Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
If you roll back the RTC on the Dreamcast, would this undo it? Like how you can on 3DS with those lame flashcarts with a time-bomb?

What happens exactly once the time bomb "detonates"?

Maverick

May 30, 2019
AGName
Maverick
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2014
If you roll back the RTC on the Dreamcast, would this undo it? Like how you can on 3DS with those lame flashcarts with a time-bomb?

What happens exactly once the time bomb "detonates"?

It soft bricks, updating the firmware will reset the timer and bring it back to life. The timer has since been removed, but no one has independently confirmed it, yet.

Not sure anyone's tried rolling back RTC.

krisk77

Jun 2, 2019
It's happened with dead batteries on consoles that have had the default date and time set to nov 1998. I don't think RTC plays a part in it or how the ODE would know if you changed the time, etc.

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
USB-GDROM run internal menu
this menu simple program, it can read RTC and send to ODE via special comand like GDEMU

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
The easiest way would be to just have a persistent internal counter (on the board itself), really - going up all the time while it's working, up to a certain value. Counting seconds, basically. Simple to implement, hard to tamper with from outside and completely independent of the DC's clock. Though that also means less usage = longer time until it bricks. Does that fit the observed patterns?

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
The easiest way would be to just have a persistent internal counter (on the board itself), really - going up all the time while it's working, up to a certain value. Counting seconds, basically. Simple to implement, hard to tamper with from outside and completely independent of the DC's clock. Though that also means less usage = longer time until it bricks. Does that fit the observed patterns?

That seems like a pretty poor way of implementation considering it would vary widely between people depending on how long or how often they play Dreamcast, and he'd have to do a lot of communication with people unlocking certain players' Dreamcasts.

There's an easier way really. USB-GDROM can read the clock via a special command like megavolt85 said, so if a DC turns on with a clock set to a date before the firmware build date, have it refuse to load until the user sets the clock after the build date. Then every time the system is turned on, record the latest date it was ever powered on, and refuse to load until the clock is set after that date. And finally, once the clock reaches a certain expiration date, lock the drive permanently until a new unlocked firmware is released. This solution wouldn't be perfect and a user who knows what to do could pull the battery and stagger the time clock out, but it would be a tremendous pain in the ass.

I don't know if that's what the USB-GDROM is doing, but it could be doing something similar.

SMiTH

Jun 6, 2019
AGName
SMiTH
AG Join Date
01/01/2013
another way would be to disassemble the firmware for usb gdrom and nop the timebomb. while on topic of gd rom emulators, i still dont understand why no1 has dumped the clone gdemu firmware and created a newer modded and updated firmware that is dummied for the extra space. allegedly the firmware size is larger on the clones. maybe people dont want to modify these firmwares due to it being a niche product that people want to support the creators and discourage firmware modifications and clone hardware? i get both sides of the argument.

Reactions: einsteinx2

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
i still dont understand why no1 has dumped the clone gdemu firmware and created a newer modded and updated firmware that is dummied for the extra space. allegedly the firmware size is larger on the clones. maybe people dont want to modify these firmwares due to it being a niche product that people want to support the creators and discourage firmware modifications and clone hardware? i get both sides of the argument.

For what? The only update that has been released since the clone hardware was created has no new features.

SMiTH

Jun 6, 2019
AGName
SMiTH
AG Join Date
01/01/2013
For what? The only update that has been released since the clone hardware was created has no new features.

To be able to update the clone hardware with any new firmware released in the future that is made for an authentic gdemu.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Looks like we have a new USB-GDROM update!
(Maybe, I don't know when he updated it)

usbgdrom.jpg

....oh wait, no. He simply updated the price of the USB-GDROM, changed "no" to "NO" for "Sub-directories with ANY names implemented?" and under any notes, added "Ugly piece of hardware." Then added in Russian: "Piece of Polish crap. People like it*"

old on left, new on right

*Loose translation of a sarcastic Russian phrase roughly meaning "the unwashed masses/commoners/plebians like it"

I love how he continues to ignore that his menu system is garbage and everyone is stuck with it, while GDEMU allows anyone to make their own interface.

Reactions: Anthony817

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Wish this guy would allow 3rd party menus.

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010

View attachment 3875

....oh wait, no. He simply updated the price of the USB-GDROM, changed "no" to "NO" for "Sub-directories with ANY names implemented?" and under any notes, added "Ugly piece of hardware." Then added in Russian: "Piece of Polish crap. People like it*"

*Loose translation of a sarcastic Russian phrase roughly meaning "the unwashed masses/commoners/plebians like it"

I love how he continues to ignore that his menu system is garbage and everyone is stuck with it, while GDEMU allows anyone to make their own interface.

Also ignoring the bias, launching codebreaker with any disc proves flexible swap ?

Reactions: darcagn

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007

View attachment 3875

His skillset points to him being relatively old, but his demeanor points to him being a teenager.

Is he... Benjamin Button?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wombat and darcagn

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
I am probably in the minority but I have no issue with the menu , who cares all u need is a way to load your games
sure gfx covers are nice but they are just a bonus IMHO

Reactions: cta

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
I am probably in the minority but I have no issue with the menu , who cares all u need is a way to load your games
sure gfx covers are nice but they are just a bonus IMHO

Right now all it is is a graphical menu, but in the future we will likely see a menu replacement that integrates a cheat engine/patching engine for things like widescreen modes, 60hz modes, etc. all loadable off of the SD card
Since USB-GDROM doesn't have a replacement menu capability, the community is always at the mercy of whatever Mnemo feels like

Reactions: Wombat

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
The end of the USB GD-ROM appears in sight. MNEMO just updated his page that what appears to be the drive cable headers he uses are no longer in production so he can only make 85 more of them. Obviously this seems totally bizarre but par the course, and yet another reason the DCIO is truly needed!

Final sales
In my stock left about 85 pcs of these connectors, they are discontinued long time ago and not produced anymore.
That mean- I can make about 85 pcs of USB-GDROM.

PS: The 85 probably lasts him through the EOY if not longer. It's double ironic considering he essentially effed Stone Age Gamer out of paying for about 300 of those connectors in 2015.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
The end of the USB GD-ROM appears in sight. MNEMO just updated his page that what appears to be the drive cable headers he uses are no longer in production so he can only make 85 more of them. Obviously this seems totally bizarre but par the course, and yet another reason the DCIO is truly needed!

PS: The 85 probably lasts him through the EOY if not longer. It's double ironic considering he essentially effed Stone Age Gamer out of paying for about 300 of those connectors in 2015.
He just doesn't care. IIRC people on here or on AG actually found the part online on DigiKey or something. IIRC it was even a molex part.

Edit: Found it, it's a Molex 52602-0579. One can buy them on Mouser.ca with no minimum order quantity for less than CAD 7$/each. There's a lead time of a few months though.

Make a donation