XBONE Retroarch is on the Microsoft store lol

GoTeamScotch

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
Been loving using RetroArch on my Series X. Runs games surprisingly well. If people don't have to do whitelisting... even better!

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Wow that is pretty awesome. So I guess you have to add the games via USB drive and they will allow you to play them that way? Pretty cool.

stuntpenguin

Donator
Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
QZARCH-[XS]

So someone slipped this through? Probably just someone who said fuck it. Be wary that it could be someone looking to harvest your personal info. On the other side, could be someone having fun.

Some years ago I had a shitty snake clone on the store. It really contained a reverse shell allowing me to poke around in retail SRA appcontainer. Obviously I was stuck in the appcontainer... Had the opportunity to poke at some things I was exploring in dev though. IIRC Its an automated process to get approved. Maybe they did something to pass the checks? In the end, my app was removed because of some claim from a China based entity. It'll be interesting to see how long this sticks around.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Been loving using RetroArch on my Series X. Runs games surprisingly well. If people don't have to do whitelisting... even better!
Do you have to switch between regular and developer mode when switching between Xbox games and RetroArch?

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Does this only load roms via Edge browser downloads?
Also, does it have any file type (eg: can't use iso) or size limitations?

Hazard

Incinerator
Donator
Registered
Jun 4, 2020
Donations
£10.00
Does this only load roms via Edge browser downloads?
Also, does it have any file type (eg: can't use iso) or size limitations?
I tried from a usb hdd with:
super mario 64. Works perfect.
Some psx isos "black screen".
Dreamcast in GDI restart to main menu
Gamecube "error loading content"
System 22 (mame-current, mame 2016, mame 2000) "loading machine 93% freezes"
Ps2 two diferents iso restart to main menu
System 11 (mame-current) restart to main menu
Snes (sn9x-current) world soccer, california games runs perfect

Edit I utilized to compare the dev version with the same games and all errors are the same. The same crashes and black screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadlegion

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I tried from a usb hdd with:
super mario 64. Works perfect.
Some psx isos "black screen".
Dreamcast in GDI restart to main menu
Gamecube "error loading content"
System 22 (mame-current, mame 2016, mame 2000) "loading machine 93% freezes"
Ps2 two diferents iso restart to main menu
System 11 (mame-current) restart to main menu
Snes (sn9x-current) world soccer, california games runs perfect

Edit I utilized to compare the dev version with the same games and all errors are the same. The same crashes and black screens.
From what I've read PS2 won't work on XB1/S but it will on Series S/X. I have no idea if that's true though, I guess it seems possible the hardware is too weak?
It would be interesting to know if some PS2 games (less demanding) would work on XB1X... same with Gamecube and DC. Although for all of those platforms I'm pretty much covered atm without resorting to emulation on PC, so no big deal. In fact I'm covered for a lot of platforms anyway but I'm always interested in emulating other platforms on consoles.

Seems odd that some PS1 games won't work, I assume you did try beetle?

Thanks for testing and posting your findings :)
Good to know USB loading and ISO images work.

n99k3d

Weird Stuff Collector
Registered
Jun 27, 2019
Tryed this out on my OG Xbox One and it works Great!

If you want to get past the Blackscreen of Beetle PSX SW/HW you'd need to put the SCPH5500/01/etc. BIN Files into the Folder "System" of RetroArch. As far as i have read this is possible with a Tool called "DurangoFTP" but i havent tryed that out yet.

(You can Download DurangoFTP through MS Edge on the Xbox afaik)

I went the direct Route of Starting my PSX ISO's with PCSX-Rearmed as it is able to Emulate BIOS.

After that i tryed Nintendo 64 Emulation and to my Surprise it Runs "Banjo Kazooie Beta" more Fluid than even my PC-Rig :D Hydro Thunder also works great with most of the time running at 59.94 FPS (there are some slight slowdowns when a lot of NPC's are in the same Frame though)

I've tryed Sega Saturn Games too but these give me a "Unrecognized Media Error" same thing seems to happen to me with .CCD Files

And i Tryed PRDoom , and Doom to my Surprise also Runs at Full 60 FPS which is Great - with that i found out that Saving inside the "LocalState" Folder inside the Retail Xbox where RetroArch then is installed to is possible :)

Also dont enable FPS Display while in 3D Scenes as the Calculation of the FPS seems to Slow Down the Whole Console ...

The Biggest Problem i have had with RetroArch was that my Controller wasnt Recognized so i had to Set it up Manually with having the "Close Content" and the "Open Menu" Buttons set through a Button Combination (L1+SELECT = Close Content | L1+START = Restart Game | L1+R2 = Open Menu)

This then Enabled me to Setup the PCSX Rearmed to "Remove PS Anti-Colorbanding Dithering" which also yields a slight Plus of FPS.

EDIT : Oh and umm.. i would strongly suggest to keep your Console Offline. While looking through the Partitions i've noticed a Folder called "BlackBox" this seems to suggest that there is a Security Logger in Place. And i assume that when using DurangoFTP while Online and Logged into your MS Account the Blackbox thingy could throw a Check Flag at Microsofts Xbox Live Servers...

This is just an assumption though , as i know that the PS3 had similar Security Checks in correspondence to the Master Servers. Also Microsoft Store has it's own Partitions relating to Security Check Overlays (which makes sense on a Console). Plus , i was once tooling around with Forza Horizon 3 Debug , and as soon as you Modify just one Container everything breaks.

I'll leave mine on Offline and Logged Out just for Safety as i dont want to loose my Account just because im able to see the Inner Workings of a Retail Xbox One...

Last edited:

DocStatic97

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
It would actually be quite interesting to see what's inside the Xbox's XVD files not gonna lie.

stuntpenguin

Donator
Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
It would actually be quite interesting to see what's inside the Xbox's XVD files not gonna lie.
At one point the retail update XVD could be mounted from within dev. Of course, you had to have a shell or code execution in SRA. It wasn't too difficult at the time and they (M$) didn't care to fix that access. I'm not sure how it is now. I stepped away.

For a while I had SRA retail access (limited) and could could modify gamesaves which were loaded by games in ERA. One particular game had gamesaves in the form of LUA variables. The thing was, it was LUAJIT. Was able to use FFI (Foreign Function Interface) to do some cool things. Had a peek around in the ERA VM. Found some wacky ass tactic to dump data back to SRA like 1k at time. Ended up dumping the executable for that game. First person to do that... that I know of. Pretty worthless feat though. To do anything fun you need to break through to host. Hard to break what you can't see. There are similarities with Wangblows but I digress. The game I dumped had an FTP server for crashdumps and the password was hardcoded. "ftp". By the time I got to it, it had already been commandeered. Fun times. It started falling apart when the bad boi got in trouble. Got accused of being a mole haha. After being trusted again I left for my own reasons. Can't even find the bros I used to talk to every day now. They were probably the most capable group around to hack the xbox one. The tools, knowledge, and keys are out there. I'm afraid they won't be the answer. Got a fun write what where that hasn't been patched.

Silly rant. What do you want to see?

Make a donation