• Good day, Guest!
    Flowers in Chania

OG is raising money to form a non profit community interest company enabling us to preserve more history than ever before!

Unfortunately, like most things in life this is going to cost money and we're asking for some help from the community. All users will be given donator status, along with early updates and depending on how much you help us with we'll try to chuck in some free merch!

This will cost us roughly $850 for two years including business address/phone number etc which is needed to register a business bank account within the UK.

You can help us by making a custom pledge, or by making a general pledge as it all helps us greatly. We're happy for a one time donators via Ko-Fi, Patreon asks monthly so please be aware. To prevent charge backs we're unable to accept Paypal at this time. Although once live this will be sorted too!

One time donations can be sent via our Ko-Fi,

Or for monthly please visit our Patreon, Ko-Fi is preferred as they charge us less fee's. Become a Patron of Obscure Gamers!
  • The Obscure Gamers 2020 Light and Dark themes are now live! Please report any bugs and make any suggestions you may have to a member of staff.

PS2 Slim 7700x not spinning

pato

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
What could be? My PS2 was having a issue with the laser reader and decided to replace the whole disc reader set (laser, disc rotor and ribbon cable), but the disc rotor is not spinning, could it be the RS chip?

Nully

2019 Donator
2019 Donator
Reaction score
AG User Name
lh
AG Join Date
What was the original issue, did you replace the entire deck as one piece? Can you see the red light in the lens when holding the lid sensors down, is the lens bobbing up and down, did you try cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, did you try reseating the ribbon cable, did you remove the anti-static point, does a CD read, are you using the correct replacement (mainly the spindle is going to be the issue [take note that the worm drive cable isn't backwards on the connector as well, this differs between models], try swapping the pickup into your original assembly).

Last edited:

pato

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
What was the original issue, did you replace the entire deck as one piece? Can you see the red light in the lens when holding the lid sensors down, is the lens bobbing up and down, did you try cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, did you try reseating the ribbon cable, did you remove the anti-static point, does a CD read, are you using the correct replacement (mainly the spindle is going to be the issue [take note that the worm drive cable isn't backwards on the connector as well, this differs between models], try swapping the pickup into your original assembly).

I've went back into the store where I bought the kit, turns out a few pins of spindle cable had been let out, replaced it and it worked.

cta

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
> back into the store
> into
As in, a physical brick-and-mortar store? That carries PS2 replacement parts? O_O
Cherish it, there can't be many left.

pato

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
> back into the store
> into
As in, a physical brick-and-mortar store? That carries PS2 replacement parts? O_O
Cherish it, there can't be many left.
Correct, maybe this is one advantage of the third world countries ,LEL

Nully

2019 Donator
2019 Donator
Reaction score
AG User Name
lh
AG Join Date
I've went back into the store where I bought the kit, turns out a few pins of spindle cable had been let out, replaced it and it worked.
Great to hear. Hopefully this will be a lesson to others, to not freak out and assume the absolute worst about a problem as I see all the time because it rarely ever is. ;)