PSIO cloned

8bitplus

Original poster
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
8bitplus
AG Join Date
Sorry if this should have gone in the General Gaming section, or Hacking/Reverse engineering.. Admin can move if they wish. Also I checked there wasn't a thread already, but might have missed it if so..

So it looks like the PSIO has been cloned. A friend sent me the link to one last night on Aliexpress (not posting it here)

I take it these are not being made with licence or permission from the original creators right? so all their hard work is now being profited by others. I guess it was always going to happen if something is popular and they could make money off the back of.
I hope enough people will continue to buy the original.

Reactions: MrMario2011 and cta

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Doesn't the PS1 need to be chipped as well?

8bitplus

Original poster
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
8bitplus
AG Join Date
Yes and No. A small PCB needs installing to redirect some CD signals to the EXP port, but its not the same as a "Chip" to boot CDR's

Actually looks like these clones have been out a while already. Most are the same price as the original so perhaps some are legit..
There's a warning on the PSIO website now warning not to get them from Aliexpress.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Hffc0f3514a8d4acebfcff41f1822ca7cV.jpg
Wouldn't be too happy having this eyesore stick out from behind my console tbh (and yes, that is indeed their promo text...)

Besides, it's currently priced just like the original (or even above, depending on the seller). Why would anyone pick this up?

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
Besides, it's currently priced just like the original (or even above, depending on the seller). Why would anyone pick this up?

The impatient ones will get it. I own a legitimate PSIO which I have yet to install, but I was aware I would be waiting for a while. Here's my timeline:

Paid: December 22, 2018
Pre-ordered: January 24, 2019
Shipped: May 2, 2019

I don't remember the exact date it arrived, but I got it a few weeks after it shipped, so safe to say it took about 6 months to go from money spent to PSIO on my table. Even if you have to order with super slow shipping from China, you'll get a bootleg PSIO much quicker than 6 months. I'm not at all saying that's a good reason to do so, just explaining some potential buyer logic here. Many people have given up on getting a GDEMU legitimately and have settled with the clone due to availability and a lower price.

Now from what I've observed in terms of price (just as you said): it's currently priced just like the original or even higher. Currently what I paid for my legit PSIO was about $101 USD after conversion, the cheapest one bootleg one I've seen is just above $99 and the most expensive one I've seen is around $135. Paying the same price for an ugly knock-off, without official support, but getting it a few months early? That's not at all worth it, in my opinion. However if we revisit this in a few months, or even a year, I'm sure these will be selling for much lower.

I doubt that many people will be on board for paying around $100 for a clone device which is based on a ~$100 product. However, if that clone dropped to around $50? I'm sure there will be a decent of people who will choose to "fondle admirably" over some freshly purchased clone PSIO devices.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
The only reason I'd get a clone instead of the original, is if they magically somehow worked out of the box, without having to mod my system. But I guess that's impossible?

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Some of the clones are being sold with the switch board, though you need that regardless. PSIO may take time to ship, but price wise it's barely more than these clones. Only absolute fools would buy these rip-offs.

krisk77

Jun 2, 2019
Plus, there are assholes selling the fw on Ebay too, since the only way of accessing the original files is with the credentials that were supplied during a legit purchase with Cybdyn.

Hopefully, they'll add some sort of encrypted obfuscated code that will only validate an original board to further deter and slow down the cloners. It be sad to see official PSIO support and future development ruined because of Chinese thieves, as Matt has hinted already that they'll abandon it, if clones become a major issue.

ejack

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
I hope this won't kill their business...
I think the only people who need PSIO would also know the story and choose to buy an official build

Punch

Reeeefugee.
Aug 24, 2019
AGName
Punch
AG Join Date
Aug 21, 2011
Why is everyone lamenting this? You can't seriously expect that a popular one-of-a-kind device won't get cloned by people on the biggest copyright infringement haven on earth. The solution against piracy has always been A: offer quality parts, continued updates and support and B: don't get mad at the pirate sales that will inevitably happen. You either deal with it like the Everdrive guy, or become so mad over the Chinese cloners that you actually lose your audience that actually wants to support you fighting piracy (GDEmu everyone?).

PSIO seems to fall into the A: item automatically already (even visually the clone is pathetic and its the same price so why bother?), they just need to not have a meltdown over this and everything will be fine. Barely anyone will buy that crap.

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
^ I can assure you that many people will get that crap, just like they buy everdrives while knowing they can't update. Many people I have discussed with don't care a device is pirated or that they can't be updates. Shitty behavior but these same people would not buy anything in the first place since all they care is to save their precious dollars and get things cheap no matter the origin.

I agree, if they don't lose their minds over this all will be ok - people that would support them would do that anyways. Lock firmware to serials and go forward.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
PSIO guys seem to be unaffected though obviously annoyed. Can't wait for the stream of idiots posting on various forums that they can't get their PSIO to work....

Reactions: ds2 and keropi

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
The only reason I'd get a clone instead of the original, is if they magically somehow worked out of the box, without having to mod my system. But I guess that's impossible?

From reading up on what is officially available - because of the very way in which it replaces the ODD you have to get the signals from where the ODD would be connected to the system re-directed into the PSIO... It seems that unless a solderless option is developed that just plugs straight into the ODD port on the motherboard - that installing the mod board and cutting traces is the way to go.

If you are not happy to install the switch board into your system I am sure there will be some people around here that would be able to do it for you without breaking the bank...

Clone hardware of any kind can only be bad for business as far as selling original hardware goes... I buy my EverDrives direct from Krizz to ensure I get a legit and supported product....
I just guess some people really don't care andyet don't understand that without the likes of Krizz developing original hardware there would be nothing for these chinese hacks\clones to be copying from....

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
I'm sure many people won't care if their device that is designed to pirate games, is pirated.

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
I'm sure many people won't care if their device that is designed to pirate games, is pirated.
I suppose thats how we have ended up with clones of clones of clones for mod chips....

karsten

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
karsten
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2014
If i was to get a PSIO like device i would get it from the legit guys, but they lost me when they backtracked on their promise of a 100% solderless solution.

From reading up on what is officially available - because of the very way in which it replaces the ODD you have to get the signals from where the ODD would be connected to the system re-directed into the PSIO... It seems that unless a solderless option is developed that just plugs straight into the ODD port on the motherboard - that installing the mod board and cutting traces is the way to go.

If you are not happy to install the switch board into your system I am sure there will be some people around here that would be able to do it for you without breaking the bank...

Clone hardware of any kind can only be bad for business as far as selling original hardware goes... I buy my EverDrives direct from Krizz to ensure I get a legit and supported product....
I just guess some people really don't care andyet don't understand that without the likes of Krizz developing original hardware there would be nothing for these chinese hacks\clones to be copying from....

Concerning Krizz his prices are way over the top and never came down to reasonable amounts even for the most basic carts... i considered many times getting a chinese clone since 99.9% of games would run on it anyway. Also i didn't like how he "USED" AG forum as an advertising place and no more than that.

Reactions: ds2

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
If i was to get a PSIO like device i would get it from the legit guys, but they lost me when they backtracked on their promise of a 100% solderless solution.

Concerning Krizz his prices are way over the top and never came down to reasonable amounts even for the most basic carts... i considered many times getting a chinese clone since 99.9% of games would run on it anyway. Also i didn't like how he "USED" AG forum as an advertising place and no more than that.

I wasn't happy they needed to solder, but they had no choice. While you're still waiting for a competing option (sans solder), I've been enjoying mine for several years now.

Krikzz developed a multi-tiered product line, so he IS selling several choices which are pretty cheap. Are they the Mercedes/Cadillac option, no, but they do the job quite cheaply. Yet you're welcome to buy a knock-off I guess, because why support the guy who put in the R&D work??

karsten

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
karsten
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2014
I wasn't happy they needed to solder, but they had no choice. While you're still waiting for a competing option (sans solder), I've been enjoying mine for several years now.

Krikzz developed a multi-tiered product line, so he IS selling several choices which are pretty cheap. Are they the Mercedes/Cadillac option, no, but they do the job quite cheaply. Yet you're welcome to buy a knock-off I guess, because why support the guy who put in the R&D work??
I did not need a PSIO i wanted one to support the guys as long as it was solderless. I have my ps1/one that have working order lasers. And yes i'll wait for a solution that do not require soldering or manipulating real hardware.

Krikzz developed multi-tier what? And cheap?! Guess out pocket are not the same; he basically have bentley, rolls royce and ferrari. No BMW, or volkswagen. Also i have no problem supporting creators of original hardware, as i did years ago with the first flashcards from tototek. Back then they were costy but not ridicoulously so as krizz stuff expecially considering how far we went in tech, how much more knowledge we got, and how much bigger hardware runs they run now.

Reactions: ds2

krisk77

Jun 2, 2019
Well the clones will be locked out now because the serial and credentials that were used when ordering a legit purchase are now baked into the new firmware. Even with 2 original boards, one firmware is not transferable, as the user will get a mismatch error.

This will stop morons trying to sell firmware like before and the chinese will never have the source code, so it's not likely they will be able to reverse engineer the firmware.

Make a donation