• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

REMINDER: Do not make duplicate accounts or use disposible emails!

Demon

Super Moderator
Website
www.obscuregamers.com
I'm forced to remind users today to not make duplicate accounts or use disposable emails. we've recently had an influx of users using disposable emails and making dupes.

If you make a dupe, you will be banned outright. we will not verify a dupe. disposable email users will be banned until they use a real email such as GMAIL. Your ban message will state what to do to be unbanned.

Please note we've had issues with HOTMAIL/OUTLOOK/YAHOO emails. This is out of our control sadly so we highly suggest using GMAIL as this is known to be working perfectly.

I'm not sure how people are missing the big notices we have but it's happening and I'm honestly tired of it.

View if logged in to an unverified account.

Our signup form updated stating not to use disposable emails/make dupe accounts.

If this carry's on I'll add a forced introductions system and limit the dev sections/market to people with more then 10 posts. Each user will manually be approved if this happens.

Website
www.luminarlight.tk
Couldn't you just prevent people from using disposable emails during registration? Manually blacklisting them would take some time but it would work.

EDIT: Well telling them to not use such an email is good enough I guess... but you will still need to do a cleaning if they decide to ignore that rule.

Alpha

Dev Kit Owner
Couldn't you just prevent people from using disposable emails during registration? Manually blacklisting them would take some time but it would work.

EDIT: Well telling them to not use such an email is good enough I guess... but you will still need to do a cleaning if they decide to ignore that rule.
Blacklisting never works. Most of these sites buy domains like candy.

Wombat

Gold Member
Yeah that's the shitty part here, It's a never ending mass off new domains.
Most of these temporary e-mail accounts only last around 10 minutes, easiest way to fight this is to simply announce during registration that the confirmation e-mail will be send after 15 or 30 minutes. This way you'll be able to keep out the first wave of registrations already :)

Alpha

Dev Kit Owner
Most of these temporary e-mail accounts only last around 10 minutes, easiest way to fight this is to simply announce during registration that the confirmation e-mail will be send after 15 or 30 minutes. This way you'll be able to keep out the first wave of registrations already :)
Most throwaway email sites allow you to extend your time past 10 minutes usually by adding another 10 minutes for as many times as you like. Having a second email confirmation a few days (maybe a week) later might help with the problem but otherwise it's down to manual moderation by hand.

Wombat

Gold Member
You are right @Alpha, however this does mean a user will need to keep his/her browser open for 30 or 60 minutes while extending their lease of the temp email. In other words, this is quite a hurdle and it might already demotivate a portion of the users who would like to go through this route.

Basically this is like DRM. The good users get hurt the more hurdles are being put up, while those who want to cause mischief will still be able to do so. But surely @Demon and the team will find a good balanced way to deal with this.

Demon

Super Moderator
Website
www.obscuregamers.com
You are right @Alpha, however this does mean a user will need to keep his/her browser open for 30 or 60 minutes while extending their lease of the temp email. In other words, this is quite a hurdle and it might already demotivate a portion of the users who would like to go through this route.

Basically this is like DRM. The good users get hurt the more hurdles are being put up, while those who want to cause mischief will still be able to do so. But surely @Demon and the team will find a good balanced way to deal with this.
I did suggest a 10 posts rule to @Jakeeenator @Paulweeze71 @gaming247 the other day on the Discord staff chat. but we couldn't find a way to make it fair without being too harsh.

I was proposing locking all section dev/market until 10 posts, however all other areas would be open. Along with PM's being unable to be personally sent until 10 posts but they could get/reply to those. We kinda gave up on that..