Welcome to the Obscure Gamers!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DC Russian & Hong-Kong silvers

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by Wombat, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wombat

Gold Member

As many of you probably know there are quite some professionally but clearly unlicensed, pressed discs out there for the Dreamcast, mainly released in Russia and Hong Kong. In this thread I hope to uncover some of these discs and would like to start a dialoge with other owners of these discs to see if we can find any interesting materials on them (it's not unusual for these pirates to source beta copies and release them as is).

Out of curiosity and novelty I purchased a couple of Russian discs: Half-Life, the Ultimate DOOM (which actually only contains DOOM 2) and Quake. I was surprised to find out that all three are fully translated into Russian. Obviously these aren't the most interesting ones to inspect, seeing Quake is 'just' the tech-demo made by Titanium Studios, but then translated form. And DOOM 2 is just a home-brew port. Most likely Half-Life is based upon the leaked beta from back in the day.

From a trade years ago I also have a HK silver of Fighting Force 2. This is actually a pressed disc without any self boot added to it, so you'll actually have to resort to using the Utopia bootdisc to boot it. I'll place a print out of the disc directory, perhaps someone familiar with Fighting Force 2 can asses if it's just a bootleg of the retail version or if it's an earlier build.

Paulweeze71 and Demon like this.
  2. Demon

Administrator

I never knew there was pressed silver Dreamcast bootlegs. really cool to see!

I've heard the rumor there's Russian bootlegs which are infact betas too. Just not really had a look into this myself. (This was PS1 mind you.)

Wombat likes this.
  3. Wombat

Gold Member

Exactly, because of those rumors and actual pirated copies that have been found to be betas, I decided to dive in what I have myself. That being said, I have not been able to inspect the contents of my Fighting Force 2 disc my PC refuses to read the disc.

Demon likes this.
  4. puregreen

puregreen Member

Here's my copy of Half-Life with a different cover art. Btw, notice the misspelled "HFLF LIFE" title lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chex Quest, a weird Doom-like shooter.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wombat and Paulweeze71 like this.
  5. Wombat

Gold Member

Thanks for chiming in @puregreen! Is your copy of Chex Quest also translated into Russian?

6. MrMario2011

Dev Kit Owner

There's silvers of everything, dude! Although on my trips to the middle east I just got exposed to PS1/PS2 silvers, and only ever saw one Xbox silver! The last time I went I saw one shop with some 360 games, but I believe that was the only exception as I'm pretty sure those were just burned.

7. Miloxydia

Miloxydia Member

Usually what happened in Russia was they get their hands on review copies and use those to translate, which is why you see slight differences in a lot of them.

Most of the bootleg Russian translations are good translations too, a few bootleggers (Vektor) even completely dubbed most of their games.

Wombat and Paulweeze71 like this.
  8. Wombat

Gold Member

That's really impressive. While searching for Russian releases I also found quite a few Japanese exclusives released in that matter. Surely there have been a couple really skillful programmers going trough all the code of these games getting them to play in Russian!

9. Miloxydia

Miloxydia Member

Oh there are plenty of skilled Russian programmers doing this stuff, especially within the first 10-15 years after Soviet union.

I have encountered a lot of interesting Mega Drive bootlegs from the mid 90s. I have a Russian bootleg of the Japanese version of Contra where there was no attempt to translate it but they did try to PAL optimize it.

The better known bootleggers really tried to do good work, I remember Vektors bootleg of RE:CV actually had small bits of the FMV changed up so that lip syncing was a bit better. For example, if the Russian dialogue was longer than the English, they would splice in a 3rd person perspective for a few seconds to cover it up. Edit:in hindsight, this could have been audio/video timing being off because I was playing it o the wrong region console, but I don't think it was.

There's tons of Russian torrent sites with their bootlegs all over it, I've tried to go through a few but I've never noticed any changes.

I'm not too versed with Dreamcast lingo, what exactly does "pressed silver" mean?

#9 Miloxydia, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Wombat likes this.
  10. Wombat

Gold Member

Interesting read @Miloxydia, thanks for sharing! To answer your question, basically there are 2 type of discs
    1. Pressed ones from a factory (these are "silver" colored)
    2. And those one are burned on recordable medium
    So in this case with pressed silvers it refers to a professionally factory pressed/made discs :)

11. Miloxydia

Miloxydia Member

Thats what i thought, but thanks for confirmation.

I've never ran into non-pressed DC games from Russia, but I only have what I've picked up from a few friends over there (Vektor and Kudos bootlegs).

I wonder if they did them domestically, or had them done in China?