Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast Release of a Technical Demo of Scud Race for Dreamcast, a new SDK for SET 2 Dev Kit and a Kamui Wrapper.

Sega Dreamcast Info

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
Release of a technical demo of Scud Race for Dreamcast, a new SDK for SET 2 dev kit and a Kamui Wrapper.

You will be able to explore this demo on your PC like a developer from the 90s.

Other demos are also present. They are not optimized. You can get an idea.

We can thank @Sifting for making the wrapper and sharing it with the community. What he has done is incredible, a big step in the preservation of Sega's latest console.

The project started in July. We are finally ready to offer you a first release. There will be updates.

You can find more information like the explanation to launch the demos, videos and the links to download the tools needed for them by reading this article :

https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-game...eamcast-scud-race-tech-demo-and-kamui-wrapper

Scud Race Dreamcast Dolphin Tunnel.jpg

Sifting

Registered
Aug 23, 2019
It was a lot of work, and there's still more to be done! there's some funny business with the drive2 demo that needs to be sorted before it will run, and a lot of the API is still stubbed out. I'm unhappy with how alpha surfaces are handled too - the pvr chip on the dreamcast supports depth independent alpha, which is quite impressive! afaik this is still quite rare on most platforms, and you must sort surfaces far to near and display them to get an approximately correct image, which is what I did, but it looks terrible.

I intend to get the code published on github too, but there's a lot fighting for my attention at the moment, but for anyone interested in hacking on it, you will need gcc in some form to compile it. clang should work too. I wrote it on Void linux and built it with the cross compiler from the cross-i686-w64-mingw32 package. you will also need the direct3d libraries.

PrOfUnD Darkness

Registered
Jul 10, 2019
It was a lot of work, and there's still more to be done! there's some funny business with the drive2 demo that needs to be sorted before it will run, and a lot of the API is still stubbed out. I'm unhappy with how alpha surfaces are handled too - the pvr chip on the dreamcast supports depth independent alpha, which is quite impressive! afaik this is still quite rare on most platforms, and you must sort surfaces far to near and display them to get an approximately correct image, which is what I did, but it looks terrible.

I intend to get the code published on github too, but there's a lot fighting for my attention at the moment, but for anyone interested in hacking on it, you will need gcc in some form to compile it. clang should work too. I wrote it on Void linux and built it with the cross compiler from the cross-i686-w64-mingw32 package. you will also need the direct3d libraries.
You did an incredible work, worth all the kudos!

Reactions: Sifting

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019

Great work as always!

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
Donations
€8.55
Thank you for this! Scud Race was indeed one of those games I had hoped would come to the DC when I bought it. Sadly, it was not to be.

So, to be clear, this demo will never come to the actual DC, right?

Sifting

Registered
Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for this! Scud Race was indeed one of those games I had hoped would come to the DC when I bought it. Sadly, it was not to be.

So, to be clear, this demo will never come to the actual DC, right?
correct. the demos are normal windows programs that required prototype graphics hardware to run, but the wrapper routes it all through direct3d, letting you run the demos with just a normal graphics card

we would need the original source code to get them working the DC, which as far as I know, does not exist in the wild. if anyone has it though, there are a lot of capable people in the scene to make the dream a reality

pato

Registered
Jan 20, 2019
correct. the demos are normal windows programs that required prototype graphics hardware to run, but the wrapper routes it all through direct3d, letting you run the demos with just a normal graphics card

we would need the original source code to get them working the DC, which as far as I know, does not exist in the wild. if anyone has it though, there are a lot of capable people in the scene to make the dream a reality
IIRC the work was supposedly done by Core Design, how far it went is unknown.