Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
I wonder this as well. Because of personal issues I've had all my stuff put away in a closet over 3 years. When I read about this last night it did wire me a bit. What if I now have brick sitting in my dreamcast?

You won't know until you try. If it does just get a hold of him for replacement.

rey_1178

DC FOREVER!
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
rey1178
AG Join Date
March 22,2015
Also I believe it was mentioned maybe at AG that he didn't do this with the earlier versions of the firmware,pre 2017.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
I wonder this as well. Because of personal issues I've had all my stuff put away in a closet over 3 years. When I read about this last night it did wire me a bit. What if I now have brick sitting in my dreamcast?

I think you're misunderstanding. If you connect up your DC now it probably won't launch images, but it doesn't prevent you from updating the firmware, which was his point. Basically by making all firmware expire he forces people to rely on him for firmware updates, so he could write new firmware that blocks clones which would leave all the clones dead, but he could also blacklist serial numbers of legitimate owners he decides he does not like, etc.

Also I believe it was mentioned maybe at AG that he didn't do this with the earlier versions of the firmware,pre 2017.

The first complaint about it I can find on the internet was in January 2017 on AssemblerGames. Looking at archive.org, the current firmware at the time was December 4, 2016. 1-2 months seems really short for a timeout, so I'm guessing it was implemented in the August 16, 2016 firmware or earlier.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Yet again, he comes across as a sweet guy. /s

I'd never do business with him.

This. Agreed 100%. I have no idea why people still buy his product after all of his shady antics.

For the price of the USB-GDROM alone, you could get a clone GDEMU, a 400GB SD card, and a 3D printed tray for the DC.
If you have a va0 Dreamcast that's incompatible with GDEMU, you can buy a va1 and still be in the same ballpark in pricing.

Yes it sucks you can't just throw files on and pick them from a menu with GDEMU, but after you take a moment to set up the GDEMU SD Card maker you will end up with a way better interface.

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
Until USB-gdrom can handle software based disc switching it will remain the inferior option

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
What about the USB Host for 3DO? Unlike the USB GD-Rom, that's pretty much the only ODE for the 3DO. I have one in my FZ-1, is it going to expire too? I see there is some sort of updated firmware for USB GD-Rom, how about USB Host for 3DO?

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
Shot an email to Nikola asking about the 3DO USB Host, and he replied that only the Dreamcast GD-USB has the expiration timer, the 3DO USB host never had it.

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
I just checked my DC , I have the 15/06/18 firmware and I do not get the timebomb
but tbh the last time I used it must have been when I did this update - my dc is without battery so it defaults to 1998 or something

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
Shot an email to Nikola asking about the 3DO USB Host, and he replied that only the Dreamcast GD-USB has the expiration timer, the 3DO USB host never had it.

I was told he took out the time bomb on this new firmware update, but how can we be sure he did?

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
I was told he took out the time bomb on this new firmware update, but how can we be sure he did?

Dunno, I only have one of his 3DO USB Host products. FWIW, unlike the GD-USB, the 3DO USB Host has never received any firmware updates, they come preflashed with a firmware.

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
Can someone that talks to him ask if he took out the time bomb? This whole issue bothers me. I’m thinking of going gdemu now. Not knowing if my usb gdrom will even work in the future upsets me.

Reactions: Anthony817

Maverick

May 30, 2019
AGName
Maverick
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2014
After missing out on a GDEMU last week, I almost caved and got a USB-GDROM. This news makes my decision a no brainer, I'll just wait for a GDEMU or give up and get a clone if I miss out again.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I have used my GDEMU clone for almost a year now. Will be a year in August, but it has worked great for myself. So if you can't get an official one, a clone is a smart choice if it is your last resort. In fact some new ones were going for $25 on eBay brand new earlier in the week! Just keep searching around.

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
Can someone that talks to him ask if he took out the time bomb? This whole issue bothers me. I’m thinking of going gdemu now. Not knowing if my usb gdrom will even work in the future upsets me.

He says the newest GD-USB update removes the expiration timer:

me:
Hello friend,
I heard today that the GD-USB has an expire timer in the firmware. Does the 3DO USB Host have the same kind of expire timer inside its firmware? If so, please provide an update to disable the timer so it will not expire.

Thanks

Him:
I am really tired to explane:
It's just "request firmware update"
1) firmware update always available at
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

2) in new firmware that was removed, so, forget about it.

3DO Usb not need any update.

I still say I don't know if the timer was removed, because I never had a GD-USB ode to begin with so I can't verify either way. But he's now said to two different people in this topic, through email correspondence, that the expiration timer has been removed.

Reactions: Maverick

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
After missing out on a GDEMU last week, I almost caved and got a USB-GDROM. This news makes my decision a no brainer, I'll just wait for a GDEMU or give up and get a clone if I miss out again.
My early clone is flawless, and for $70 I don't regret at all

rayik24

Jun 3, 2019
AGName
rayik24
AG Join Date
November 8, 2013
I am getting a server not found error when trying to download the newest firmware. Could somebody please post v 2019/06/06 firmware. Thank you

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
WTF?

This is like the time bomb that's in the R4's for Nintendo DS.

I love my USB-GDRom , but this is very underhanded:mad:

I hope he keeps to his word and releases new FW without the time bomb?

Wow, I never heard of the R4 timebomb before...but thats what I love about this community...you learn something new every day...sadly about unpleasent things as well. @[email protected]

Reactions: Plavix

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
Wow, I never heard of the R4 timebomb before...but thats what I love about this community...you learn something new every day...sadly about unpleasent things as well. @[email protected]

Oh yes. R4 time bombs are nasty. There is one solution , but you have to use customs fw to by pass it. This time bomb nonsense is getting worse on all platforms :(

Last edited:

Make a donation