Here are some links you may find helpful

SNES Putting Near's (v1.2) Bahamut Lagoon translation on a cartridge

jaskamakkara

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
AG Join Date
23/08/13
Hi all,

I recently put Near's excellent BL translation onto a real SNES cartridge. The game boots and runs seemingly ok (although the cut scenes are a little glitchy), but I am having problems with names and other text being loaded from memory not showing up properly.

Here is a link to a picture showing an example of the problem

Now, I have made many, many, many reproduction carts in the past so I am pretty confident I have wired it correctly (I also replaced the existing 64k RAM with a 256k RAM since apparantly this translation uses more RAM), but I am wondering if this ROM is simply incompatible with real hardware? The translation home page mentions people playing it with a flashcart, can that somehow improve performance? Also, one concerning line in the release notes for the patch is this:

"Player and dragon names are cached in memory, so they do not have to be rendered dynamically within menus."

This sounds like it might be related, any ideas?

I'd really appreciate any input on this one. Thanks all.

gorgyrip

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
gorgyrip
AG Join Date
26 octomber 2007
The added intro on the doremi translation plays fine on everdrive, but on a cart is glitchy. new super mario land plays fine on everdrive, but on a cart and only on some console, there's a line near mario.
Bahamut is hirom. you said the translation requires 32k of sram and you have added it. Are you sure it is wired correctly? for hirom, sram A13 and A14 connects to snes A16 and A17.

jaskamakkara

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
AG Join Date
23/08/13
The added intro on the doremi translation plays fine on everdrive, but on a cart is glitchy. new super mario land plays fine on everdrive, but on a cart and only on some console, there's a line near mario.
Bahamut is hirom. you said the translation requires 32k of sram and you have added it. Are you sure it is wired correctly? for hirom, sram A13 and A14 connects to snes A16 and A17.

OK thanks for the input. I have to say I wasn't aware that SRAM A13/14 were wired such, I have never checked it myself. I will correct this wiring mistake and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

jaskamakkara

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
AG Join Date
23/08/13
Got it working by fixing the SRAM wiring, thanks for your help!

gorgyrip

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
gorgyrip
AG Join Date
26 octomber 2007
I'm glad it worked!

Make a donation