Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Resource to learn how to use soldering iron to fix joysticks, consoles etc. ?

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
So I've broken yet another set of PS1 dualshock vibrator cables. I hate them, no matter how gentle I am while cleaning and then reassembling the controller (which is hell to do), they always break. This time they ALL broke, both motors, both red and black.

So I think it's the good time to buy a cheap soldering iron and fix the mess. Will a 40W or 60W be OK? Do I need to add some metal or can I just heat the end of the cable and the connecting point on the PCB, and stick them together?

Maybe there's a good VG- soldering resource out there... send me the link:):)

(I know I can just buy a new controller, but this controller came in the box of a complete unit, i really want to keep it together)

Tobyrieper

Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
TobyRieper
AG Join Date
24th Dec 2018
They are tiny wires bud, just gotta take it easy. Get yourself a 60 watt soldering iron station. A hakko clone should be good enough. I use yihua's they don't break the bank and are a lot better then those cheapo plug in wands.

I used eev blog tought me most i know. Been doing it for about 3 years now. You can check out Daves YouTube channel 'eevblog ' or do a Google search; there's heaps of good stuff on there.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
yeah i got annoyed and they snapped, it was midnight and the thing wouldn't put back together, a moment of craziness, a lifetime of regret

thanks i will get a 60w one if possible :)

i read that being such a small wire, i can just heat the end of the wire and "attach" it back. will be checking some resources you mentioned, thanks again

Reactions: Tobyrieper

Ergot

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
A 25-30w soldering iron will be fine for small wires like this. You need to tin the wire before you reattach it.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
craps just bought a cheap 60W one with wooden handle, I feel like it's 1985 again.
now checking how to tin a wire and ill be on my way soon.
hopefully i can still do it with the 60W one? or will it damage the tiny wires?

Tobyrieper

Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
TobyRieper
AG Join Date
24th Dec 2018
Just use a lower heat maybe try 280 degrees C and go up from there. Make sure you use flux too :) I use my 60 watter for everything for small (tiny wires) bit less heat and a smaller tip,

LeHaM

Jul 3, 2019
AGName
LeHaM
AG Join Date
Wattage isn't as important as having a temperature controlled iron

buy a hakko clone, if you can afford the extra money buy a T12 cartridge one (don't run over 390c)

Here is a video I made about mine:

The "genuine" amtech flux on aliexpress is pretty good, I use it for micro BGA work, works fine (just doesn't like certain cleaners)

All in all, you'll only need like $50 USD to get a good kit

Make a donation