PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
So My Phat PS2 has begun the "Turn it on and set the clock every time." loop. Which I assume means I need to swap out the internal battery with a new one.

Is it as simple as opening it up and taking the battery out or do I have to take the whole thing apart and desolder /solder something?

Look it up on YouTube didn't yield many satisfactory results.

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
Depends on the model, some have it on the side of the disc drive which is accessible after lifting off the top shell. Be careful as you can very easily accidentally disconnect the power button ribbon cable from the main board if you haven't done this before. If it's not located here, it is on the main board which will require complete disassembly. They are socketed as well.

cAGYNO8uk2BXMXCkfUMagOf5rVshRaTeH_vl2N8eOms.jpg

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
So My Phat PS2 has begun the "Turn it on and set the clock every time." loop. Which I assume means I need to swap out the internal battery with a new one.

Is it as simple as opening it up and taking the battery out or do I have to take the whole thing apart and desolder /solder something?

Look it up on YouTube didn't yield many satisfactory results.
Soldering is only needed on early SCPH-3000x (V1/2) units, the position of the battery socket there is pure evil, you need to desolder the daughter board from the motherboard assembly,Late 10 screw models and all 8 screw models have the battery in a more sane location, most will still require extensive disassembly
V4 is the easiest, has the battery on the side of the dvd drive V5-11 need to be fully disassembled. V3 is the same as V1/2 but the assembly is stacked rather than soldered, one of the easiest to do

Reactions: Nully

EvanSki

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 19, 2019
Once youve taken it apart all you have to do is pop out the battery and replace it set the time and there you go, had to do this a while back as mine finally died

andDevW

Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
andDevW
Does anyone have a source for the OEM PlayStation branded CR2032 batteries? Sony appears to have quit using them in newer PlayStation consoles. Really a tragic loss of a cool detail that Sony should have kept alive in all the subsequent consoles.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Does anyone have a source for the OEM PlayStation branded CR2032 batteries? Sony appears to have quit using them in newer PlayStation consoles. Really a tragic loss of a cool detail that Sony should have kept alive in all the subsequent consoles.
They stopped using those midway through the ps2 fat production, I think they sold them at retail for the pocketstation though

Reactions: andDevW

Make a donation