Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
My TV only has composite, component and HDMI. Since it has no Scart RGB output, I was thinking of using the 2nd best choice - the official S-Video cable.

Does an S-Video to component adapter exist? And will it keep S-Video quality?

(Sound is not an issue, I'm plugging the L/R cables to an active speaker separately)

DocRus

Jun 12, 2021
AG Join Date
Look for Koryuu Transcoder. But in my opinion that option doesn't make much sense. Converter like this isn't going to be cheap and you'll be stuck with Svideo quality. You will be better of with some kind of upscaler or line doubler.

In case you're not afraid of soldering GBS Control with RGB SCART cable is the cheapest option. You will not get reference quality with this setup, but it will be a lot better than SVideo.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
Crap I thought there could be a straight adapter from S-Video to something else, I don't need the quality upscaling or anything, just something that passes S-Video to another connection, but it seems I've been dreaming all along.
Thanks for the information and it looks like I'll be stuck with composite.
Unless there's a way to convert S-Video to HDMI without a transcoder or something expensive that requires external power. I'll be having a look shortly.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Cheapest option is to get an old working crt that has s-video, or even a decent plasma. Although with plasma you need to be careful about burn.
Free stuff, and you just plug those old consoles in without worrying about compatibility.

Over the years I've picked up several SD crt's with s-video (one huge trinitron even has component). Less than a year ago I got a Panny 1080p plasma for nothing (with manual, stand and remote but not boxed), that has everything except scart and dvi.
A smallish crt like 34cm or so won't take up much space and they're really handy for old consoles. Best to get something that is multi region though... not sure where you are but all of my tv's are PAL/NTSC. A couple even do SECAM as well (not that I need it).

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah no, space is a big issue, I need everything on the same TV :(
Maybe a small sony flat tv with s-video, it might still possible to find one around here. so i just take it out and connect it for playing ps1

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
A lot of LCD panels aren't that good for old consoles like this. But some are ok, a good Sony might do the job.
Honestly I can't see the issue with a CRT around 34cm (13") space wise, it should fit on a kitchen chair.
Another thing about used LCD panels is that a lot are junk. Backlight going, speakers are mostly crap even new, impact damage to the screen from poor storage or whatever...
CRT's are generally quite robust comparatively speaking. Even a cheap tube will do if it has had little use. Also no lag.
Store it in the bottom of your wardrobe and pile stuff on top of it.

At work we throw out so many used LCD tv's all the time, they're defective for various reasons.
CRT and plasma are turfed too, but the vast majority of those are totally ok. It's just company policy to not sell those now.
We were selling plasma right up until just before covid, but after a big lockdown we came back and were told not to test and price them. Such a waste.

A Toubib

Dec 10, 2020
AGName
A Toubib
AG Join Date
Another option... if you have PS2. Use Component on PS2 and play your PS1 games on it. On a lot of older TVs it works pretty good (not sure on the brand new TVs).

Might be worth a shot if you have a PS2.

Make a donation