Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
Hello, everyone!

We at Super Fighter Team are pretty jazzed to reveal our latest passion project to the world: Sango Fighter Special Edition. :D

Official website and Direct download

You know Sango Fighter, don'cha? Published in 1993 by Panda Entertainment, it was one of the first fighting games to truly make a big splash on MS-DOS based PCs. It certainly left an impression on me, to the point where I acquired the rights to it in 2009 [!].

Now here we are in 2021, and what do we have to show for it? Well... quite a lot, actually.

Our new edition of the game features:

· All of your favorite generals, + that pesky li'l soldier!
· MS-DOS and Super A'can versions of each general, with some BIG differences between 'em!
· A high energy remix of the soundtrack, with add'l tracks.
· Improved, rebalanced fight system.
· We even brought in a Taiwanese voice actor to serve as the fight announcer!
· Oh! And support for 3 languages: English, Chinese, Japanese. Neat!!

So if you've always loved the MS-DOS version of Sango Fighter but it left you wanting more, and / or if you're intrigued by the hobbled Super A'can version but don't want to waste hundreds of dollars to buy it... then I think you'll be fairly pleased with what we've accomplished here. ;)

Ah... but wait! I know what some of you purists might be thinking:

"Bah! What's with all these newfangled 'features?' The original game is fine just the way it is!!" or "What the hell is a Super A'can?!!"

And that's fine, 'cuz we planned ahead for that: In addition to the new & improved "Enhanced" mode, Sango Fighter Special Edition features a "Classic" mode, which ONLY uses content from the MS-DOS version, including 100% hardware accurate recordings of the Ad Lib (YM3812) soundtrack! W0w!

Truly there is something for everyone. It's a Christmas miracle. So! Please try out the game. Share it with your friends. And feel welcome to share your feedback with all of us.

Thanks! Enjoy!! And best wishes for 2022.

sango01win.gif
sango02win.gif

sango03win.gif
sango04win.gif

sango05win.gif
sango06win.gif

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
We've since released an updated version with a few bug fixes. Same download link as in the first post.

Also! Fighter biographies w/complete special & super move lists are available on our website. Each one includes cool new pixel artwork of the fighters, based on the hand-drawn artwork from the original instruction manual. Here's a neat example...

zhaoyun.gif

Reactions: wheelaa

wheelaa

Marty fan
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
wheelaa
AG Join Date
12 April 2005
Sango Fighter is certainly 'Special' lol.

Congrats on the release and updates though, awesome stuff!

Trenton_Net

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
While I commend the effort, I must admit I initially fell on the side of "What the heck? The original game is fine just the way it is!". :) I immediately went to classic mode, in search of that original San Guo Zhi feel I remembered so long ago. However, after some additional inspection it seems like there are quite a few differences that look interesting in Enhanced mode (Better combos/juggling, 4 basic attacks instead of 2, etc).

If I had one suggestion about the game, I wish there was a way to enable enhanced mode, but use the original soundtrack instead of the remixed music. Another possible suggestion coming from an old-school player, maybe have an option to keep the original command inputs for characters in enhanced mode. Aside from being unfamiliar with the new move inputs, I thought some of the original inputs (ie. back, forward, attack) were done intentionally to make the moves a little less trivial to pull off. Making everything a quarter circle forward (ie. Fireball) motion makes it a little too easy to do everything (Similar to games like X-Men Vs SF which are intentionally combo heavy).

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old DOS gamer, but that's how I feel. I suspect making the soundtrack option wouldn't be too hard, but I the move input reverting/change option might be a little too annoying/difficult to implement. Though if these changes were possible, I'd probably consider the enhanced version the undisputed definitive version.

PS: +1M Panda points for including a Linux version!

Edit: Since the audio isn't encoded in any special way, I suppose the ghetto mod would be to just replace the remixed tracks manually with the original track data. And upon even closer inspection, I just realized that most of this is just LUA code and scripts. So one could pretty much just change anything they wanted. +1M Panda points for easy mods! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, thanks for sharing your feedback.

"Classic" mode was a must for me, because I'm so enamored of the DOS game. I also knew there'd be some other folks who were content enough with the original to play w/o enhancements, & be stoked to hear the original Ad Lib soundtrack. And since the release, I've received e-mails from some diehard fans which reflect this.

What's truly special about "Enhanced" mode is the ability to fight with (and against) the Super A'can versions of each general. That's come as a shock to many, who had absolutely no idea that a console port of Sango Fighter even existed. It was twice the work, but totally worth it.

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
"SANGOOOO FIGHTER"

"HOW SPETTA UP"

Jesus, I thought noone will ever talk about Sango Fighter again. :'D

We had it on some shareware CD back in the days and it was truly awesome to play such a game, lagfree, on our old DOS computer.
This felt so different back then, quite unreal...as DOS games were different atround that time, even if we had freaky stuff like "Commander Keen" already.

And here we are in 2022. Where the new owner of Sango Fighter releases it...and ya, we never purchased it back then, because purchasing such games back in the days as a kid was simply impossible here.

Will start it now !

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
Thanks for sharing your memories of the DOS game. I hope you enjoy the new version, and look forward to your feedback.

As a kid, I had the pirated Chinese version downloaded from a local BBS. But I think purchasing the rights made up for it. 😇

BTW: The full story behind Sango Fighter (and Super Fighter!) is pretty interesting, if I do say so myself. If any of y'all are curious, you can read about it here...

Super Fighter versus Sango Fighter: Chinese War Ends in America

Also, you mentioned Commander Keen; we licensed & developed "Keen Dreams" for Android: also available as a free download. ;)

Trenton_Net

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
Thanks for sharing your memories of the DOS game. I hope you enjoy the new version, and look forward to your feedback.

As a kid, I had the pirated Chinese version downloaded from a local BBS. But I think purchasing the rights made up for it. 😇

BTW: The full story behind Sango Fighter (and Super Fighter!) is pretty interesting, if I do say so myself. If any of y'all are curious, you can read about it here...

Super Fighter versus Sango Fighter: Chinese War Ends in America

Also, you mentioned Commander Keen; we licensed & developed "Keen Dreams" for Android: also available as a free download. ;)

Was that pirated version released by the Vagboys (?) and required a colorful TSR to bypass the manual check correctly?

PS: Any possibility of a Sango Fighter 2 SE? It has more fighters and was considered a great improvement over the original fighting engine. For that matter, how about using AI packages to interpolate more frames of animation? For example:

9LzLVM.png

Trenton_Net

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
Random question: Is the AI of the computer player the same as the DOS game? I seem to recall that when a general retreats, they will slowly move back and block any attack you do. However, if you are in throw range ,you can still hurt them. In this version, it seems like they're just straight up invincible?

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
* About Sango2:

Well, we own the rights to that'n too, so it's certainly possible. But kindly understand, we just spent the better part of a year working with the first game. It's time to rest. 😴
However, if we do ever end up working on Sango2, it'll be announced here... when it's done.

In the mean time, we released an updated version of Sango Fighter 2 for DOS back in 2013, which includes a full English translation, bug fixes, combination of the best elements of the floppy disk and CD-ROM versions of the game, et Cetera. It was a big undertaking, with a very personally rewarding result.

* About AI:

It's been completely reprogrammed from the ground up, for a variety of reasons.

Hayden46

Jul 9, 2021
AGName
Hayden46
AG Join Date
09 Juli 2021
this is awesome!!!!! hope there is a ton of new characters

Make a donation