Here are some links you may find helpful

Porting OG XDK to VS2019?

dotslash

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
Redacted
AG Join Date
Anyone think this would be possible? I love all the efforts on NXDK, but I really dig the official XDK.

As it stands, I have to boot up an XP VM, install Visual Studio .NET 2003, then install the XDK. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is broken on Windows 10 and won't go past the project wizard. I was thinking it would be cool to integrate with a newer VS. Less hassle, intellisense, nice formatting, etc. AFAIK the build tools themselves work fine on win10.

I'll be investigating this a bit. Just wanted some community input.

EvanSki

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 19, 2019
Couldnt you run Visual Studio .NET 2003 on the virtual machine but install it on your host pc? Im not sure if it would work seeing how windows 10 is weird about programs

dotslash

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
Redacted
AG Join Date
Couldnt you run Visual Studio .NET 2003 on the virtual machine but install it on your host pc? Im not sure if it would work seeing how windows 10 is weird about programs

Sorry, I'm a little confused by this. VS 2003 is installed on my VM. I have to compile and deploy to the xbox from this VM.

I've tried installing VS 2003 on my host machine (Running Windows 10) but it is very broken / buggy.

If Windows 10 can still run the underlying build tools, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to integrate them with a modern Visual Studio. This is only partially about the hassle. It's not a big deal to set up a VM and run it the oldschool way. I'm very interested in using intellisense with Xbox development. Helps with a lot of brain farts, e.g. `Know what function I'm wanting to use, but forgot the parameters`, knowing what's wrong before I compile, etc.

Reactions: EvanSki

lv1

Jun 25, 2019
AGName
illobrandt
AG Join Date
Apr 8, 2013
If you just want to use VS2019 for code editing and building, it should do to create a Makefile Project and then supply a makefile that invokes the corresponding tools from the XDK. For 'proper' integration you'd probably have to write custom MSBuild .target files which I suspect is a bit more work but most likely allows for additional functionality like exposing compiler/linker settings in VS via the project properties for example.

Reactions: dotslash

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
why.... this sounds dumb... i know VS2010 works on windows 10.... just why why why why why... lol nevermind i tho this was xbox 360 coding not xbox og

dotslash

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
Redacted
AG Join Date
why.... this sounds dumb... i know VS2010 works on windows 10.... just why why why why why... lol nevermind i tho this was xbox 360 coding not xbox og

I see that you changed stance, but I don't think anyone should take shame in maintaining / preserving something for thinking it hasn't been "long enough". If this were maintained from version to version of VS, I'd have a much easier job, and the people before me to thank. A lot changed in 9 years. VS19 is nice, it's more than the core functionality I care about. Today we say, "eh, VS 2010 works, don't bother", 10 years from now, we might find that VS 2019 works, but 2010 is broken.

Either way, it doesn't seem like that much work, and is a learning opportunity for me. Never worked with VS extensibility before. Think I've made good headway on this project, but again, it's my first time doing something like this... I really don't know how far along I am haha.

If you just want to use VS2019 for code editing and building, it should do to create a Makefile Project and then supply a makefile that invokes the corresponding tools from the XDK. For 'proper' integration you'd probably have to write custom MSBuild .target files which I suspect is a bit more work but most likely allows for additional functionality like exposing compiler/linker settings in VS via the project properties for example.

Thanks, I'm looking at full integration for now. Playing with the target files and rules. Really want to bring in the VS UI for debugging, and memory viewing at some point. idk what that would take, but I'm sure the debug API is documented somewhere.

Last edited:

dotslash

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
Redacted
AG Join Date
Working on a whole `toolset` for now. By that I mean, bringing in The real (back in the day) tools to build. How far off is the current gen linker from the XDK linker? It doesn't have support for the "XBOX" subsystem. Is this anything more than a single byte claiming to be Xbox susbsystem? I'm using the original for testing, but I'd get a good kek out of using a modern compiler / linker.

Imagebld will exit if it doesn't see an xbox subsystem, could forge it pretty easily to test. Subsystem actually do anything?

thenameduser

Jun 17, 2019
Hmm... I have VS .NET 2003 SP1 installed on Windows 10 and for me it is mostly usable. I even installed and can run VS 6.0, but THAT seems to be the buggy one which has problems.

Make a donation