• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Trade PlayStation VCD SCPH-5903

HI_RICKY

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
del.

Last edited:

JustAnyone

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
sorry that this is an off-topic question, but what is the difference between normal ps1 and this VCD one?

Contezero

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Conte Zero
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2017
sorry that this is an off-topic question, but what is the difference between normal ps1 and this VCD one?
As you may guess from the photos, is able to read Video CDs, the grandfather of DVD format. In Europe they never had a significant market share but in Asia markets they were more common. This is why a lot of console at the time had a VCD upgrade available: CD-I, 3DO, Amiga CD32, Sega Saturn and also Dreamcast (software only).

This is the only model factory enabled from Sony (by adding an extra pcb) with this capability. For the other models add on were unofficially released by third parties. They connect to the EXP connector or internally (where the exp connector should be so they are available also for PSONE). From the images I guess it interface directly with the cd mechanics so you can see VCD and still use the EXP connector for other Stuff (Caetla, PSIO ecc). No games use it.

Here there is a image of the PCB. The Add on module is on the left.
B2-7USmCUAE5S7d[1].jpg

JustAnyone

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
As you may guess from the photos, is able to read Video CDs, the grandfather of DVD format. In Europe they never had a significant market share but in Asia markets they were more common. This is why a lot of console at the time had a VCD upgrade available: CD-I, 3DO, Amiga CD32, Sega Saturn and also Dreamcast (software only).

This is the only model factory enabled from Sony (by adding an extra pcb) with this capability. For the other models add on were unofficially released by third parties. They connect to the EXP connector or internally (where the exp connector should be so they are available also for PSONE). From the images I guess it interface directly with the cd mechanics so you can see VCD and still use the EXP connector for other Stuff (Caetla, PSIO ecc). No games use it.

Here there is a image of the PCB. The Add on module is on the left.View attachment 1650
thanks for clarifying my curiosity.

Max_Power

Reaction score
AG User Name
NavK
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2016
Neat... The tradition continues about learning and discovering new hardware ...from AG....

Trimesh

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
There are also a couple of slightly annoying things about this model - the first one is that despite having an expansion port I've never managed to find a cheat cart that works with these models. There are a few that just simply don't work, but in most cases they crash the console on power-up. At first, I thought this might just be a defective expansion port, but after trying 3 different SCPH-5903s and getting the same result I eventually had to conclude there was a fundamental incompatibility somewhere.

The other thing is that both a VCD disc and a Playstation game are CD-ROM XA discs with a data track as track 1. The boot ROM uses the presence of the wobble code to distinguish between them. The result of this is that if you put a modchip into a SCPH-5903 then you lose the VCD function because the console detects VCDs as being Playstation games and tries to boot them - which obviously fails.

HI_RICKY

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
del.

Last edited:

HI_RICKY

Refugee
Reaction score