Here are some links you may find helpful

PS3 Game MAG Builds!!

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
Greetings everyone!

I have decided/begun the start of preservation of the game "MAG: Massive Action Game"!! My goal is to work with the others who wish to preserve the PS3 games here.
If anyone IS interested I am seeking Dumps or Builds of the game! From Dev Builds, to Private Beta, to Open Beta!

Hopefully by the end of this I (possibly with others) will re-create the MAG Servers and have them be playable without PSN.

Check out this Google Spreadsheet for missing builds and what is already archived!

Update: Check out the MAG: Unofficial Discord Server! If you are a fan of MAG and want to check out this project, come join here: https://discord.gg/ydxCVJN

Last edited:

hermesconrad

Donator
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
Ā£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
I have 3 builds packaged with a zipper build agent, still trying to get them to run. I'll see what u have in your spreadsheet and let you know

Reactions: JumpSuit

raidriar

Nov 6, 2019
AGName
Raidriar
AG Join Date
11/5/2019
This game is a treasure to me, I would be amazed if I can just even access the tutorial level again.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Wait a minute. You are going to make this game playable online without the use of PSN access? So banned jailbroke consoles will be able to play this online? Can you please clarify what you mean here?

Thanks.

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
Wait a minute. You are going to make this game playable online without the use of PSN access? So banned jailbroke consoles will be able to play this online? Can you please clarify what you mean here?

Thanks.
If possible yes I would love to play this game even if on a locked down PS3 Console. There is some data in the dev builds Hermes has that allows already for users to input a name without PSN Sign-In believe it or not when testing. I've been busy with my own projects that I haven't gotten around to putting resources into this. Apologies! 2020 Might be the year since MAG shares DIRECT information with the SOCOM games! ?

Reactions: Anthony817

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
This game is a treasure to me, I would be amazed if I can just even access the tutorial level again.
Well we have to get past certain checks the game does first! :) I would love to play this again as much as the rest of you guys for sure I put lots of time into this when I was younger and never had the chance to get any of the dope DLC(Which is archived!!)

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
That sounds promising. I don't reckon this means there would ever be anything in here that could help other games work online off of PSN? Call of Duty 3 doesn't even let you host a local game over LAN without being connected to PSN...

I saw somebody posted this project over on reddit. Would this maybe be of any use to you?

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
That sounds promising. I don't reckon this means there would ever be anything in here that could help other games work online off of PSN? Call of Duty 3 doesn't even let you host a local game over LAN without being connected to PSN...

I saw somebody posted this project over on reddit. Would this maybe be of any use to you?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't reckon this means there would ever be anything in here that could help other games work online off of PSN" As some of the builds I've tested (including a different dev build of MAG) DO ask for PSN Sign-In before connecting to Zipper Servers. So I'm going to have to take a look and compare them build wise/code wise to know what is different and if it can be patched out of MAG. CoD3 probably is similar to Warhawk in that respect since that game does ask for PSN Sign-In as well, BUT not for LAN Games.So i think Activision took extra precautions for some reason to keep Users Signed in to PSN. I can't speak for CoD3 since I've NEVER touched it. Only MAG, and SOCOM4 Dev wise currently. (And Gaming Wise.)

Regarding that 'PSN Emulator' That maybe something to look into once it gets more fleshed out. Judging by the github, it hasn't seen attention in 4-10 months? (I mean by DeltaFlush themselves) So i am unsure to call it a dead project or abandon-ware until I see something from it progress later on!

Quick Edit: More MAG Builds are being discovered every month, eventually the plan is to get 2.12 (Latest Known Working Version before Deactivation) back Online and hopefully functioning as it should in the endgame. It is going to help if the earlier builds (Especially from the Private Beta) were discovered, that may give more insight as to Medius and possibly Reverse-Engineering it!
This btw would help games with Medius as that is what the servers for MAG and Socom ran on, so in theory this can be used to rev-eng other Medius PS3 games too!

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Sounds cool! What all other games were using Medius servers besides MAG and Socom?

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
Sounds cool! What all other games were using Medius servers besides MAG and Socom?
As far as I know currently: Warhawk, Playstation Home, Twisted Metal, I think the Resistance: Fall of Man (If I recall, that game or the entire franchise...) I'd think the LittleBigPlanet games (Primarily 1, 2, MAYBE 3.) Killzone games. Mainly Sony First Party Games ran Medius.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Oh damn, if this could eventually lead to the Resistance and Killzone games being brought back online I would be super thrilled!

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this information.

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
Glad this is getting a surprising amount of attention! I will do more work with MAG soon! At the present moment I've got a personal game project I am making! I do plan to further this!

francisc0x5e

Mar 22, 2020
Glad this is getting a surprising amount of attention! I will do more work with MAG soon! At the present moment I've got a personal game project I am making! I do plan to further this!
Hey I just made an account to reply to this. I am a dev who is looking to help revive this game in any way I can. I loved this game and even being able to play via emulator would bring me a lot of joy. Please let me know what I can do and how I can help.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I hope he responds to you soon, it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this! ;)

JumpSuit

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
I hope he responds to you soon, it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this! ;)
I am aware :p

He is actually already within the MAG: Unofficial Discord! If anyone else is interested please join!
I am a little dormant atm with the project since I have a personal project of mine I am working on Anthony šŸ˜

I haven't stopped on MAG tho, after I feel my personal project is in good state, I can shift back to Rev. Eng. MAG!
šŸ˜Ž

kushmir

Jun 24, 2020
AGName
kushmir
Would love to see some of the info on this. Also: can someone link me to the discord?

Make a donation