Here are some links you may find helpful

PS3 cleanup gone wrong

Jibanyachu

Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
AGName
Jibanyachu
Hi

Today I had my dad cleanup my PAL 60GB PS3 because I was getting a few minor skips while watching DVDs and Blu Rays on it. He spent 3 hours dismantling the system, cleaning it up and putting it back together, for some of that time I wasn’t in the house. However, upon testing it, it appeared the disc drive was no longer working at all! I insert a disc, it didn’t suck it in! Dad tried forcing the disc in and repeatedly switching the system on/off but nothing! The blue light didn’t blink, but the system still beeps when I press eject!

Anyone know what could’ve gone wrong? Was the system not put back together correctly? Was a wire accidentally left disconnected?

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
The disc sensor in the drive of those fat PS3s breaks VERY easily, IIRC, the wires easily rip out. Also if the drive was taken apart, it's very easy to put back together incorrectly - where it seems like it's right but it's not. Take it apart, and try again.

It's also possible the ribbon cable was not inserted correctly. The tabs that keep the cable down easily snap off. But if the Bluray daughterboard isn't connected (if the drive is disconnected, that is), then this would be easy to figure out because nothing would load - even games off the hard drive. You'd get a black screen.

Those fat PS3s are a pain to work on the first time.

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Can confirm, have torn down fat systems about a dozen times and can take them apart and clean up pretty well now. First few times is a bitch. I think I know what sensor wires you are talking about, the little hair thin red wires right? Very delicate.

Make a donation