Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

MCD Region free bios won't boot

venom

Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have repaired an early JAP sega mega-cd. It works just great now, but it still has the original bios (EPR-14563H) I have used my trusty old willem programmer to program a 27c1024 with a region free bios from l_oliveira but it doesn't boot.

I have verified it multiple times and looks like it is programmed correctly.
I programmed 3 other 27c1024 with other bioses PAL, USA and an original JAP, still nothing
I then tried some other eproms.
I tried reading the original bios and it doesn't have the usual sega header.
by that time.... šŸ¤Æ

So I guess I'm stuck with converting all my cd's over to JAP region.....

To verify my programmer still works I programmed a 27c322 with Sonic 3 complete and I can play the game just fine.... I am at a total loss at what is going wrong... any help would be very much appreciated.

gorgyrip

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
gorgyrip
AG Join Date
26 octomber 2007
Doesn't the bios requires byte swapping?

venom

Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
That's probs why then give it a try
Thanks for the bump[, but that's not the problem. I know this for sure because I did a byte swap, it's the first thing you do after you load a bin-file. The problem is more likely to be with the software or the 40pin adapter I'm using.

I did find another forum where somebody had the same problem, no solution though; MCUmall

bart_simpson

Aug 10, 2019
AGName
bart_simpson
AG Join Date
13/05/11
I can send you a region free bios preprogrammed if you like .

venom

Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
That would be really nice! I did find somebody with an eprom burner so I try that first and if that doesn't work out I will surely send you a DM.

bart_simpson

Aug 10, 2019
AGName
bart_simpson
AG Join Date
13/05/11
That would be really nice! I did find somebody with an eprom burner so I try that first and if that doesn't work out I will surely send you a DM.
no worries i noticed not everyone from ag games has moved here yet

Make a donation