psydefx

Original poster
Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
i bought this network adapter. it appears to be new but packaging is different than the ones ive googled. also upc says scph-10305u.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l16005.jpg
    s-l16005.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
That looks like the version they sold in Canada - they used the Japanese style adapter without the analog modem because by the time it came out hardly anyone in Canada was still using dial-up and it was cheaper.

Reactions: ItsMeMario

psydefx

Original poster
Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
That looks like the version they sold in Canada - they used the Japanese style adapter without the analog modem because by the time it came out hardly anyone in Canada was still using dial-up and it was cheaper.
interesting. are they not that common cause ive never seen this exact version anywhere online?

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
interesting. are they not that common cause ive never seen this exact version anywhere online?

I honestly don't know - I just remember seeing them one time I was in Canada back when the PS2 was still current and noticing the lack of an analog modem port. I also just noticed that it has "UC" on the label - which is the code that Sony generally use for North American product (USA/Canada).

psydefx

Original poster
Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
I honestly don't know - I just remember seeing them one time I was in Canada back when the PS2 was still current and noticing the lack of an analog modem port. I also just noticed that it has "UC" on the label - which is the code that Sony generally use for North American product (USA/Canada).
ok thanks for the info

jedivulcan

Jun 5, 2019
AGName
jedivulcan
AG Join Date
January 5th, 2012
i bought this network adapter. it appears to be new but packaging is different than the ones ive googled. also upc says scph-10305u.

It was sold as part of the PS2 Linux Kit in North America.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
They're very common in Europe.

I think this is more about the packaging - the actual adapter is the same as the EU and Japanese version. It's not standard for the US, though - that was the SCPH-10281, which differed from this variant because it had both a network port and an analog modem.

I still suspect this is a Canadian market product, not least because it's marked in English and French but without Spanish, which is normal for Canada, but would be unusual for the US market.

Reactions: Americandad

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
I think this is more about the packaging - the actual adapter is the same as the EU and Japanese version. It's not standard for the US, though - that was the SCPH-10281, which differed from this variant because it had both a network port and an analog modem.

I still suspect this is a Canadian market product, not least because it's marked in English and French but without Spanish, which is normal for Canada, but would be unusual for the US market.
Thats the Linux kit adapter.
My US issue network adaptor has French/English but no Spanish. The manual is Trilingual. Same with my DVD Remotes. My guess is it has french on the box due to the laws in Canada doesn’t seem there is any similar law in Mexico.
Btw the tape seal is consistent with that too, I am not aware of any normal U/C items that had that.

Reactions: psydefx

psydefx

Original poster
Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
Thats the Linux kit adapter.
My US issue network adaptor has French/English but no Spanish. The manual is Trilingual. Same with my DVD Remotes. My guess is it has french on the box due to the laws in Canada doesn’t seem there is any similar law in Mexico.
Btw the tape seal is consistent with that too, I am not aware of any normal U/C items that had that.
only thing i find weird is sony didnt include a yellow ethernet sticker like other retail versions

Make a donation