Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
I purchased an Xbox Alpha tower on ebay from someone on this board. It was a bit odd because it was missing the audio card, which is the only part that doesn't seem to be sourceable OTC. No worries, I have a replica from someone on the AG boards. I'm mainly after the shell / housing / case anyway. One plastic foot was missing when I purchased this and I knew that from the start. As long as I'm putting aftermarket parts in to this thing, I mind as well fix up the broken foot.

So I've begun modeling the foot. My work is far from done. I have calipers in the mail so I can make this as accurate as possible. I have no intention of tricking a future buyer in to thinking my kit has all original parts. I plan to hold to hang on to this thing as long as I live.

I currently have some rough imperial measurements of the foot and have started working on models based on that.

The feet can rotate. On one side we have a toothed washer and a machine screw. What has me confused is the screw receptacle. This appears to be hammered in to the plastic foot. I assume the low or non-existant tolerance is what makes it stick. I'm leaning towards the latter. What is this piece called? Example in attached picture. While I'm at it, does anyone know where I can source a rubber cylindrical piece with adhesive on one side? I'm thinking I could punch it out of a sheet myself. I like the contours of the original piece though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210716_034040656.jpg
    PXL_20210716_034040656.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210716_040125587.jpg
    PXL_20210716_040125587.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210716_040139597.jpg
    PXL_20210716_040139597.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I'm not sure what they're actually called, but are you asking about the threaded insert?
It will be a metal part with splines, the plastic hole would probably have splines too. Press fit and possibly some sort of glue.

Those are used in all sorts of things... electronics, furniture, cars.

Reactions: stuntpenguin

swaglord

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
I wouldn't sweat it, the original feet are loose now from age anyway. They're supposed to snap into the metal dimples and lock in but the plastic is old.

stuntpenguin

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
I'm not sure what they're actually called, but are you asking about the threaded insert?
Yeah, would be nice to get the actual name of this part figured out.

I wouldn't sweat it, the original feet are loose now from age anyway.
I'm not too concerned about it but I got a 3D printer to replicate parts and make fun stuff. Xbox hardware and preservation is somewhat of a hobby for me so figure why not. It's a good opportunity to learn about replication and figure out how my printer works.

Reactions: Jerich0

Make a donation