Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Rest in Peace AssemblerGames, Welcome back ObscureGamers? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today a huge blow was landed on the community, Kevin the owner of AssemblerGames announced the sites closure within 30 days.

With not much time to plan ahead, I've temporarily closed our other site Prototopia and transferred the PT license to OG. This has given me the chance to relaunch OG which thankfully I got the domain back for after the old owner closed it.

I'm currently trying to archive as much of AssemblerGames as possible and will post the archive here once it's finished. It'll be around 20GB.

I'm not wishing to tread on anybody toes, nor start drama and this relaunch is simply to give the community someplace safe to reside incase the worst outcome of AG really closing happens.

This new OG is being rebuilt from scratch, with community input, so for now it'll be very basic features wise. If you wish to chat with us you can join the OG/PT Discord with the following link: https://discord.gg/dNYnFwp this will give temporary access to the AG-Future room.

For now I'm not going to focus on builds or anything but saving the community. If you have any suggestions please let me know thank you!

Regards,
Damien/Demon

EDIT: Regarding themes, For now I've updated the old OG theme license that was the paid version of what AG uses. I've changed the colors to reflect AG giving any users a familiar feel. No intention to rip AG off but I feel for now it'll be more friendly to users and warming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Return to: Site News
Obscure Gamers has some good people behind it. Hopefully the site can grow in to a spiritual successor for Assembler Games without all the drama.

Does anyone else think there's a possibility that Kevin might spring a last minute surprise and somehow do the bare minimum to keep ASSEMbler open after its recently announced expiration date? I just get a feeling we've not seen the end of this drama

I think even if the site goes away it will be back at some point, just a feeling I have.

The site could be run for a fraction of the cost per month and even generate enough revenue be self sufficient.

Assembler doesn't seem to wish to go that route however, which I can respect as its his site at the end of the day. It just seems a shame to close the community that has built up without taking advice from people who could help it run more effectively and stay online.

I've seen countless offers in the last few days from people I'd not only consider qualified enough to keep running ASSEMbler in Kev's absence, but certain names keep getting brought up. The sad fact remains that he's not interested in letting go, and would clearly rather the whole site vanish rather than handing over control. I'm also sure we've not seen the end of it, but for now I think most of us just want to move on and continue doing what we do best...

Hey all! Came over from assembler :)

What are the chances of getting a 3DO / M2 sub forum? My useless knowledge has to have somewhere to go lolol

Glad to be here!

Reactions: 1
I had very high hopes for the earlier incarnation of OG, so let's keep our fingers crossed that a healthy scene is maintained this time around - the prototype scene deserves to continue thriving
Although I agree with you, it must be remembered that we are not just a 'prototype scene', people have different reasons for being here.
Some people are in this community because of their interest in betas, others may be interested in development hardware or console modding.

The previous incarnation of OG seemed heavily focused on betas/preservation, maybe to its detriment.
Hopefully this time around the discussions will be more broad and more mature (thanks to dickbutts and fridge DRM being sectioned off)

Although I agree with you, it must be remembered that we are not just a 'prototype scene', people have different reasons for being here.
Some people are in this community because of their interest in betas, others may be interested in development hardware or console modding.

The previous incarnation of OG seemed heavily focused on betas/preservation, maybe to its detriment.
Hopefully this time around the discussions will be more broad and more mature (thanks to dickbutts and fridge DRM being sectioned off)
This is largely what we are going for this time around. We realised that we were too narrow-minded the last time around and have been making an effort to broaden our horizons this time. We are also trying to be more user focussed and take suggestions onboard.

Does anyone else think there's a possibility that Kevin might spring a last minute surprise and somehow do the bare minimum to keep ASSEMbler open after its recently announced expiration date? I just get a feeling we've not seen the end of this drama, though I'd rather we had a clean slate without that kind of threat hanging over us, never mind the forum being a virtual ghost town for months, perhaps because most people were scared off by what happened to the previously reliable moderators. I had very high hopes for the earlier incarnation of OG, so let's keep our fingers crossed that a healthy scene is maintained this time around - the prototype scene deserves to continue thriving, especially as there's still so much we've yet to enjoy that I just know is out there, waiting to be released... AG at its peak was a brilliant resource, and I'm sure that level of activity can be achieved again with many of the same people on board!
Yeah I think he will but at this point idc. I mean of course it would be great to keep that site up for archive sake, but unless he hands it over to someone else it's done. It's been running with 0 moderators for like a year if I'm not mistaken

I'm sad about Assembler Games imminent closure, one of my favourite gaming communities ever since I discovered it for the first time some eleven years ago. I will miss everything that the "home of the obscure" has given to us in all these years.

I'm glad that Obscure Gamers seems like it's going to be its spiritual successor, pretty much mirroring its overall look and structure. I hope its fanbase and content will grow as much as Assembler Games reached over the years.

This is largely what we are going for this time around. We realised that we were too narrow-minded the last time around and have been making an effort to broaden our horizons this time. We are also trying to be more user focussed and take suggestions onboard.

I only mentioned the beta/preservation aspect because that seems to be where most of my own interest was, but I'm pleased to see the modding and devkit portions will be expanded out - any community being more diverse in its scope can't be a bad thing, especially when there's so much potential for crossover of information...

Reactions: logi26
A refugee from over at Assembler myself.

While it's a shame to see it go, events over the last few months have kind of been pointing to this, so it was no real shock, honestly.

Fellow refugee here. I've been inactive on assembler for years but I still feel a bit sad about its closure. Hopefully OG can become a new home!

Another refugee. I went inactive too as I somehow sensed the storm that destroyed the place. Was sonicdude10 over there. Name is long dead. I go by this now.

it is nice to see more people joining here... hi all!

edit: what's the deal with that refugee title?

D
I offered to buy AssemblerGames and really wanted it to stay. The more I am seeing people join and post here, I think it's best that this site is here and Assembler is closing. Assembler has some information that no other site has, I see this site replacing it. Sometimes, some things need to die, so new things can grow. AG had it's up and downs, but after the last "down", I never saw it getting out of its funk. Long term members stopped posting, emotions got of control, and bad actors ruined the site.

I've been sitting on a pile of betas I've been wanted to share (by posting videos), but never could really get motivated enough to do it. AG had become stale right after I had bought all the stuff to make quality videos. With that said, this site is the fresh air the proto community needs. I don't want this site to be a 1:1 clone of AG, I want it to be the next chapter in the proto community. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

D
It may be best to suggest that everyone on AssemblerGames change their sig to this,

"Sad AG is closing? Sign up on the new Obscure site that's taking its place, https://www.obscuregamers.com"

That will help people that aren't' aware of all the craziness that's going on (drive-bys, ect)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Make a donation