Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Hey!

For pokemon event distributions in Gen 4 and Gen 5, I know they used not for retail distribution cartridges and a DS system to distribute the event pokemon. Does anyone know how the Gen 6 events worked?

There are no known distribution cartridges beyond Gen 5. I'm asking because of a specific scenario.

There was a Hoopa distribution event for Gen 6 at McDonald's. I actually worked at McDonald's at the time, and I got the Hoopa from the McDonald's I worked at. But im not aware of any device that was set up to allow that to happen. And frankly, I dont think any of the people I worked with even knew what Pokemon is. I wasn't aware of any Nintendo rep showing up to set anything up (and I worked like 25 hours a day 8 days a week).

So im assuming it was something done remotely with McDonald's wifi, but im not totally sure. Is there any equipment involved in the Gen 6 Pokemon events? Does anyone know?

Pabmyster

Mar 15, 2020
AGName
Pabmyster
Glad that's the part of the post that stood out šŸ˜†
IIRC the McDonalds events just required the Wifi Access point name to specifically be "McDonald's Free Wifi", which allows you to change your wifi name wherever you are to access the event. I remember doing it from home and just going into my router settings and changing the AP name. So it seems to be activated through just connecting to the Pokemon Event servers through an AP with that name, any hardware would be on GF/TPC's end (probably just a server running the event code that it routes to).

Make a donation