Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Other Prototype e-reader cards, or fakes?

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Hey guys! It's been awhile.

So I like to collect the old GBA/GCN e-reader cards. While I was browsing through eBay, I came across something I've never seen before.

A seller allegedly has "prototype" e reader cards from Star Wars, Fantastic 4 and Batman.

1614271089890.png
20210225_135107.jpg

20210225_135117.jpg

While there were a few sets of e-reader cards with third party franchises (like Hamtaro and Domo) I've never heard of ereader cards with these three franchises. I also couldn't find any information with research.

I reached out to r/Gameboy on reddit and they seem to think these are fake, and I think I agree. Still... this seems like a really weird item to try to fake.

I reached out to the seller for more info and am currently awaiting a response.

I thought I'd share to see if any of you have any information, and if you think this may be real or fake.

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Definitely fake from the uh... "interesting" spelling FantRstic and dlayer

Would be interesting in picking up a set though, like you said, damn weird thing to pirate and not even pirated real cards, very odd!

edit

Oh dang, just seen the price, not a chance, £70 for a fake that might not actually contain anything functional isn't worth it.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Definitely fake from the uh... "interesting" spelling FantRstic and dlayer

Would be interesting in picking up a set though, like you said, damn weird thing to pirate and not even pirated real cards, very odd!

edit

Oh dang, just seen the price, not a chance, £70 for a fake that might not actually contain anything functional isn't worth it.
Yeah, I'd pick it up just to see what's inside, but he's asking for a lot

Edit: I wonder if it's some fake unofficial thing from a long time ago

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
It's the perfect crime, noone's gonna open such a rare item to find out.
If I get my hands on these, I'll open it.

So the seller said they got it from a storage unit, and all they know is someone else sold one on ebay before. Not super helpful :/

Reactions: ItsMeMario

code1038

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
code1038
eBay Username
code1038
there are a lot of misspelling in French :/

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
The Star Wars pack looks kinda legit?
I'm not saying it actually is legit, but it does have "Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith".

I've seen a lot of bootleg Star Wars stuff over the years and that pack doesn't look so bad.
Yeah English/French errors on the back but whatever...
If it was cheap enough I'd consider buying it myself but the price mentioned is just crazy. The other packs mentioned aren't things I would be interested in, unless I found them on the ground or in a bin.

Yep, I bin dive. Only the big skips though.

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
The typos are beyond just beeing typos...ah well, who knows...

Reactions: Pinta77

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Why do we/seller think they're E Reader cards? The packs/cards says nothing about it, the cards don't have any bar codes or markings that they are e reader cards. They look like rip off Magic the Gathering or Pokemon Cards if anything.
Edit: I see a mention in the text in the Star Wars one does mention it. Still, just look at the Batman ones (which also is listed as E Reader cards in the auction)

s-l1600.jpg

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
They all say it. Hint: look up what "dot code" means...
I know what it means, but they don't all say that. I was looking at the Batman ones, they don't say anything about it. I mean even the pictures in this post mention it, so that's why I made the edit

Unfortunately it's only the Batman ones which are pictured opened. It'd be interesting to see what the ones that mention it would have on it. It specifically says "some cards". Very strange

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Update for anyone who cares.

I offered the seller a few hundred for all of them but he won't budge. He wants 2000 Canadian for it, and im not paying that.

Oh well, guess we'll never know. But we probably have an idea already.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
That's crazy lol
Yeah. We've gone back and forth a bit, so hopefully I can make him a deal at some point. I think what I'm willing to pay is very generous for what this is

sammyrms1

May 30, 2019
AGName
sammyrms1
AG Join Date
Nov 1, 2014
Even if the cards claim to have e-Reader support, I doubt that they're functional.

Reactions: Pinta77

Weinflames

Registered
Mar 25, 2020
AGName
Weinflames
Why do we/seller think they're E Reader cards? The packs/cards says nothing about it, the cards don't have any bar codes or markings that they are e reader cards. They look like rip off Magic the Gathering or Pokemon Cards if anything.
Edit: I see a mention in the text in the Star Wars one does mention it. Still, just look at the Batman ones (which also is listed as E Reader cards in the auction)

s-l1600.jpg
The fact that it uses the shape of the FC Barcelona emblem for the pictures make me think they’re not very official.

Make a donation