Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I was very surprised PSIO was cloned, to be honest - not for technical reasons, but simply because the original was sufficiently cheap that I couldn't see any financial incentive for people to do so (the fact the clones are the same price as the original is a fairly clear demonstration of that).

Reactions: ds2

rama

Jun 13, 2019
AGName
rama
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2015
Yes, it almost seems like a brag:
"Look, we can clone your protected stuff as well!"

8bitplus

Original poster
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
8bitplus
AG Join Date
I offer an installation service for the PSIO switchboard on my website and facebook page. In the last couple of weeks I've had a few request emails from people asking if I can send them the latest PSIO firmware files.
I pointed out that they can get them from the official page using their serial and order number and they say they lost it, or other BS excuse.
They clearly have clones.

Little good it would do them anyway. The serial of the device and the FW have to match or it will not work.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Greg2600

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
I would do installs - but no one has ever asked....
I would like one for myself - but the store page says they're back-ordered for delivery in August... :/

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
I was very surprised PSIO was cloned, to be honest - not for technical reasons, but simply because the original was sufficiently cheap that I couldn't see any financial incentive for people to do so (the fact the clones are the same price as the original is a fairly clear demonstration of that).

It's pretty expensive to many people, but paying $100 for a clone of a $100 device isn't going to entice buyers all too much.

Low price doesn't matter, though. Remember that cheap $10-20 modchips get cloned.

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
Also the fact that some people would rather get a clone if it means having it in a few weeks rather than a few months.

Reactions: ds2 and MrMario2011

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
True that, Mord.Fustang, which is what I had mentioned in my first post in this thread. This will appeal to impatient people for sure.

Although since my last post I've actually installed, used, and even updated my legitimate PSIO. Fantastic device. The firmware updates are great as well, so I'd be disappointed if I couldn't update mine.

Make a donation