Registered
Jun 6, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dickibow
AG Join Date
February 25, 2005
Nice video and covers most parts except one thing - the early lasers which are often found in 1000-3000 models had a plastic laser sled mechanism. Have you ever turned a PS1 upside down and it fixed the problem? If so, the plastic sled has worn down, and you can glue a little strip of metal to it to raise the laser head up a bit and refocus properly on the disc. It’s only worth doing as a last resort but a real Sony laser is preferable than a Chinese clone.

There is a nice guide here online if you want to try: http://psxplanetcodes.tripod.com/repair.htm

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Yes I briefly mentioned trying it upside down. Sled was fine. Def laser burn out

Reactions: dickibow

l_oliveira

Registered
May 31, 2019
Sorry but that laser pickup is visibly tilted outside, which means it is mechanically worn out. Nothing to do with the laser emitter being worn out. The laser beam hits the disc at an incorrect angle and that is what gives the impression it is worn down electrically.

I no longer have a single plastic body PS1 laser anymore, I cant show how it looks like when it's worn sadly.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Sorry but that laser pickup is visibly tilted outside, which means it is mechanically worn out. Nothing to do with the laser emitter being worn out. The laser beam hits the disc at an incorrect angle and that is what gives the impression it is worn down electrically.

I no longer have a single plastic body PS1 laser anymore, I cant show how it looks like when it's worn sadly.

It’s just the camera angle / the lens. I measured the laser with digital calipers and all around the measurement was identical. Angles and cameras can do tricky things with perspective :)

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
Last edited:

Make a donation