Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Public Service Announcement for Sellers of Game Demos: Insane Buyer

ninten342

Jul 27, 2020
Bumping this. I just found this thread through a google search. Just registered to post my thoughts. This is a close friend of mine. I can confirm he is on the spectrum. I also happen to be on it myself. I've known him since college. Part of bring spectrum is having fixations. For him it's electronics,gaming consoles,and computer systems. Yes his social skills are severely impaired. That said he can be charming. I'm not aware of any schizophrenia nor do any impressions of it from him. The previous post about diminished mental capability is more accurate. I have not seen him in person in five years. I do message him from time to time. He does talk to me about his computer and gaming systems. Posting this made me a little uncomfortable, but I hope this will lead to more understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2600 and Nully

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Posting this made me a little uncomfortable, but I hope this will lead to more understanding.

You shouldn't be, and thank you for that information. As I said, after reading the messages, I immediately thought of it because it's something I've seen from people I know. The others in this thread, who I'm sure have experience with people on the spectrum in the past or present, likely have not "online." For people who struggle socially, the same is not always the case online. Without the need to speak and instead write, they're able to better communicate. That being said, as I theorized, this guy just does not perceive what he writes as being something bad or confrontational or out of the ordinary.

Reactions: ninten342

layzee

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
layzee
AG Join Date
Aug 28, 2006
Occam's Razor states that the most likely explanation is often the correct one so I guess we can retire most of the theories brought up so far (former Sony employee etc). Well, it is what it is.

Mygames19

Mar 16, 2021
Hello members of the Obscure Gamers forums,
First off, I want to apologize for bumping this thread. Being a new user, I know this is particularly poor form, but I have good reason.
I'm an eBay seller who has been at it for a few years now and mostly sells video games / occasionally tech. Unfortunately I am sad to say that I had my first (and hopefully last) run in with Nicholas AKA PlanetNick72 AKA whatever alias he's currently using.
I'm doing what I can to get eBay involved in doing something more drastic about this person, but in the mean time I want to make it fully aware to anyone who comes across this thread like I did via Googling his "business", that it is very likely Nicholas is knowingly a serial scam artist / Defrauder.
Let me tell you my story and explain why I believe this.

I sold him the second of my 3 copies of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare for PS1 I had for sale. The third copies' manual was in slightly worse shape, so after he purchased the game, I changed the description to reflect that for the last copy that was still available for purchase. (This comes in later).
2 Days later, the first message comes in. It's cordial enough - the tracking hadn't yet updated to show I had dropped off the package at the post office, and he was checking in to make sure I had actually put the game out to post. I get messages like this from time to time.

Messages01.png

The next day, he sends me a message about how he wanted the game packaged. Unfortunately it was too late for changes like that, but thankfully he seemed content with the way in which I packed it anyways, so I thought things would be okay. I mean... I thought his complaints were super nit-picky, but I like to make customers happy and be a good steward.

Messages02.pngMessages03.png

Then for some reason, he sends me an extra message going in detail about his company, PlanetNick72. I was curious about his company and what he sells (myself as a small business, I like supporting other small business... and hey, he seems a bit odd but maybe it's a language barrier or something) so I decided I should look him up and.... oh. Yeah, so I stumbled across this site and saw the reports about his behavior. Then I checked his feedback he left, aaaand....

FeedbackLeftForOthers.png

Yeaaahhhh... At this point, I was kinda shaking in my boots and was really not looking forward to what could happen next. The good news is, the game showed up super fast. And the bad news is... the game was actually in better condition then I listed it as and therefore I'm dishonest? ....Huh?

Messages05.pngMessages06.png

I try to reason out what the problem was. As bizarre as it is to suggest that my description be perfect to his understandings, I still wouldn't have minded if he actually intended to send the game back. (I mean, it's supposedly in like new condition, right?) However, he checks my current active listing about the game, sees I added that the manual had a curl, and uses this to basically go on a huge rant spanning 4 messages he sends throughout the next 12 hours or so about some of the things that have been reported in this thread - the illegality of selling used games, how the companies still own all distribution rights, something about suing over the ordeal and going to court... He even takes pictures of the game as it was received, proving that it was potentially in better condition then I described...?

Messages08.png

At this point, I don't even know what to do. His arguments are barely coherent to me, and read very similarly to accounts others have described. (Almost as if he's using a sort of "script" and tailoring his story to each item he tries to scam). I've tried reasoning out every way I can, but eventually I just told him straight out that I'm only refunding if he returns the product and that it doesn't seem fair that he gets to keep it just because of a very small difference of opinion on the condition (that's actually in his favor, no less).

So... the rest of this is gonna unfortunately be hear-say, as I didn't record my calls with eBay.
I called them to report that the buyer at this point was harassing me with messages, and that it seemed ridiculous that he would want to return an item because it was in better condition then I listed it for. The rep on the other side was very understanding and told me that in the few years he's been working for the eBay call centers, it was the first he'd ever heard of that kind of report. I then explained to him what I learned here: That he's done this many times before in the past using his old alias, that he says he's "against third party selling" but then participates in it himself.... I think I overwhelmed the guy, to be honest. Might have been best to leave it at just saying he should be investigated. Then, the rep drops a bombshell while looking into the issue:

"This guy has over 100 accounts".

So... I don't really know what the context of those accounts is, but... let's say you wanted to run a business conning people out of goods on eBay. How would you do that...? Make a bunch of accounts, and cycle through them when the account is closed or frozen due to suspicious activity... ? Seems like a good chance. I mean, connecting all those accounts would not be a good idea as it makes it very obvious that something is fishy, but it is why I believe this person is knowingly trying to get away with fraud. Again, this isn't proof necessarily, but it's certainly a big red flag in my opinion, and you would think that eBay would have seen this and recorded the unusual behavior by now...

Anyways, the rep was kind enough to close the return for me, which seemed all well and good until...

ReturnReopened.pngMessages09.png

Apparently, Nicholas called eBay after I did and had them re-open the return case!
Or... at least he sure seems to think they did. I'm not really sure either... but I can't find it on my returns page. I called eBay back about it, and they said that the issue has been resolved and not to worry about it, so...

hopefully, the story ends here for me. I'm normally not the kind of guy to make posts like this. Even with some of the most difficult customers, as hard as it has hurt for them to personally insult me, I believe these are private matters and I try to move on.
However, with the possibility being that Nicholas has been potentially defrauding people for years and may continue to do so, I can't help but want to protect other sellers and make it known that this person is to be avoided and reported whenever possible.
I know that it is difficult, as it's clear he goes by many aliases. However, if you're able to pay attention to your buyers names and you get a purchase from a Nicholas H. from Escondido, CA - look at the feedback they left for others. I suggest that unless you're ready to work through the likely drama storm, it'd be best to just outright cancel and accept the negative feedback, then try to fight eBay on getting it removed after all the circus is over. Especially if you're dealing with one-of-a-kind items, like some of the users of these boards might be.

Thank you for allowing me to share my story here. Hopefully this post is okay per the forum rules (Maybe it gets close to the drama category? Sorry about that). I found evidence that he's been at this since at least 2018 in different ways which I can share if people are interested, though I know this board is supposed to be about preservation / prototypes / obscure / unreleased games, so I don't know if this is the appropriate place to continue that conversation.

Last edited:

layzee

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
layzee
AG Join Date
Aug 28, 2006
Hello members of the Obscure Gamers forums,
First off, I want to apologize for bumping this thread. Being a new user, I know this is particularly poor form, but I have good reason.

Hello, I'm OP and thanks for sharing your experiences with the eBay buyer in question. I don't think there is any need to apologise as your words here are very relevant to this thread.

I am pleased in the knowledge that my posting of this thread back in 2019 has been further justified. Reading through your post, I had a wry smile. It is a laughable, but all too familiar situation. (Not) nice to see that even though the virus has changed the world, it hasn't changed ol' Nick here.

To begin with, some early red flags:

1) Red Flag 1: To paraphrase his request, "I inform you kindly that... YOU MUST SHIP THE ITEM TODAY!" - to me that's a contradiction. The first half appears to be the prelude of a friendly request. The second half is a straight up demand with no expectations of non-compliance on your part. There is no sense of reasonability on his part towards you. What if you can't ship the item today?

2) Red Flag 2: Overuse of exclamation marks is a sign of a not completely sound mind.

3) Red Flag 3: He sends very specific packaging style requests a few days after payment. This type of request should be done right after payment or ideally, before the item is purchased.

4) Red Flag 4: He hasn't even received the item yet and he has already made vague threats of opening up returns or reporting your listings. It's almost as if he was already planning on doing exactly what he said. These weren't threats. These were statements of intent.

5) Red Flag 5: Just his general style of writing and his general attitude.

6) Red Flag 6: Wall of texts.

6) Red Flag 7: Literally red. The majority of feedback he has given to other sellers are red and negative. If a buyer leaves a seller negative feedback, then the seller is probably not too good. If he leaves 10 sellers negative feedback, then it's probably the buyer that's not too good.

7) Red Flag 8: His positive feedback as a buyer is just as bad. Obviously sellers can't leave red feedback for buyers but that doesn't mean the messages aren't useful.

I understand that hindsight is everything and maybe you didn't have the time to check for these red flags or you wanted to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt, but I would have refused the sale right here. I'd rather eat a negative feedback than be forced to a return or a refund (and the headaches it entails and the time spent solving this issue), and then eventually get that negative feedback anyway.

With that out of the way, where do we go from here, and what actions can we take?

I try to reason out what the problem was
The fact of the matter is that there's no point trying to reason with what has been proven to be an unreasonable buyer. Answer me this, what sort of buyer complains that the item they got is in better condition than they expected? Assuming I understood his text walls correctly. This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I think he's trying to use the "item not as described" loophole without good faith. If you sold a mint condition game and described it as very bad condition, technically, that would be item not as described. But everyone understands what "item not as described" is supposed to be used for (e.g. bad condition items sold as good).

However, he checks my current active listing about the game, sees I added that the manual had a curl, and uses this to basically go on a huge rant spanning 4 messages he sends throughout the next 12 hours or so about some of the things that have been reported in this thread - the illegality of selling used games, how the companies still own all distribution rights, something about suing over the ordeal and going to court... He even takes pictures of the game as it was received, proving that it was potentially in better condition then I described...?

All his claims about having legal contact with manufacturers etc... is BS. So too his claims about eBay siding with him. He's been banned once before, and it will happen again. eBay is obviously very pro-buyer but even our buyer here is too toxic for them to deal with.

He wants free items and his money back. End of story. I suggest that you stick to your guns and see this to the end. If I understand you correctly, the return case has already opened and closed in your favour? If it's still open, force him to send the item back to you to get a refund.
"This guy has over 100 accounts".

I don't remember if eBay had a account limit but I would have assumed their systems would have picked up this red flag over here. 5? It's all good. 10? Sure fine. But 100+?

hopefully, the story ends here for me. I'm normally not the kind of guy to make posts like this. Even with some of the most difficult customers, as hard as it has hurt for them to personally insult me, I believe these are private matters and I try to move on.
However, with the possibility being that Nicholas has been potentially defrauding people for years and may continue to do so, I can't help but want to protect other sellers and make it known that this person is to be avoided and reported whenever possible.

Actually, there's one more thing you could do, if you could be as so "kind" (heh). See the sellers that have been given negative feedback by this buyer? E-mail them, ask for their experiences with this buyer, sympathise with them, and then kindly ask them to report the buyer. That's what I did (see attached files). Not too long after, he was banned from eBay, and the negative feedback he gave to other sellers also disappeared.

selleremail1.jpgselleremail2.jpgselleremail3.jpgselleremail4.jpgselleremail5.jpg

Last but not least, a bit of bonus content: a few emails I had with him before he immediately opened a return case (first post) on me back in '19.

planetnick72email.jpg

Reactions: Mygames19 and pool7

Damien

Please note I no longer work for OG.
Jan 2, 2021
Guess in the nature of being honest,

This guy tried sending OG a DMCA notice recently, which was invalid. The more we asked him to supply links to infringing content or provide more info he just got super aggressive which escalated upon each reply. He refused to supply the basics needed by law to act.

We told him unless he supplies valid info we couldn't act. That if he carried on being rude/posting threats we would ignore further messages unless he supplied the right info.

I guess this is the thread he meant, as it's the same name he used. He demanded we ban everyone who replied to this and threatened legal action over it. But without a valid DMCA let alone links I told him we couldn't act.

After reading this, there's nothing infringing and this is all freedom of speech which isn't a crime.

Mygames19

Mar 16, 2021
Hey Layzee, Thank you for your detailed response!

I'll start out by saying that I don't usually check all my buyers' feedback before shipping to them. In my 3 years of doing this, it's the first instance where that would have saved me an awful lot of headache. That may change from here onwards, though.

Red Flag 1: As weird and contradictory as his request was, I've actually gotten similarly worded requests from otherwise reasonable people before, so I wasn't starting to get worried at this point. But I probably should have noticed how his exact wording seemed a bit too... eccentric?

Red Flag 3: Yeah, that's where my concern started. I think I just got lucky I packed it the way he described wanting it, though maybe he was playing the long game all along. Who really knows other then him.

Red Flag 4: This is when I added to my next message to him that he could return it if he didn't like it. I was hoping that despite the off-the-wall personality, he would at least be a reasonable enough person to do that.... haha, my naivety got the best of me. :p

Red Flag 7: Yeah, so I didn't include a screenshot of his "Positive" feedback in my post, but if you look up the account he used with me, you can see that it's no better, and again is why I should have been checking buyer feedback.

AirQuotePositiveFeedback.png

Moving forward:
So like I said, I don't usually check buyer feedback before shipping. That's mostly on me - even if on a good day I can have 20 items to ship, I should put aside extra time to check all their feedback, which I will start doing now.

That being said... the reason I tried to "reason it out" is that I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt that they are being honest. I know other sellers understandably are more guarded and take firmer stances, but for me this is something that has worked for me for 3 years. I'm the kind of person that tries to understand where a person is coming from and try to work things out, even when it seems sometimes unreasonable. That being said, yes, when I got that wall of text I knew that there was nowhere to "meet him in the middle" so to speak and is why I reached out to eBay about it. (Well, also because he comes off as a raving lunatic).

Yeah, I'm currently of the belief that all that stuff about the manufacturers is total poppy-cock as a scare tactic, and that his "Business" (I wouldn't even call it that) is actually him reselling computer parts and using his "patented disc cleaning technology(?)" on the games he steals. :p Here's a picture of an Alibaba listing proving that he has resold at least one of his games before:

SoldPS1gamesHimself.png
(I believe this is a mirror of an Amazon listing Nicholas made some time ago... but look at that description.)

And just for kicks, here is a forum post from Mobil Arena in 2018 where he's trying to get the seller to give a partial refund because an international item is a day late...He even includes a mention of his Amazon account.

MobileArenaReimberseForRunningLate.png

I don't think the eBay rep was supposed to tell me he has that many accounts, because he seemed he was so taken aback by it he whispered it over the phone. He told me the account would be investigated and that they would IP ban him if found guilty... who knows if they actually will do that (not that an IP ban is a perfect solution, but it's better than right now).

Regarding the other sellers: That would probably be the best next course of action. I'll see if I can write something up and get in contact with them. Thanks for the suggestion!

RE: WD

Oh... so that means he's aware of this thread. Which also means he knows that this thread incriminates him, or he wouldn't be trying to have it taken down. Hmm. Well, hi Nicholas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arcadia and pool7

pool7

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
AGName
pool7
AG Join Date
2008/03/04
Considering all the evidence and the fact that he's scamming several people (that we know of... it's probably bigger numbers!), can't this be taken to the local authorities for proper/further investigation? It's the least he deserves, to be honest.

cash777

Mar 27, 2021
Hello forum, just joined to read the comments on the same guy. He's been harassing my pawn shop about us selling "bootleg" dvds to an ebay seller he has an issue with. We concluded he is calling all the local shops in the area from the said user's zip code in our area here in Florida ( we know he's in California ) and has threatened to sue us and call the FBI for a full investigation.

Mygames19

Mar 16, 2021
Hello again. I'm sure you're wondering why it's been a long while since I made a post. Well, to be frank with you, I (and more importantly, those I'm living with) are just are not comfortable with me pursuing this guy, at least in a public forum. I ship out from my living address, and it's the same return address that was on the package that was sent to Nicholas. (I'm aware this is not the wisest of choices, but I'm small potatoes and what's done is done). As you can see from Cash777's post, he will keep addresses and harass store owners near those addresses. We also know now that he's aware of this thread and could potentially be reading it's contents. I hate seeing people being defrauded, but I cannot openly put a target on my back, for the safety and comfort of my family. Sorry guys - hopefully someone in a better position then myself could do more about this.

...That being said, I can't help but snitch one more time....

It will come as slightly good news to say that the account he used with me has finally been closed! (And yeah, he changed his username at some point).
LookWhosNoLongerRegistered.png

Now, that's not to say that I didn't check his account before it closed, because look what I found:
HisListings.png

...Yeah... Mr. "It's illegal to sell games unless you're the manufacturer" actually listed some games and consoles himself. This time, it's actual evidence of his own contradictions, not from old web archives. I wouldn't be surprised if these were things he got from trying to fraud people. Also, his prices, even in this crazy market, are... interesting.

I wanted to know how it was that he justified himself, so I screenshot some of the descriptions he wrote. Answer: I don't think he ever really does. But you're welcome to read these descriptions for yourself if you want to try and figure that out, or you just enjoy reading descriptions. A fun little note: He brings up his point of view on Demo Discs in his description on his PAL PS1 system. Doesn't seem to have changed, except for I guess it's okay to sell Demo Discs if they come with something else that you are selling....

Description_ExterminationPS2.pngDescription_MetalGearSolid.pngDescription_PSP3000.pngDescription_XfilesPS1.png

Anyways, I think I've done enough ragging about this guy and his terrible abuse of online marketplaces. I'm aware there is a high probability that this guy has some sort of mental illness. I want to be clear that I'm not posting these things to make fun of someone with potential mental issues, but that what he is doing is clearly wrong, and wrongdoing deserves to be called out - especially to protect others from it. I'm really hoping that eBay looked into him and banned him for good this time, because it's clear that the situation he is in at home is enabling his bad behavior.

If any other business owner ends up having interactions with this person and comes across this thread - I'm sorry. I hope that sharing my experience will maybe help you to better understand what you're dealing with, and maybe someone who's in a better place then me could do something more drastic about his behavior. My best of luck to you.

(In the mean time, I think I'll hang around in the shadows for the Saturn prototype lot news.)

Reactions: Damien and Yakumo

layzee

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
layzee
AG Join Date
Aug 28, 2006
Hello forum, just joined to read the comments on the same guy. He's been harassing my pawn shop about us selling "bootleg" dvds to an ebay seller he has an issue with. We concluded he is calling all the local shops in the area from the said user's zip code in our area here in Florida ( we know he's in California ) and has threatened to sue us and call the FBI for a full investigation.
So he is contacting completely unrelated third parties (e.g. you) which he has no direct transaction with. We'll see where this goes.

I hate seeing people being defrauded, but I cannot openly put a target on my back, for the safety and comfort of my family. Sorry guys - hopefully someone in a better position then myself could do more about this.
That is completely understandable. Please proceed at your own discretion.

I did see the items he was selling previously but I forgot to screenshot it for informational purposes so it's good that someone did. However, I've also been quietly keeping tabs and I can offer the following:

2021-03-22feedbacknegativepositivereceived.jpg2021-03-22feedbacknegativeleftforothers1.jpg2021-03-22feedbacknegativeleftforothers2.jpg2021-03-29feedbacknegativeleftforothers3.jpg

Screenshot 1: Feedback received from others. Note the false positives (positive feedback with negative comments because sellers can't give negative feedback to buyers) which further confirms his actions towards eBay sellers. Note also what appears to be revised feedback (false positives that have comments deleted). As far as I know, he hasn't received any feedback from buyers yet.

Screenshot 2: Feedback he has given to eBay sellers. Most of it is negative. Note the negative feedback given to a seller because the seller sent a "like-new" condition item instead of a "very good" condition item.

Screenshot 3: All of the above negative feedback to sellers were removed. Note the negative feedback given and him justifying it by saying the item received was BETTER condition than expected!

Screenshot 4: The above negative feedback was removed.

To further clarify the intention of this thread, it is to document and report on this individual's unreasonable buyer behaviour to relevant current and future sellers and to help them make an informed decision on how to deal with this buyer should they end up doing business with them. This thread and the discussion contained within is a direct result of and solely because of this individual's words and actions in the marketplace and if they wish to not receive any more negative publicity then they would be advised to cease their activities and/or modify how they do business with market actors (i.e. sellers).

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Hey Layzee, Thank you for your detailed response!

I'll start out by saying that I don't usually check all my buyers' feedback before shipping to them. In my 3 years of doing this, it's the first instance where that would have saved me an awful lot of headache. That may change from here onwards, though.

Red Flag 1: As weird and contradictory as his request was, I've actually gotten similarly worded requests from otherwise reasonable people before, so I wasn't starting to get worried at this point. But I probably should have noticed how his exact wording seemed a bit too... eccentric?

Red Flag 3: Yeah, that's where my concern started. I think I just got lucky I packed it the way he described wanting it, though maybe he was playing the long game all along. Who really knows other then him.

Red Flag 4: This is when I added to my next message to him that he could return it if he didn't like it. I was hoping that despite the off-the-wall personality, he would at least be a reasonable enough person to do that.... haha, my naivety got the best of me. :p

Red Flag 7: Yeah, so I didn't include a screenshot of his "Positive" feedback in my post, but if you look up the account he used with me, you can see that it's no better, and again is why I should have been checking buyer feedback.

View attachment 10779

Moving forward:
So like I said, I don't usually check buyer feedback before shipping. That's mostly on me - even if on a good day I can have 20 items to ship, I should put aside extra time to check all their feedback, which I will start doing now.

That being said... the reason I tried to "reason it out" is that I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt that they are being honest. I know other sellers understandably are more guarded and take firmer stances, but for me this is something that has worked for me for 3 years. I'm the kind of person that tries to understand where a person is coming from and try to work things out, even when it seems sometimes unreasonable. That being said, yes, when I got that wall of text I knew that there was nowhere to "meet him in the middle" so to speak and is why I reached out to eBay about it. (Well, also because he comes off as a raving lunatic).

Yeah, I'm currently of the belief that all that stuff about the manufacturers is total poppy-cock as a scare tactic, and that his "Business" (I wouldn't even call it that) is actually him reselling computer parts and using his "patented disc cleaning technology(?)" on the games he steals. :p Here's a picture of an Alibaba listing proving that he has resold at least one of his games before:

View attachment 10780
(I believe this is a mirror of an Amazon listing Nicholas made some time ago... but look at that description.)

And just for kicks, here is a forum post from Mobil Arena in 2018 where he's trying to get the seller to give a partial refund because an international item is a day late...He even includes a mention of his Amazon account.

View attachment 10781

I don't think the eBay rep was supposed to tell me he has that many accounts, because he seemed he was so taken aback by it he whispered it over the phone. He told me the account would be investigated and that they would IP ban him if found guilty... who knows if they actually will do that (not that an IP ban is a perfect solution, but it's better than right now).

Regarding the other sellers: That would probably be the best next course of action. I'll see if I can write something up and get in contact with them. Thanks for the suggestion!

RE: WD

Oh... so that means he's aware of this thread. Which also means he knows that this thread incriminates him, or he wouldn't be trying to have it taken down. Hmm. Well, hi Nicholas.
Why are those eBay positive feedbacks actually containing negative comments? Why not use actual negative feedback? Has the eBay game became so stupid that sellers don't want to "officially" leave negative feedbacks anymore?

Damien

Please note I no longer work for OG.
Jan 2, 2021
This is honestly disgraceful, as someone who has mental health issues, along with many fellow users here this is seriously disgraceful.

Nothing in this thread is a violation of any laws and comes under free speech. This thread will remain up for the safety of any sellers who he's attempting to scam.

The good news is, he's lost another account but it is very concerning that he is harassng shops near to sellers.

Make a donation