Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Resident Evil: is it too oversaturated?

The Saunders child

Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
I've been a fan since 1999, but I find that nowadays that Capcom has been churning out too much RE stuff. That new Netflix series for example, has gotten so many negative reviews.

The remakes of both 2 and 3 were disappointing, mainly because they omitted so much content from the originals. The 2002 remake did not do this. It mostly kept things the same, whilst being able to present itself as a massive improvement. Even though that's a GameCube title, the graphics in the mansion still look stunning to look at in 2022.

Two other things I hate are Capcom going back to Raccoon City repeatedly, even though it was nuked in the timeline, way back in 1998. The other problem I have is that RE4 is a great game, but a terrible RE game in general. For what does it really have to do with the prior RE games? They have a little announcement at the beginning of the game, just to say Umbrella went bankrupt. But that didn't feel all that satisfying, especially as it felt cheap and lazy to use a narrative to avoid creating a fully fledged experience. But in my opinion, RE has very weird storylines these days, that nobody should be taken it seriously anyway. Capcom just uses the franchise now to both tinker aobut with, and for being a cash cow.

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
I love RE1, 4, 7 and 8.

2 had a great start. The remake had the same nice start. 3 wasnt for me.

4 is a bit "fantasy magic" later on, I fully agree, but I enjoyed playing it on PS2 and again in VR. Awesome feeling to see it all like this again !

7 felt a bit like 1 in the end. Great ! Maybe thats why I enjoyed it so much. The lovely family...the game was well done.

8 is different for sure, but they put a lot of love into it in my opinion. I love the world.
Yet there is this "fantasy magic" just like in 4...which does not have the look & feel of Resident Evil (1).

Those spinofs, like shooters and survivor are better without the name Resident Evil in it.
Some are decent time wasters.

In the end, Part 1 was the true Resident Evil. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: The Saunders child

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I definitely like the older RE games more than the newer ones. My favorites are the RE1 remake, RE2, and Code: Veronica. I’ve been playing the RE2 remake recently, and I do like it, although I wish they’d taken an approach more similar to the RE1 remake. I remember before RE4 came out, they showed prototype footage of an early version that was more like the previous games with the fixed camera angles - and there was some type of living fog that attacked the character. I think that would’ve been a much better direction for the series to go in - it’d be cool if that version would leak some day.

The Saunders child

Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
I agree. The later games have too much in the way of fantasy hockum. Ogres. Druids. Vampires. They all feature. But at least some games had a wide range of enemy types.

In RE7, they basically repeatedly have you shooting at the same looking black mould creatures for most of the game. When you play the DLC, you encounter some bigger ones in these caves. And you play Chris, and he thinks he's Rocky Balboa, doing uppercuts on each one. It didn't even really look like Chris either. LOL!

The series is rather crap now, to be honest. But they obviously make a lot of money over there at Capcom HQ. :D

GiroNeko

Registered
Jul 3, 2021
Doing the same thing with the same ideas can get tiresome, and it seems that between 3 and Code Veronica they tried different aproaches. And for me that's a double edged sword, as the same time they try to inovate, they warp and bend the vision of what is resident evil after all. As you said about RE4, I feel the same about RE7. Great game, but it doesn't seem like a good resident evil? Strange isn't it?
The remakes, at least for me, felt like a breath of fresh air, but if you think, it's just the same idea rebaked into a new gameplay with good graphics. Not saying that I'm not happy with it, but I really feel like resident evil should move forward and have a proper story, and if those remakes aren't able to carve a path to do that, we are bound to experience the same cycle of remakes that captalizes on nostalgia from fans.

The Saunders child

Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
Me personally, I thought the remakes were awful. The guns feel awkward and they made every area look way too dark.

With how they designed everything, you would think an emo like Robert Smith from the Cure had directed these games.

Besides that, they changed enemies and removed some as well. The original plants are gone, sans one dead one against a window in the lab. The rest are these Venus Flytrap looking, humanoid versions. Then you have the zombies, now serving as these annoying bullet sponge undead. Then with RE3, they had Nemesis vanishing through ceilings like Batman, or whatever. He also cannot even get past a measly gate, and he has a rocket launcher.

It's just really boring and crappy, and Ada is also too PG looking. It's so sad. Not to mention her scanning tool. That's odd. She didn't even use anything like that in the original version.

onza120

Registered
Jun 30, 2019
AGName
onza120
AG Join Date
Apr 24, 2013
I've been a fan since 1999, but I find that nowadays that Capcom has been churning out too much RE stuff. That new Netflix series for example, has gotten so many negative reviews.

The remakes of both 2 and 3 were disappointing, mainly because they omitted so much content from the originals. The 2002 remake did not do this. It mostly kept things the same, whilst being able to present itself as a massive improvement. Even though that's a GameCube title, the graphics in the mansion still look stunning to look at in 2022.

Two other things I hate are Capcom going back to Raccoon City repeatedly, even though it was nuked in the timeline, way back in 1998. The other problem I have is that RE4 is a great game, but a terrible RE game in general. For what does it really have to do with the prior RE games? They have a little announcement at the beginning of the game, just to say Umbrella went bankrupt. But that didn't feel all that satisfying, especially as it felt cheap and lazy to use a narrative to avoid creating a fully fledged experience. But in my opinion, RE has very weird storylines these days, that nobody should be taken it seriously anyway. Capcom just uses the franchise now to both tinker aobut with, and for being a cash cow.
Couldn’t agree more tbh. Games have lost their soul for some time now.

Antviau

Registered
May 17, 2020
AGName
Antviau

I think so, the franchise has been going in circles for a while now.

Moondog

Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Moondog
AG Join Date
Nov 21, 2010
Yes, just like many other things. I would have been happy if the entire series had ended with RE0 on the N64. I've never liked remakes, endless sequels, or remasters.

Make a donation