Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Hello,

I have a small problem with my PS2 TOOL DTL-T10000

For the little story, it is a dead recovered tool (with the two IBM HDDs dead).

At the time I recovered the image of the unclejun image disc (toolhdd1.img) on assemblergames (thanks a lot for this !).

So I completely rebuilt the 30g disk image on a 40G HDD with the DD tool (linux tool).

The PS2 TOOL is functional again. OHHH YEAHHHHH, but ...

I have a problem for read game (validity of CD) on my PS2 Tool.

All CD / DVD Pal tested, the PS2 TOOL sends me this every time : "This is not PlaySation 2 disk. Illegal media is detected" (show attach files)
But voila, it works with the only JAP game I have: Dragon Quest VIII ...

So I started to seriously investigate the machine, I checked all the DIPSwitch, they are all OK. I am in DVD / TOOL configuration

So I updated the rom to rel300.bin available in the SDK via ProDG -> OK.
I also updated the dsnet packages via the web administration of the tool -> OK
All CD/DVD it's in perfect condition, and Dragon Quest VIII start easy
But still the same problem.

I launched a Diag via the user account Z, it returns me an error which I do not know interpreted: "iopdswchk: == NG"
I hope someone can help me, I am in a difficult situation ...

Thanks

Little precision : i don't have a DVD Emulator PCI Card, and i have the first revision of PCI Card PC.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3327.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3327.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 0
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3313.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3313.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Ok, i have try more game and new argument reset 0x000F0002 0x100 (thanks FiresSkies)

But, i have discover somthing, i can play :

DVD JAP Dragon Quest VIII JAP (i have only this for try jap) => Working with "reset 2 100"

CD PAL "Ridge Racer V" & "Theme Park Wolrd (i have only this for try CD PAL) => Working with "reset 0x000F0002 0x100"

DVD PAL Doesn't work => "This is not PlaySation 2 disk. Illegal media is detected"

an idea please ?

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
Older Tool units may only recognize japanese games, but yours run PAL cd games, that's weird.
Do you have any dvd-r around?
Try dumping one of your PAL dvd to an .iso, patching it as master with Loser's utility, burning that and try to run it on the Tool?

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Thanks for your quick reply, i have only DVD+R, but i have tested with DVD+R to copy "DVD JAP Dragon Quest VIII JAP " but doesn't work.

I try to buy DVD-R quickly for test
Edit : order has been maked ;-)

I have others questions :

1 - The second HDD connected to the PCMCIA Card inside the PS2 Tool is for what ? DVD Emulator fonction ?
2 - When a put WS, nothing change on the LED, but of course the IOP not working. For what WS led don't light UP ?

Thanks

Last edited:

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
Did you patch the Dragon Quest .iso as master wity Loser's DiscPatcher?

1)not for the dvd emulator, which uses an extra PCI board and another board sandwiched between the Tool mainboard and the cd/dvd drive controller board.
See it as the external pcmcia drive, except i'm not sure it's supported as-is with the retail software that use the external hdd (for the scph-1x000) or the expansion bay hdd (for all the other fat models).
You can definitely use it with the beta linux kit for PS2, you'll have to compile your own kernel, support for that hdd is in the sources, not in the kernel binary on the disc.
If the idea of running Linux for PS2 on your Tool is fun, do it!

2)WS mode is only used to reflash the firmware in the case the flashrom update in Tool mode went bad. Don't worry about the LED.

And one last thing, the Diag tests were terribly outdated, it was stated many times in the Sony newsgroups, don't rely on them for anything, especially as your Tool runs some games.

The only diagnostic you can trust is the EE/GS selftest dipswitch, which i'll let you find on your own!

Reactions: AKuHAK and Xrider

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Good News : the PS2 TOOL DTL-T10000 can take the DVD+R.
I have patched a PAL ISO (doesn't work on my DTL-T10K) with DiscPatcher3, and the PS2 TOOL Play the game with this argument :
reset 0x000F0002 0x100

Thanks a lot unclejun and krHACKen for your expretise.

Now, i have some questions :

1 - It's possible to modify the PS2 TOOL (hardware or software) for take the PS2 PAL Game with no Patched Disc ?

2 - I would like try intall beta Linux on PS2 TOOL, but i don't have a source for download the ISO (it's Linux Beta 1.0 genuine disk or modded release ?)

3 - Where can i take a tutoriel or other thing for compile my kernel and install linux on second internal HDD ?

Again, Thanks you unclejun.

4 - For what my PS2 TOOL Take CD PAL but not DVD PAL ??

Last edited:

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
1) i think it's not possible, but i'd like to hear the opinion from other members.
2) the genuine disc or a copy, i'll reupload the .iso somewhere if no one gives you a link to it first
3)also, to install it in the first place you'll need the pcmcia external hdd, the retail versions of the external hdd and pcmcia card are identical to the dev version except for cosmetic purposes.

You can read the Redhat 5.2 manual at
It covers kernel compilation in the 11th chapter.

4) it might be a laser problem...

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
I have found the Linux Release 1.0 (2 DVD) but no the beta version.
I have found this from old assemblergames :

You say : "Here's the Linux Beta iso:".
I don't have found the Beta version.

Can i make the same for the TOOL with the 1.0 release ? or have you a link to the beta version ?
Thanks

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
Someone just shared the linux beta in the downloads section.

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Big, thanks for everythings sir !

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
If you replace the original kernel on the dvd with the one compiled with the Tool support in, you may be able to install it directly to the 2nd hdd in your Tool, but you'd need the kernel first.
If you have a retail PS2 you could install Linux and do the compiling there...

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
I have started to install linux, but a have missing something : The VGA Adpater. I have nothing at the screen (only 1 seconde and i see the distorted image.)

I go for make adapter by myself with LM1881N.
Can you confirm ? i can't show linux screen with no RGB cable right ?

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Thanks you so much again !

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
During the install it will format your memory card, use an empty one or backup any saves you have in case you have just one memcard.

Reactions: Xrider

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
I failed to mention that you can use the vga out of the Tool (the one above the PS2 multi out) to run Linux in VGA, and games in 480p too of course.

Reactions: pool7

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
WHaaa, it's very good new ! Big thanks for this detail !

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
I have burn 2 dvd from the PS2 Linux R1.0 for try it, i have patched the DVD 1 on Master. I can play it.
But the DVD 2 can't be patched and i have this result when i put the DVD2 :

IMG_1407.JPG

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
WHaaa, it's very good new ! Big thanks for this detail !
I thought it was obvious enough!

Keep using the Beta Release instead.
Don't use the Release 1.0, that's the main problem with it...unless maybe you extract all the files from Disc2 and remake a proper .iso with a SYSTEM.CNF and an executable, like those from Disc1 on it, then patch it to Master, it might do the trick.
Or you could look for the Blackrhino distro from somewhere, that might work, i don't remember if the disc image is patchable by default.

AKuHAK

Registered
Jun 29, 2019
AGName
AKuHAK
AG Join Date
You can also write HDD image with pre-installed stuff and play with but I think that without modified kernel any Linux stuff will not be working...
Anyway, you can try for example my old BB Navigator collection. BB Navigator use as a base PS2 Linux 1.0 with an updated kernel and some exclusive apps. This image also contains Blackrhino image and Linux 2.6 with Kernelloader, but I think that kernelloader isn't working on TOOL.
anyway you can try.
after writing this image launch uLaunchELF through dstools and fix HDD with HDD Checker. Then navigate to PP.OPL/APPS and launch BB.ELF

And I hope that you made backups of all HDDs before all your manipulations!

Make a donation