Unreleased console from the big THREE

We're urgently fundraising for an unreleased games console from the big three game companies.

There is less than 5 of these known to exist, and we have the chance to secure one and document it on our new channel.

All data/software found on the system will be shared with researchers, but donators will get first access. High res 4k video will be done on the device and it's internals for future reference.

This fundraiser is time sensitive.
Goal
£2,000.00
Received
£2,071.00
Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PSP debug access by keyboard?

Kuriatsu

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
hihi,

I recently got some PSP prototype UMDs and 2 of them seem very similar(if not the same as retail) and I figure that they are finals.
However, I was curious...The seller said one of them had debug but it was only accessible on a psp dev unit.
True to his word, its not available on a PSP emulator or PSP standard unit.

I was wondering if there was a way around that restriction potentially.
I was thinking, maybe there are keyboard shortcuts that are set up, that don't work on emulators?
Does the PSP work that way? are there commands that are on a PSP dev unit that are only on a psp dev unit?

I apologize for my ignorance.

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
There are hardware-based dip switches on the units themselves that are only accessible and do nothing (functionality API-wise) on retail units. These are available on both the Testing and Development Tools. There's no API call that allows devs to differentiate whether somethings running on a Tool or Retail unit, maybe the additional memory and/or dip switch detection. :D

There's also no USB or keyboard functionality as far as I know, but depends on the game itself, *some* games may be developed in a PS2-like environment and then ported over to PSP in later stages (ATV Off-Road Fury, Resistance Retribution) which may provide a different debugging setup. :p

Reactions: Kuriatsu

Kuriatsu

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
Oh, I see...That makes things a little harder....I'd prefer not to have to get a dev unit itself just to test these things...:( (though I do want one, they're just too expensive at the moment)
Thank you.
I figured I'd ask because any attempt to run the games from an iso either on the PSP or otherwise cause crashes when changing the areas for at least 2 of these 3 builds, which is near unheard of itself.
So I suppose it is possible that that they have unique triggers that are hardware dependant...:(

WorldGenesis

Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Oh, I see...That makes things a little harder....I'd prefer not to have to get a dev unit itself just to test these things...:( (though I do want one, they're just too expensive at the moment)
Thank you.
I figured I'd ask because any attempt to run the games from an iso either on the PSP or otherwise cause crashes when changing the areas for at least 2 of these 3 builds, which is near unheard of itself.
So I suppose it is possible that that they have unique triggers that are hardware dependant...:(

Testing Units are *fairly* cheap on eBay (though depending on the seller they might sell a Test Unit as a 'development tool')

It *is* possible to fake the dip switches in custom firmware on the retail units theoretically, since the games read a specific call that can be overwritten via a plugin. This might be something I could look into easily :p

Untold Legends has a neat debug info feature when the first switch is toggled so could use that a starting point XD

Kuriatsu

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
Can you please check into that? I would appreciate it. I will too of course.
Whats the physical difference between a testing unit and a development tool?

Last edited:

WorldGenesis

Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Can you please check into that? I would appreciate it. I will of course too.
Whats the physical difference between a testing unit and a development tool?

No problem, am actually working on that now :p

The Testing Units are basically giant PSP towers, there's very little debugging functionality, it does provide DVD-R reading, dip switch (GPI) and general-purpose output LEDs (GPO) and memory crash debugging.

The Development Units have an on-board hardware module that can communicate with the PC over an ethernet connection (DECI2). This allows development environments to run executables quickly without writing a DVD to test things out :p

Kuriatsu

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
I would likely want to go for a testing unit if we can't find a plugin...
Thank you so much for your help :)
edit: though if a development unit came along for a great price I'd easily go for that.

Last edited:

Unreleased console from the big THREE

We're urgently fundraising for an unreleased games console from the big three game companies.

There is less than 5 of these known to exist, and we have the chance to secure one and document it on our new channel.

All data/software found on the system will be shared with researchers, but donators will get first access. High res 4k video will be done on the device and it's internals for future reference.

This fundraiser is time sensitive.
Goal
£2,000.00
Received
£2,071.00