Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
If I remember correctly.

TOOL is for development but it has significant hardware difference with retail and is not being trusted for release testing.
That means if your program can run on tool reliably doesn't mean your program is going to work perfectly on retail too.

To resolve this issue and save cost, a more retail like system-TEST was made. You will need a lot of TEST more than TOOL within a studio for your QA testing team. These game testers will play the game on the TEST environment days and nights to make sure the program is ok. TEST has minimal development function and can boot master UMD (burnt to a DVD-R) and can resemble retail machines better than TOOL.

If everything is okay, the burnt DVD-R will be submitted to Sony for final check and UMD manufacturing.

Thank you for these details. Now i know if i should have a test kit as well which i believe is the case.

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
PSP Go and 3000 (and 2000) have Component cables you can pick up for them.

Framemeister should let you crop, but I dont own one.

For my PSP Tool (which I still use despite mediocre video), I use an Extron scaler. This is as good as I can get the video to look:

This is a comparison of the PSP Tool vs PSP Go:

I think both of these were taken at 480p. As you can see, the gradients look awful on the PSP Tool.

Are you sure of your capture equipment? Both offer similar quality to my VGA CRT monitor (I have the PSP Go go through GBS-C which allows passthough component to VGA). The TEST/TOOL can't switch to interlace though they are progressive only, and obviously no psone game support out of the box. This makes the PSP Go the more versatile option regardless. The only perk on the tool is that you can have both outputs on the controller and vga at the same time.

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Are you sure of your capture equipment? Both offer similar quality to my VGA CRT monitor (I have the PSP Go go through GBS-C which allows passthough component to VGA). The TEST/TOOL can't switch to interlace though they are progressive only, and obviously no psone game support out of the box. This makes the PSP Go the more versatile option regardless. The only perk on the tool is that you can have both outputs on the controller and vga at the same time.

So same quality (I was effectively kind of surprised to hear that Borman got such differences between a test equipment and the retail one).

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
I responded to Mathieulh on Twitter, but the short end of it is Ive tried multiple devices, capture cards, converters, displays, you name it, the result is always the same. It's not like it's this bad on everything, but gray colors like the one you can see here makes it incredibly obvious.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Finally tried out the VGA, figure I'd finally see for myself what the quality was like, on my TV. It is a small window, pictures shown I tried to show that. If your TV sucks less then mine I'm sure you could zoom in, but I seem to just have the choice of 16:9 or 4:3 for some reason..
I don't see grey banding quite so bad, just the general lack of color depth, which is seen on the PSP screen as well. It is not exactly a clear picture(mine, or the image the Test produces, lol). It's noticeably soft, yet still clear aliasing on the 3D objects somehow. I wouldn't call it great, but it's still a cool novelty. In fact, I'm gonna keep playing now that I've taken the trouble to hook it up.

IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG
IMG_6548.JPG

On a side note I like how when you turn the PSP controller off but leave the unit on the image just freezes instead of going black

Last edited:
Reactions: haliway

Make a donation