Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Guys,

A friend of mine has a test unit to give to me (or he will sell it on ebay).
I would like to know the differences in terms of features between DTP-H1500 test kit and DTP-T1000 dev kit. No point for me to take it if it´s basically the same thing with less features than a devkit (as i want a devkit in the future).

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
they a different , DTP-T1000 have CP ,lan port , DTP-H1500 only like test kit no lan port.
get all is better ;)

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Hi Ricky,

What is CP ?

What can i do with a test unit that i can not do with a devkit ?

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Hi Ricky,

What is CP ?

What can i do with a test unit that i can not do with a devkit ?

It's the "Communication Processor", its used for remote debugging, and managing the system through a web portal or PC utilities :p

Since Test Units don't have that, you won't be able to run a programs over the network and only have the ability to do it through DVDs, EBOOTs (homebrew?) or UMD games.

It's basically a giant PSP with the ability to do video out and minimal debugging capabilities like crash dumps :p

They both have General Purpose Output LEDs and General Input switches :D

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
It's the "Communication Processor", its used for remote debugging, and managing the system through a web portal or PC utilities :p

Since Test Units don't have that, you won't be able to run a programs over the network and only have the ability to do it through DVDs, EBOOTs (homebrew?) or UMD games.

It's basically a giant PSP with the ability to do video out and minimal debugging capabilities like crash dumps :p

They both have General Purpose Output LEDs and General Input switches :D

Thank you for your answers. So why should i get a test kit if the dev kit can do much more ? I mean i dont have much space and im trying to only take what is useful (what does the most).

WorldGenesis

Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Thank you for your answers. So why should i get a test kit if the dev kit can do much more ? I mean i dont have much space and im trying to only take what is useful (what does the most).

A devkit does a whole lot more than a test kit, they take up the same size (basically the same case/controller overall). :p

If you don't intend on using the devkit features then probably stick with a test kit. :p

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
A devkit does a whole lot more than a test kit, they take up the same size (basically the same case/controller overall). :p

If you don't intend on using the devkit features then probably stick with a test kit. :p

It´s what i think I should stick with the devkit except if there is a specific feature for the test kit that the devkit has not and which might be interesting to use.

WorldGenesis

Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
It´s what i think I should stick with the devkit except if there is a specific feature for the test kit that the devkit has not and which might be interesting to use.

I believe one of the features is the F1 / F2 switches on the front of both kits are different.

On the Testkit its used to change between battery emulation states, so you could test a game to see how it'll handle the battery being low or being on the AC adapter, while the Devkits, I believe need to have a separate PC utility :p

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Ok cool.

I think i will anyway take this test kit to play my PSP game on my TV and do some funny stuff. The output of the test kit is VGA 640x480 60HZ i think.
What is the best option to get VGA + audio to hdmi ? One of the RetroRGB advices for a lag free converter is https://www.amazon.com/shop/retrorgb?listId=IP72N6BL06SV&tag=retrorgb-20 ?
I want the best lag free and quality possible. Any other product ? Perhaps OSSC but it is quite expensive and im not sure this is the best i can use.
What about a cable vga to hdmi ? Is it better than a converter ? i guess its worse but better ask the question here.

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
Its worth noting that PSPGo and 3000 (all I have) component output looks leagues better than the VGA of the TOOL or TEST.

Reactions: MobCat

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
Ok cool.

I think i will anyway take this test kit to play my PSP game on my TV and do some funny stuff. The output of the test kit is VGA 640x480 60HZ i think.
What is the best option to get VGA + audio to hdmi ? One of the RetroRGB advices for a lag free converter is https://www.amazon.com/shop/retrorgb?listId=IP72N6BL06SV&tag=retrorgb-20 ?
I want the best lag free and quality possible. Any other product ? Perhaps OSSC but it is quite expensive and im not sure this is the best i can use.
What about a cable vga to hdmi ? Is it better than a converter ? i guess its worse but better ask the question here.
if you looking play on TV fun ,it may sad because it not full screen display , xD
OSSC is expensive? no~ , xrgb stuff is more expensive ;)

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Its worth noting that PSPGo and 3000 (all I have) component output looks leagues better than the VGA of the TOOL or TEST.

Ah really ? Shit... I thought the quality was the same. I will try anyway.

Any advice for a better display ?

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
if you looking play on TV fun ,it may sad because it not full screen display , xD
OSSC is expensive? no~ , xrgb stuff is more expensive ;)

I will check if i buy an OSSC or a cheaper option

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
No, the quality just isn't great. OSSC won't fix the small window problem either btw

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
No, the quality just isn't great. OSSC won't fix the small window problem either btw

How can i upscale and strech the pic so ? Framemeister ? I know that some allow to strech the picture.

What do you use for PSPGo and 3000 output on TV ?

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
PSP Go and 3000 (and 2000) have Component cables you can pick up for them.

Framemeister should let you crop, but I dont own one.

For my PSP Tool (which I still use despite mediocre video), I use an Extron scaler. This is as good as I can get the video to look:

This is a comparison of the PSP Tool vs PSP Go:

I think both of these were taken at 480p. As you can see, the gradients look awful on the PSP Tool.

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
PSP Go and 3000 (and 2000) have Component cables you can pick up for them.

Framemeister should let you crop, but I dont own one.

For my PSP Tool (which I still use despite mediocre video), I use an Extron scaler. This is as good as I can get the video to look:

This is a comparison of the PSP Tool vs PSP Go:

I think both of these were taken at 480p. As you can see, the gradients look awful on the PSP Tool.

Really interesting. I think this is actually really weird. How can people test stuff on a screen if it looks awful. I mean yes they see the results on the controller screen but still, when you test you like to see details (which is probably why they allowVGA output). Do you know someone getting better results ?

Last edited:

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
It's not really meant to be a solid reference as to what it would look like on console. I've used both my Test and Tool, results are the same.

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
It's not really meant to be a solid reference as to what it would look like on console. I've used both my Test and Tool, results are the same.

Ok thanks for the info. I will look into this issue to see if there is anyway to make it look a bit better

the7thchild

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
the7thchild
AG Join Date
2011-2-7
If I remember correctly.

TOOL is for development but it has significant hardware difference with retail and is not being trusted for release testing.
That means if your program can run on tool reliably doesn't mean your program is going to work perfectly on retail too.

To resolve this issue and save cost, a more retail like system-TEST was made. You will need a lot of TEST more than TOOL within a studio for your QA testing team. These game testers will play the game on the TEST environment days and nights to make sure the program is ok. TEST has minimal development function and can boot master UMD (burnt to a DVD-R) and can resemble retail machines better than TOOL.

If everything is okay, the burnt DVD-R will be submitted to Sony for final check and UMD manufacturing.

Make a donation