Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PSP devkit?

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
hello,

I am aware of some things in regards to a PSP devkit.
I know that there are 2 types, the psp test kit and the psp dev kit.
One has ethernet, the other doesn't. The ethernet allows for direct connection to the psp development software on the PC, similar to the PS3 test units.
I've found a manual through investigations and stuff, and I've found a couple prospects of getting a dtp-1000A as a possibility, so I wanted to do some investigations. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I should know particularly about them? like "don't do X"or "do X upon receiving" or something like that?
Is there a general users guide that goes beyond the standard manual?
I ask because while I have 2 dev kits of a ps3 and one for a wii, I do not really have any experience working with tower type units for consoles/handhelds.

also, what are the dip switches for? the manual says that they are for graphics adjustment or something, but it doesn't go in-depth.

Last edited:

fate6

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
fate6
AG Join Date
May 15, 2013
The switches are whatever you want them to be, they are programmable so you could have them do things in your game to help with debugging.

As for using the kit just think of it as a big wired PSP really, the tower itself wont really come into play as anything beside where discs/memory stick go as everything is either done on the PSP side or from a remote PC.

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
The switches are whatever you want them to be, they are programmable so you could have them do things in your game to help with debugging.

As for using the kit just think of it as a big wired PSP really, the tower itself wont really come into play as anything beside where discs/memory stick go as everything is either done on the PSP side or from a remote PC.

Are those configurations stored on a memory stick or in the psp dev units flash 0 or something?

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
If you're talking about the dip switch functions I think they get saved to your project...For example when I pop in Parappa the Rappa into the Test unit the DIP lights seem to be programmed to light up with the music. Other games would have their own functions, if they were programmed into them.

As fate says, at least the Test kit is very simple to use. It's all done on the PSP handheld and it functions more or less like a standard PSP with some more options in the menus.

If you get a Testing tool the most recent firmware is out there, it's a good idea to update it if you plan to play games on it.

Reactions: Kuriatsu

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
If you're talking about the dip switch functions I think they get saved to your project...For example when I pop in Parappa the Rappa into the Test unit the DIP lights seem to be programmed to light up with the music. Other games would have their own functions, if they were programmed into them.

As fate says, at least the Test kit is very simple to use. It's all done on the PSP handheld and it functions more or less like a standard PSP with some more options in the menus.

If you get a Testing tool the most recent firmware is out there, it's a good idea to update it if you plan to play games on it.

One of the prospective sellers of a DTP-1000A offered to send all the test tool firmware that they could as well as the SDK versions to me. I definitely plan on getting those if possible.

edit: I have an ape escape saru saru big mission without debug, but its pretty early on. Most of the stages are incomplete, some enemies don't even have a model but they're programmed in. water is non-textured as well.
Do you think its possible that preprogrammed instructions as a result of the dip switches could trigger debug?

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
One of the prospective sellers of a DTP-1000A offered to send all the test tool firmware that they could as well as the SDK versions to me. I definitely plan on getting those if possible.

edit: I have an ape escape saru saru big mission without debug, but its pretty early on. Most of the stages are incomplete, some enemies don't even have a model but they're programmed in. water is non-textured as well.
Do you think its possible that preprogrammed instructions as a result of the dip switches could trigger debug?

Possible, sure, if they happened to program the dip switches like that.

I think a lot of the Test Tool firmwares are out there, but handy to have for sure. Really once you've updated to 6.60 or whatever it is you're pretty much just gonna stay there. The SDK I'm not too sure about..

DTP-1000A (DTP-T1000 is how I know them) is the development tool though, you can't install Test Tool firmwares on it. Test and Development units use separate firmwares. I haven't been keeping up with the Devs as I own a Test.

Last edited:

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
Possible, sure, if they happened to program the dip switches like that.

I think a lot of the Test Tool firmwares are out there, but handy to have for sure. Really once you've updated to 6.60 or whatever it is you're pretty much just gonna stay there. The SDK I'm not too sure about..

I guess I'll have to find out...I hope so...I have my doubts that it'd work the way I hope it will...

Thank you for the information.

edit: do you happen to know what the PSP development foot switch is?

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I guess I'll have to find out...I hope so...I have my doubts that it'd work the way I hope it will...

Thank you for the information.

edit: do you happen to know what the PSP development foot switch is?

It's a foot pedal, I believe it's usually used for getting a crash report/instant log. Useful for debugging, you can easily get a log at any time while playing.

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
It's a foot pedal, I believe it's usually used for getting a crash report/instant log. Useful for debugging, you can easily get a log at any time while playing.

Sorry, little off topic. What are the real differences between a psp dev and test unit?

By real, I mean, the manuals indicate connection with a psp development unit via ethernet. But I read somewhere that you can still connect(but VERY slowly) with the serial connection in the extension port.
Will it still be able to connect to the SDK as a test unit if I take off the plate blocking access for instance?
Are there any other actual differences other than the lack of an ethernet?

Last edited:

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
There are definitely some differences, like I said before, they don't even run on the same firmware.
Unless they were designed to connect to the SDK (I don't know this) I doubt it.
I don't know the specific differences, but there are some definite major ones. Pretty much all of it to do with the SDK/development side of things. If you're just playing games on it the differences aren't so apparent. I'm sure someone around here who has experience with both will have some better info.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
btw , any one know about dip switch from logic board on board info ??

fate6

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
fate6
AG Join Date
May 15, 2013
There is a disc you can boot from on a Test unit that will enable communication to the PC side SDK via the USB port on the PSP controller, this cuts the RAM in half and is just slow all around.

On a Dev unit you just plug in a ethernet cable and have it and the PC with the SDK on the same network and away you go, can even load games from the PC itself and use a dualshock 3 tho i never got it working.

Test kits are just not made with dev work in mind, they are for testing your project with a more retail like environment.

Vervexx

Registered
Jun 16, 2019
Sure would be nice to find one of those. I'll keep my eye open and keep you updated If I find anything.

psycho

Aug 9, 2019
www.handheldmuseum.com
AGName
Psycho
AG Join Date
Oct 24, 2005
There was a whole tear down thread for the Test Tool and the Dev Tool on Assembler:

Also note there is a third piece of hardware- the DTP-L1500. This plays UMD movies only, so it's pretty worthless to anyone interested in gaming...

Looks like the picture links don't show up, but here are photos of the motherboard of the Test vs the Dev, there's a HUGE difference in the hardware:
DTP-H1500:
DTP-T1500: (Dev Tool)

The circles I drew on the H1500 board correspond to this post: (Actually, I think that photo is an L1500, but the board is identical between them)

I've posted an image with a few areas of the MB I found interesting:
Circles 1 & 2 are three switches mounted to the board. These three switches are labelled 'Normal <> Flash Write' and are all in the 'Normal' position on my board (and Parris' from what I can in the pics).

Circle 3 is the set of 4 DIP switches Parris mentions above. These are labelled as follows:
1: SYSCONPWR On= HI, *Off= Normal
2: CP_ForceOn On= Enable, *Off= Disable
3: P23
4: P24

(*= Default) Switches 3 and 4 don't sound like they do anything, not sure. Setting 1 and 2 ON seems to affect how the system shuts down. The fan stays on all the time, and you can't completely shut it off. Not sure what the purpose of that is...

Circle 4 on the image is part number for the main board. Mine says:
TMU-002
1-866-574-11

Parris, is your motherboard the same number? I'm curious if these are physically different in any way, that would probably tell us...

There's another bank of DIP switches just to the left (and down a tad) of Circle 3 that isn't populated on our boards (maybe this is for the DevKit system). They are labelled:
1: /CP_COMM_PWRSW_EN On= Lo, Off= Hi
2: /PWRBUTEMU On= Lo, Off= Hi
(3 and 4 aren't indicated)

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
here is my L1500 :)

Attachments

• 2104_IMG_4900a.jpg
    2104_IMG_4900a.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2105_IMG_4910a.jpg
    2105_IMG_4910a.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: SONIC3D

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
I have a DTP-T1000 model, I have been looking to use it for more than just a display item, do you know where u could get the English manual for it and all the SDK programs?

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
FYI those normal/flashwrite switches if changed will prevent it from booting, they’re probably for some type of service mode

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
from what the manual says, the switches are GPI (General Purpose Input) and the lights are GPO (General Purpose Output) I dont think it has anything to do with a service mode.

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
FYI those normal/flashwrite switches if changed will prevent it from booting, they’re probably for some type of service mode

It might just be used for SYSCON firmware stuff :p I tried to do different combinations with the F1 / F2 switches along with the DIPSWs

I did some random stuff on my Testing Tool in the Assembler Archive below:

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
if you are referring to the switches on the motherboard that may be correct, I was referring to the dip switches on the front of the system.

Make a donation