Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PlayStation 2 Memory Card Manager for PC with GUI? (using physical memory cards)

layzee

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
layzee
AG Join Date
Aug 28, 2006
Since there has been recent development with the PS2 (i.e. direct bootable PS2 game DVDs), just wanted to check if there had been any progress regarding managing PS2 game save files using only a PC, an official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor and physical memory cards?

Basically something similar to the below, except that's for PS1 memory cards. From all of the PS1 memory card managers I've tested, this one is the best.
Playstation 1 Memory Card Manager using the official Playstation 3 Memory Card USB Adaptor
Just install the memory card driver, insert PS1 or even PocketStation to PS3 Memory Card Adaptor, then connect PS3MCA to PC by USB, then load and manage the memory card images and/or individual save files as you see fit. Simple and easy.

As far as PS2 memory cards go, the best methods I've found (albeit with extra steps) so far are:

1) Homebrewed PS3 console: insert PS2 memory card to official PS3 memory card adaptor, transfer PS2 memory card image to PS3 hard drive, transfer PS2 memory card images from PS3 to PC with direct network connection.

2) Homebrewed PS2 console: insert PS2 memory card, dump PS2 memory card image to HDD or USB with wLaunchELF homebrew app, transfer PS2 memory card image to PC.

3) A more direct method is the "PS3-MCA" memory card manager program but it is command line only and handles full memory card images only, not individual save files.

lilkuz2005

Jun 17, 2020
i would also like to see something like this, to be honest i would like to see a tool that can do both ps1 and ps2 memory cards, be pretty handy, something like dexter or psxge but with added ps2 support, and maybe have the program read the card to know if its a ps1 or 2 card and configure its self to manage it, i have been wanting something like this for years, im not a coder though, so im stuck waiting on someone with skills that wants the same thing as me lol

layzee

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
layzee
AG Join Date
Aug 28, 2006
I'm also not a programmer or anything but it's probably something to do with the PS2 MagicGate encryption. Or maybe lack of demand/interest.

As it is now, we have to go a roundabout way of doing things in order to backup and restore our PS2 memory cards. I wish for a PS2 memory card manager than can basically manage things down to a per-save file level via drag-and-drop. So if I wanted themed memory cards (e.g. a memory card for RPG games, a card for Square Enix games, a card for fighting games, etc), we can do it in a few minutes at most if we had a good GUI.

The official internal PS2 card manager on the PS3 console is almost there, but one major flaw is you can't copy and paste multiple save files at the same time. You can only manage single individual save files at a time or copy/paste a whole card image. Which is a little funny because you CAN do that with PS3 save files (click and select multiple save files).

Make a donation