• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Dreamcast PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Maverick

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Maverick
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2014
I have used my GDEMU clone for almost a year now. Will be a year in August, but it has worked great for myself. So if you can't get an official one, a clone is a smart choice if it is your last resort. In fact some new ones were going for $25 on eBay brand new earlier in the week! Just keep searching around.
After failing 4 times to get in on that pre-order, including last week. I am giving it one more shot before I just go the clone route. So it's satisfying to read people are happy with their clones.

He says the newest GD-USB update removes the expiration timer:

me:

Him:

I still say I don't know if the timer was removed, because I never had a GD-USB ode to begin with so I can't verify either way. But he's now said to two different people in this topic, through email correspondence, that the expiration timer has been removed.
Burned bridges. Even if he did remove it, there are a whole lot of people who will longer trust him anymore.

My early clone is flawless, and for $70 I don't regret at all
Good to know, I did read some clones had the wrong crystal oscillator installed. Though, replacing it with the right one is pretty simple if you know basic soldering. I believe that is no longer the case though.

Wombat

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
For those wanting to buy a legitimate GDEMU, with this trick you will exactly now when it's possible to make an order :cool:

1. Make a free account at https://uptimerobot.com
2. Configure a monitor for the page; https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-gdemu/
3. Set keyword "closed" and set it on "keyword does not exists"
4. Now it's just a question of waiting until uptime robot sends you an email that they keyword is down, meaning the order page is up =)

The e-mail you'll get once the pre-order page is active:

Aaaaaaaaand it's gone!

8bitplus

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
8bitplus
AG Join Date
Guess I'll have to update the firmware on my USB-GDrom. Haven't used it in months, hope it still works.

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
Guess I'll have to update the firmware on my USB-GDrom. Haven't used it in months, hope it still works.
You should try it out first before updating and see if it works?

Maverick

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Maverick
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2014
For those wanting to buy a legitimate GDEMU, with this trick you will exactly now when it's possible to make an order :cool:

1. Make a free account at https://uptimerobot.com
2. Configure a monitor for the page; https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-gdemu/
3. Set keyword "closed" and set it on "keyword does not exists"
4. Now it's just a question of waiting until uptime robot sends you an email that they keyword is down, meaning the order page is up =)

The e-mail you'll get once the pre-order page is active:

Aaaaaaaaand it's gone!
Awesome, setting one up now. Thank you

truemaster

Refugee
Reaction score
ha mnemo define the word don't buy. im happy that I have gdemu. now the va0 owners can do the ide mod dreamshell is improving. ps nice to see familiar faces here

Skylark

Reaction score
This is both a poor business decision and an even worse technical choice. Bad press aside, single points of failure are bad. What if he's hit by the metaphorical bus and is put in a position where he's simply unable to release new firmware?

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
As the guy who runs the official GDROM EMU community I'm so damn close to banning the USB one from discussion and boycotting it period. IF he keeps this timed firmware bullshit up I will do just that. MY hopes is that if the guy who got this all started makes it clear he does not appreciate it then perhaps changes will come. (I doubt it but worth a try.)

Other reason for ban if I do is to save people the heartache this has caused.

darcagn

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
As the guy who runs the official GDROM EMU community I'm so damn close to banning the USB one from discussion and boycotting it period. IF he keeps this timed firmware bullshit up I will do just that. MY hopes is that if the guy who got this all started makes it clear he does not appreciate it then perhaps changes will come. (I doubt it but worth a try.)

Other reason for ban if I do is to save people the heartache this has caused.
The firmware that was released on 6/6 is supposed to have removed the time out, though no one can really confirm that at this time.

A ban on discussion might be a little harsh, but I certainly can't endorse the product or the creator in any way. He really is scum.

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
The firmware that was released on 6/6 is supposed to have removed the time out, though no one can really confirm that at this time.

A ban on discussion might be a little harsh, but I certainly can't endorse the product or the creator in any way. He really is scum.
Hence why I'm not set in stone to make the decision. I know of the 6/6 firmware release and supposed removal of the time bomb thing. I'll give it time to see if he corrected this stupidity.