Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Hey guys, just thought I would let my friends here who do own a USB-GDROM ODE that there has been some new developments made about how shady Mnemo really is. This is pretty screwed up for the owners of that device, and I felt it was my duty as a fellow DC community member to let my brothers and sisters here know.

So it seems he intentionally put in some code that will brick the device after some certain time has passed. If you haven't constantly updated the firmware since you got it, he has admitted it will eventually go kaput.

You can read the full thing here.

Last edited:

BetaGuy64

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
BetaGuy64
AG Join Date
July 19th, 2014
Wow, that's shady as hell.

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
WTF?

This is like the time bomb that's in the R4's for Nintendo DS.

I love my USB-GDRom , but this is very underhanded:mad:

I hope he keeps to his word and releases new FW without the time bomb?

Last edited:

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
the maker confirmed that he will remove the offending code.
still this does not excuse him from doing so.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Damn. That’s like a suicide battery for an ODE

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
He wanted to avoid cloning apparently, what happened to gdemu
But realistically cloners don't want to start harvesting old drives to get the sega chip so this was ultimately a deterrent and gdemu got cloned.
I think he also realized that so there is no point for time bombs. Gdemu is cloned, out there, noone will bother with usb gdrom now.

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
For shame! Glad I went with GDEMU over USB-GDROM...

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
He updated the USB-GDRom firmware. Now whether it has the time bomb out of it is unknown?

Nemesis

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Nemesis
AG Join Date
Mar 22, 2007
I wish more people would do things as open-source hardware rather than short term grabs for profit. You'll still have plenty of buyers if you want to assemble and sell them yourself, but there won't be stupidly limited stock and long wait lists, the device will last longer than one random person keeps interest in making them, and prices will be reasonable. There'd also be no need to worry about this kind of badly thought out anti-clone garbage. The gdemu being cloned is the best thing that could have happened for the community.

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
I wish more people would do things as open-source hardware rather than short term grabs for profit. You'll still have plenty of buyers if you want to assemble and sell them yourself, but there won't be stupidly limited stock and long wait lists, the device will last longer than one random person keeps interest in making them, and prices will be reasonable. There'd also be no need to worry about this kind of badly thought out anti-clone garbage. The gdemu being cloned is the best thing that could have happened for the community.

It’s all about money. These kinds of practices will continue unfortunately.

Taiji_mods

Jun 1, 2019
Unfortunately hardware developers don't always make the best business men/ women. Sometimes it's good to work in partnership with someone who understands the business side and the target market. I'm glad he's binned the time bomb firmware idea, hopefully he can regain some confidence from end users as he is the only producer of 3DO USB hosts.

Reactions: rey_1178

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, honestly, I don't have the time/patience to build such a device for myself, and others like myself would happily pay the author to build us one, even if it was open source.

Nemesis

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Nemesis
AG Join Date
Mar 22, 2007
Yeah, honestly, I don't have the time/patience to build such a device for myself, and others like myself would happily pay the author to build us one, even if it was open source.
And people like me will probably never pay full price to have one made up, but I'd happily drop a reasonable sum for a bare board and a couple of the harder to source components in a kit and build it on my own time. That's making money to grab some parts you're already buying at volume, and sticking them in a satchel.

Reactions: Tongara

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
And people like me will probably never pay full price to have one made up, but I'd happily drop a reasonable sum for a bare board and a couple of the harder to source components in a kit and build it on my own time. That's making money to grab some parts you're already buying at volume, and sticking them in a satchel.
Yep, it's a win-win with both sides. It is a shame some hardware devs can't see it. Oh well~

Reactions: einsteinx2

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
Well I upgraded. At least the screen color is better in black and white letters then the black and puke green.

I hope someone can check if the time bomb is still there in this new fw?

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
I get where he's coming from wrt device clones, but still, dick move. Do those who have simply been too lazy to upgrade at least have a chance to do so after the device locks down?

rey_1178

DC FOREVER!
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
rey1178
AG Join Date
March 22,2015
I get where he's coming from wrt device clones, but still, dick move. Do those who have simply been too lazy to upgrade at least have a chance to do so after the device locks down?
I wonder this as well. Because of personal issues I've had all my stuff put away in a closet over 3 years. When I read about this last night it did wire me a bit. What if I now have brick sitting in my dreamcast?

Make a donation