPr cables section:
Coming soon. We will soon be releasing component cables powered by a RetroTink RGB to Component YPbPr converter for a wide range of classic games consoles including the following:
Sony PlayStation 1
Perfect for use with the RetroTink x2!

Here is the info from the product page:
Coming soon. Component YPbPr cable for the Original PlayStation which doesn't output Component video natively.

Here is a picture of the cable:
Sony%20PlayStation%201%20PSone%20component%20YPbPr%20cable%20retrogamingcables%20240p-1000x1000.JPG

From a first impression, looking at the image I don't see an encoder or something, installed inside the cable.
They say very clear that this cable will work on the PlayStation 1 using the RetroTINK-2x.
What do you think?

UPDATE: MonkeyBoyJoey thank you for the answer!
Then, they use a very small transcoder circuit inside the cable! (maybe inside the connector that goes to the console or the area from where the wires are divided).
Case is closed!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Make a donation