Welcome to the Obscure Gamers!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Guest , A new look for OG has been released with both dark and light styles, to change please check out the left hand side of the footer to change.
    Dismiss Notice

X360 Red Dead Redemption 2009 Preview Build

Discussion in 'Beta Talk' started by Coyote010, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Coyote010

Coyote010 Member

Hello ObscureGamers,

Recently I got in my hands two discs of Red Dead Redemption preview build. These are Xbox 360 IGN reviewer DVD's from late 2009, they are marked with #8 and #9 labels (probably there are more somewhere, but I got chance only for this pair). Here you are the photo:

[​IMG]

DVD's content is equal, they are just signed for different IGN employees (you may see their names hidden because these guys may still work at IGN, and even if not, I don't want anybody get intro troubles). I even can't imagine the source of such leak, but I got this discs 8 years after. DVD’s are marked as 02/11/2009 and game was released at 18/05/2010.

It is difficult for me to convey all emotions of holding these disks in my hands, the last few days have been amazing. These are retail Xbox 360 DVD's (probably small stamped print for journalists? I do not know). I tested them on my RGH Jasper Xbox 360, and have to say that…. This is damn great. Game has multiple minor and even major differences, I only started documenting them and hope to finish this work.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unforunately, I am not a member of any collection and classic game community, so I just posted some info on Reddit, and they gave me an advice to visit your ObscureGamers forum community. You may read my previous notes in Reddit thread, I already posted various screens and 'changes' documentation between this Preview/Review build and Vanilla game.

It is necessary to understand that this is build for journalists and reviewers, and it is seems that it is not intended to be real alpha/beta/development build, but it still contains a lot of beta stuff. The most notable thing is ability to choose between two game modes: 'Storymode' and 'Freeroam'. Storymode starts from 'Exodus From America' just the same as in retail vanilla RDR, but Freeroam is the one which is really interesting.

In Freeroam game starts at Beecher's Hope with John Marston, probably at the point of John's reunion with the family. Whole map is discovered, all safehouses, etc. No storymode missions available, but in Main Menu there is an ability to choose game missions and play them. The last one is 'And The Truth Will Set You Free' (killing Dutch), which makes me guess that Rockstar showed reviewers some kind of 'happy end' with John's story, whole finale 'family' segment is missing.

More details upcoming, just need to dive deeper into the build and refresh in memory original RDR in order to compare. Right now you may check Reddit and watch screens of RDR beta fonts and UI, I made them yesterday.

Thank you for your attention, if you have questions and requests, please just ask :)

JohnnyK, RtFM, Element18592 and 12 others like this.
  2. Wombat

Gold Member

Welcome to the community @Coyote010! You sure make a smashing introduction by showcasing these treasures :) Early copies of Rockstar games are really hard to come by, so it's really cool seeing these out in the wild. Looking forward seeing the rest of your discoveries on this one.

gaming247 likes this.
  3. speedyink

Dev Kit Owner

Welcome to the site!

4. Jakeeenator

Administrator

Wow this is an amazing find! Will you be releasing footage of this build? Also welcome to the site. :)

5. Kaufman

Kaufman Member

OP shared some pictures from the build on reddit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jakeeenator and Paulweeze71 like this.
  6. Coyote010

Coyote010 Member

Hi,
    Many thanks for your kind words.

Currently I am replaying game and just beat Fort Mercer, opened Mexico. Great game! Just amazing. I figured some minor differences between finale vanilla version and review, gonna publish pieces of documentation soon.

Right now here are screens of Game Menu from this build:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In Freeroam mode there is an ability to choose missions. Because of 'MDEBUG' tittle it seems to be obsolete Rockstar 'Mission Debug' menu. Another small issue which I just noticed: look at the compass, it has different angle in comparison with finale vanilla version.

It is fun to note that the last mission in this list is 'And The Truth Will Set You Free', right at this point of plot John starts in Freeroam. So, there is no next missions of final 'family' chapter. I just want to finish game manually in Storymode in order to check if Rockstar really showed 'happy end' of Johns story to reviewers.

7. mr-marston

mr-marston Member

any chance of selling thus stuff?
    maybe DVD or game files?

8. Coyote010

Coyote010 Member

Hi mr-marston,

Sorry, I can not say anything right now about DVD’s, but I won’t share any game files because this is illegal (and twice illegal selling them). Rockstar and TakeTwo are much worried about safety of their titles including Red Dead. They already started law procedures against various modders from GTAForums boards, including those who converted RDR map to GTA.

#8 Coyote010, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Coyote010

Coyote010 Member

Hi,
    Thank you for being patient. I spent almost three weeks completing game.
    Today I gonna publish something special.

Preview Build Is Real Hardcore

Starting from 'The Assault on Fort Mercer' game becomes EXTREMELY hard. Some missions in Mexico are just unplayable, I was frustrated replaying same sequences over and over up to 15-20 times. 'The Great Mexican Train Robbery' became a nightmare, as well as 'The Gates of El Presidio' and 'An Appointed Time'. Enemy NPC are such powerful and accurate so John is ALWAYS being killed in 5 seconds in the easiest fight. I have never seen such difficulty of Red Dead before. I even don't want to mention finale US Blackwater chapter because it is also unbalanced as mess.

I guess Rockstar noted such disappointing fact and Vanilla RDR was re-scripted to be much, MUCH easier. Seriously, comparing difficultly mode in Late 2009 Preview and Spring 2010 Vanilla games bring completely different experience. I know that Game Of The Year Edition version contains Hardcore mode, and it looks like Rockstar restored some parts of original gameplay in Late 2010 GOTY.

Preview Build Is Bugged

I was not really surprised when my horse began crazy rotating with the world around and player fell through the textures, but when I saw rotating train and green-purple sky it was rather… unpredictable. Such glitches occur sometimes, fps drops below unplayable level and the only way is to reload game. Also twice I got 'infinite game load' glitch after I used campfire in order to fasttravel between Mexico and the US.

Game Is Happy End

I completed whole game story, I failed hundred of times replaying missions and reloaded console dozens of times, and I finally completed 'And The Truth Will Set You Free'. It is fun to note that after the killing Dutch sequence and small conversation with Edgar Ross, there is an objective 'Return to Beecher's Hope' which ends with the final cutscene of meeting with Jack and Abigail. In Vanilla version it was at the beginning of 'The Outlaw's Return' mission which is completely missing in Preview. So, Red Dead Redemption had a real Happy End in 2009!

No 'I Know You' Quest

It is sad but one of the best parts of Red Dead drama, a strange 'Man In Black' guy is completely missing in Preview Build. Probably he was not invented at the point of Preview, but I think they removed him knowingly (he just does not coincide with the Happy End narrative).

No Songs

There was no 'Far Away' song first time visiting Mexico and 'Compass' when returning to Beecher's Hope after killing Dutch. Probably Rockstar licensed and put them into game just before Vanilla release after someone's advice, because they are VERY suitable for both emotional game moments.

fate6, ACHEESEDANISH, Kaufman and 4 others like this.
  10. Kaufman

Kaufman Member

Thanks for providing all this information. Did you complete all the 'Strangers' quests during your playthrough?
    Were there any other quests apart from "I Know You" that isn't featured in this build?
    There were a couple of quests that were cut out of the final game, could you see whether they are featured in this build?
    They are detailed here: https://tcrf.net/Red_Dead_Redemption#Removed_Stranger_Missions

Thanks again.

#10 Kaufman, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018 at 7:31 AM
  11. Coyote010

Coyote010 Member

Hi Kaufman,

I started some strangers quests during ongoing storyline, but didn't look at them deep and/or complete. The only one issue I noted is missing 'I Know You', for the others I need to refresh in memory original Vanilla RDR. Your link is rather interesting, gonna check this.

Kaufman likes this.
  12. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Member

Can you post pictures of John wearing U.S. Marshal and Bureau Uniform?