Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 Questions: NTSC PS2 (Fat) with a PAL power supply - Doable? Worth it? Alternatives?

Lollie

Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
lollie.me
Hi all, looking for a little guidance.

I have two 5000X model PS2s - NTSC and PAL. I want to be able to use the NTSC PS2 without having to rely on a bulky step-down transformer, so I was hoping to remove the PSU in the NTSC model, and replace it with the PSU from the PAL model.

My biggest issue is that I have no idea how to test these PSUs/PS2s with a multimeter, so I don't know know if this PSU swap is actually a viable option. I've also noticed that the PAL PS2 is capable of 50/60Hz, while the NTSC PS2 is only rated for 60Hz - this makes me wonder if it's even worth trying in the first place.

Has anyone successfully done this sort of swap before for PS2?
Is this swap even worth doing, or does the PAL PS2 actually have advantages in this case?

Alternatively, are there any 3rd-Party replacement PSUs for PS2 Fat models? (Anything comparable to the DreamPort PSU for Dreamcast)

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
I might be wrong, but as far as I am aware, there are different power requirements for a PAL ps2 and a NTSC ps2. I don't recommend doing the swap as it could theoretically damage the components due to voltage and power differences. someone more experienced can likely give more information.

edit: anyone, please feel free to correct me.

edit 2: please see the below message by trimesh for more valid information.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
They should be interchangeable - the PSU in those models just outputs 12V and all the other rails are generated on the main board.

To be sure, just check the voltages on the 4-pin connector between the power block and the main board - the pin sequence is GND GND +12V +12V

If you are playing NTSC:J titles, you could also look for a SCPH-50006 - this is a NTSC:J console with a 220V power supply that was sold in Asian markets like HK and Singapore.

Make a donation