Mord.Fustang

Original poster
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
Over the years I have gone through so many SD card readers... they seem to be the most unreliable piece of technology on the planet. Most I have gotten seem to randomly stop working after a short period of time, or I have to unplug it and plug it back in several times before they work.

Is there any specific (USB) SD card reader somebody can recommend that won't flake out after short use?

Thanks guys!

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Don't have a recommendation for a reader since for me, those have always worked either well or not at all (DOA). But I can say that if what you're having problems with happens to be MicroSD cards in a full size card reader (is it?), and you eventually find a reliable adapter for that - keep it safe, because those are unicorn-level rare. Those adapters are what usually breaks for me.
Generally speaking, I got the impression that the connectors on (Micro-)SD cards and/or -slots are just really, really shitty, and finding a working combination thereof is harder than it should be. Best of luck.

Mord.Fustang

Original poster
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
The full size adapters haven't been an issue for me... they work fine in devices, it's the reader themselves that always crap out. I mean over the years I've probably had like 10-20 crap out on me, the worst offenders are those internal ones.

Also before anyone suggests maybe it's my computer making them crap out, I promise it's not and it's the same thing on other machines.

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
"they seem to be the most unreliable piece of technology on the planet"

What he said ! Especially those back in the days...anyway, right now I have one of those grey 4 in 1 multicard readers (USB), which havent failed since 2 years now.

Reactions: Mord.Fustang

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I've had 2 Rosewill internal card readers, and they've both worked really well. The first one worked for like 8 years, and probably still does; I only replaced it because I wanted a USB 3.0 one. The one I have currently works pretty reliably, though it does have an issue which sometimes causes it to revert to USB 2.0 speeds; I think this is actually a problem with the MB's USB 3.0 header, not the reader itself. Anyway, I'm usually not transferring really big files from an SD card anyway, so it's not that big of an issue for me. As of right now it appears to be working at USB 3.0 speed.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Never had a problem with an SD card reader, though I'm not a frequent SD card user. Speed however, because of backwards compatibility producers often market USB card readers as a higher standard than they have, so it will work but with a lower speed than advertised.

Make a donation